• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

I do/don't post in "Politics" because...

Why do you or don't you post in "Politics"?

• I love politics

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I hate politics

• I love to argue

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I hate to argue

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I love being right

• I love being left

• I'm an idiot

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I'm a genius

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I don't know anything about politics

• I know more about politics than anyone else

• I don't know anything about anything

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don't know

• Who gives a rat's behind?

• Other-please specify

• Other-without specification

• I'm bored to death

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Politics is just fantasmagoric!

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Huh?

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • All the above

• None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel better than all those miserable souls who can't resist the temptation to post in Politics

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
This is just for fun and information.  Let's try to keep from getting it bumped into "Politics"  ;D  Vote up to 100 times (just like in some infamous American cities ;D), change your vote if you want.  Remember, the NSA is watching  :eek: :eek:.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
This poll lacks an option "I feel better than all those miserable souls who can't resist the temptation to post in Politics".

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
A year or more ago I requested no longer having access to that part of the forum. I just didn't really get anything out of it. While political discussion doesn't bore me, I have no interest in spending hours reading, researching and writing posts on those topics... like I do on the main part of the forum  :police:  ;D

I voted for...
I hate to argue
I love being left
I don't know

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
This poll lacks an option "I feel better than all those miserable souls who can't resist the temptation to post in Politics".
You're right!  Great suggestion!  Can it get added to the options?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the record, I'm part of the Rodent's Rear brigade, and honorary president of the Unspecified Other League. ;D

I never felt like venturing into the politics section. Life's too short to squander reminding (nearly) everyone that the American perspective on things is not, in fact, the Alpha and Omega.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
I turned 18 right before the last presidential elections here in a America, and I had thought that it would be wonderful to register and perhaps through my vote affect the future of this nation. But then I realized that my opinions on such things as abortion and same-sex marriage just wasn't enough to justify voting for one candidate or another. I didn't understand economics and what have you. Surely, there was more to politics than the simple beliefs I held.

That's when I decided that I am much too stupid for politics, at least for the time being. I suspect I am more likely to do harm than good. Best to stay away from matters I know little about.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
For the record, I'm part of the Rodent's Rear brigade, and honorary president of the Unspecified Other League. ;D

I never felt like venturing into the politics section. Life's too short to squander reminding (nearly) everyone that the American perspective on things is not, in fact, the Alpha and Omega.
You lie.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Arachne said:

You lie.
I stand, too. :p

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
We have a truism round these parts: "United America stands, divided Europe falls"  :angel:

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
I turned 18 right before the last presidential elections here in a America, and I had thought that it would be wonderful to register and perhaps through my vote affect the future of this nation. But then I realized that my opinions on such things as abortion and same-sex marriage just wasn't enough to justify voting for one candidate or another. I didn't understand economics and what have you. Surely, there was more to politics than the simple beliefs I held.

That's when I decided that I am much too stupid for politics, at least for the time being. I suspect I am more likely to do harm than good. Best to stay away from matters I know little about.
Knowing you are too stupid for politics makes you head and shoulders above those who don't.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I'm making an ethnographic survey on Americans.  :angel:

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Arachne said:

You lie.
Actually, one could say that American politics and the "Politics" forum have a scent of Omega-3 ;D ;D.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Hawkeye said:

Knowing you are too stupid for politics makes you head and shoulders above those who don't.
You mean the vast majority of politicians, right?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
I don't post there too often. Mainly because I'm not that interested in American politics. The posts that I do make there are rarely serious.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
vamrat said:
Arachne said:

You lie.
Actually, one could say that American politics and the "Politics" forum have a scent of Omega-3 ;D ;D.
Give it a few decades and it will have a scent of Omega Man.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I have not signed up for politics, but recently I made a comment in a thread which was then moved to politics. ;)

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
I have felt tempted to register, but then I remind myself that I barely know what my political opinions are, so what good would that make?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
I have felt tempted to register, but then I remind myself that I barely know what my political opinions are, so what good would that make?
Considering how leftist our countries are it is quite refreshing to hear American perspectives on various issues. The US is a sort of antithesis of Scandinavia.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Michał Kalina said:
Done. I had to edit out a naughty word as well  :police:

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Considering how leftist our countries are it is quite refreshing terryfying to hear American perspectives on various issues. The US is a sort of antithesis of Scandinavia.
Fixed that for you.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Alpo said:
Considering how leftist our countries are it is quite refreshing terryfying to hear American perspectives on various issues. The US is a sort of antithesis of Scandinavia.
Fixed that for you.
I assure you, the feeling is mutual.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Ansgar said:
Considering how leftist our countries are it is quite refreshing to hear American perspectives on various issues. The US is a sort of antithesis of Scandinavia.
I assure you, those of us of the Swedish Diaspora Inside Minnesota have not fallen prey to modern innovations, but have kept the conservative and stoic traditions of the true, authentic Scandinavians.  (or something like that)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I post in Politics because I hate to argue and I love to argue.

