• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

I can't use search, is there a thread about ketosis?

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
I was thinking of trying a keto diet, suddenly I like diets.

I want to burn some fat for whatever reason. I'm sure there are other threads about intermittent fasting, etc., does anyone have a list?

Thanks.

sestir

Bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
I found one thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=34398.0
It is about Paleo diet and Orthonorm brings up ketosis.

A vegetarian alternative, if you want a high protein to carb ratio, could be protein powder. I tried brown rice powder recently and made pancakes which tasted like a cross between waffles and fried chickens.

Golgotha

Reaction score
I wonder if there was ever an ascetic that fasted so much they reached ketosis...

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Theosis>ketosis

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
Golgotha said:
I wonder if there was ever an ascetic that fasted so much they reached ketosis...
Aren't they prohibited from fasting sometimes?

Hey what about that guy from Dostroyevsky?

Brilko

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
?
I’ve done well with keto and intermittent fasting. Lost weight and kept it off. Removed my diabetic medications. I wish I could do longer term fasting but my blood glucose drops too low.

The simple key to ketosis is to consume a very low amount of carbs. I do that by eating foods that are low in carbs and avoiding high carb foods. If you eat any higher carb foods, you have to weigh the food and count the carbs in order to stay under your goal. I don’t pay any attention to macros, so I’m very strict on what I eat.

Eating less than 20 grams of carbs per day should guarantee that you are going to achieve ketosis. Some people can get away with eating a bit more carbs than that.

The intermittent fasting that I do is two meals per day in a four-hour window. No snacks between meals. 20 hours of fasting each day.

I never cheat, never have cravings, and I’m never hungry. I find it so easy to do. It’s not that easy for everybody. It may not be for everybody. The keto subreddit has some good information. Some bad information when it comes to type 2 diabetics and ketoacidosis.

Diabetics who are on SGLT2 inhibitors should probably stop taking them before going low carb by fasting or the keto diet.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
mcarmichael said:
I was thinking of trying a keto diet, suddenly I like diets.

I want to burn some fat for whatever reason. I'm sure there are other threads about intermittent fasting, etc., does anyone have a list?

Thanks.
Find the shop that sells books by Thomas Nelson Publishers™ in your local area?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Intermittent fasting is called "being Orthodox."

We fast every Wednesday and Friday, and a bunch of other times throughout the year.

:)

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
biro said:
Intermittent fasting is called "being Orthodox."

We fast every Wednesday and Friday, and a bunch of other times throughout the year.

:)
Never heard of it, I'll have to Google it. 🙂