Sigh.  :p

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
J Michael said:
Michał Kalina said:
Done. I had to edit out a naughty word as well  :police:
I don't see the option added.  Am I blind as well as an idiot? ;D  Somehow, the term "rat's behind" just doesn't have the same impact as "rat's *bleep*".  Is it really *that* bad that you had to change it? ;D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
I don't see the option added.  Am I blind as well as an idiot? ;D
I guess I forgot to click 'save'  :)

Now I've added it, though.

J Michael said:
Somehow, the term "rat's behind" just doesn't have the same impact as "rat's _ss".  Is it really *that* bad that you had to change it? ;D
People were getting heart attacks when they saw that word. I've heard of one who even threw his computer out of the window.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
J Michael said:

J Michael said:
Somehow, the term "rat's behind" just doesn't have the same impact as "rat's _ss".  Is it really *that* bad that you had to change it? ;D
People were getting heart attacks when they saw that word. I've heard of one who even threw his computer out of the window.
You're simply the best!!!  You've been unanimously selected as my new hero again! ;D ;D

That person who threw his computer out the window?  That was probably the smartest move they've ever made.  A veritable genius! 8)

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Combination of "I don't know anything about politics" and "I don't know" why I am not posting (so far). Anyway, isn't politics the device that makes or breaks humanity?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Cyrillic said:
J Michael said:

J Michael said:
You're simply the best!!!  You've been unanimously selected as my new hero again! ;D ;D

That person who threw his computer out the window?  That was probably the smartest move they've ever made.  A veritable genius! 8)
Not really.  I had to go and buy a whole new one.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
vamrat said:
J Michael said:
Cyrillic said:
J Michael said:
I don't see the option added.  Am I blind as well as an idiot? ;D
I guess I forgot to click 'save'  :)

J Michael said:
Somehow, the term "rat's behind" just doesn't have the same impact as "rat's _ss".  Is it really *that* bad that you had to change it? ;D
You're simply the best!!!  You've been unanimously selected as my new hero again! ;D ;D

That person who threw his computer out the window?  That was probably the smartest move they've ever made.  A veritable genius! 8)
Not really.  I had to go and buy a whole new one.
And prove me wrong in my assnaughtywordessment that you're a genius.  Gee, thanks, buddy ::) ::) ::).

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Alpo said:
Fixed that for you.
No, not really. Americans are cute. :-*

tuesdayschild

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Politics come from the Greek word polis, which is mean city. There you go.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
And those who weren't involved in politics were called idiots because they kept to themselves.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ilyazhito said:
And those who weren't involved in politics were called idiots because they kept to themselves.
Of course, they would have no foreigner butting their nose into their city's affairs.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
J Michael said:
This is just for fun and information.  Let's try to keep from getting it bumped into "Politics"  ;D  Vote up to 100 times (just like in some infamous American cities ;D), change your vote if you want.  Remember, the NSA is watching  :eek: :eek:.
I voted for other-please specify.
I disliked this thread. I do not find it fun.
I dislike the use of the terms love, hate, argue, left, right in the poll.

I think the discussion of politics is important and worthwhile.
I think doing so in private is a waste of time and possibly narcissistic (since I haven't wasted my time, I have no idea about the latter).

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
J Michael said:

I think doing so in private is a waste of time and possibly narcissistic (since I haven't wasted my time, I have no idea about the latter).
I agree, let's move Politics sub forum in the public sphere

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Opus118 said:
J Michael said:

Not in your life, buddy! :police:

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Because I don't care anymore.  I once cared a great deal but then I realized its easy to breed ignorant leeches.  What's hard is breeding thinkers and doers.  My country is in a downward spiral of which there is little to no hope of recovery.  Stupidity is in abundance and there is nothing else for people who actually care about the country to do except get some popcorn, 3D glasses and wait for it to implode.  

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Achronos said:
Opus118 said:
J Michael said:

Not in your life, buddy! :police:
Check your PM.

If I need to smooth out the post, let me know and send me the original post. Not sure why it didn't get posted.