• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

I feel bad that the Protestants don't have the Theotokos.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I've always deeply admired the devotion that Roman Catholics have for Mary, even if they have way over dogmatized it (which is one of the reasons why I'm Orthodox hehe). I feel so bad for the Protestants though, the Theotokos, the very woman who bore God from her womb, is not apart of your spirituality? Huh? I could not imagine even having a spirituality without the inclusion of the holy and perpetual virgin within it. How could Protestants say the Bible does not include Marian devotions? They claim to believe in sola scriptura, but it looks like they haven't even read the first chapter of Luke...

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Well Anglicans do. In our evening prayers we include the Magnificant and we refer to her as the Theotokos or the nearest English Rendition of it. She is the Blessed Virgin.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
I think Lutherans might also have some devotions to Mary

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
The English for Theotokos is “God-bearer.”

sestir

bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Maybe they kept reading, found Luke 8:20-21, and remembered it until they got to Luke 11:27-28?

``And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee. And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.'' 8:20-21 (KJV)

``And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.'' 11:27-28 (KJV)

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
One of the best ways to begin with understanding Luther's view of Mary is Luther’s Marian hymn, completed A.D. 1545, one year before his death.

Luther scholars frequently--generally correctly--differentiate between "young, Catholic Luther" and "old, Protestant Luther". Well, here is "old Protestant Luther, some 28 years after posting the 95 Theses sounding very Catholic/Orthodox indeed:

To me she's dear, the worthy maid,
And I cannot forget her;
Praise, honor, virtue her are said,
Then all will love her better.
I seek her good,
And if I should
Right evil fare,
I do not care,
She'll make up for it to me
With love and truth that will not tire,
Which she will ever show me,
And do all my desire.

She wears of purest gold a crown
Twelve stars their rays are twining,
Her rainment, glorious as the sun,
And bright from far is shining.
Her feet the moon
Are set upon
She is the bride
With the Lord to hide.
Sore travail is upon her;
She bringest forth a noble Son
Whom all the world must honor,
Their king, the only one.

That makes the dragon rage and roar,
He will the child upswallow;
His raging comes to nothing more;
No jot of gain will follow.
The infant high
Up to the sky
Away is heft
And he is left
On earth,all mad with murder.
The mother now alone is she,
But God will watchful guard her.
And the right Father he.

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
I think it's interesting that none of the New Testament epistle writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit to mention her if she is intended to be such a vital part of the Roman/Latin Rite Catholic/Orthodox religion. And even John's gospel never mentions her when it mentions Mary of Bethany 9 times and Mary Magdalene 5 times.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
I love all of the names of Our Blessed Mother! Mother of us all.... Holy Theotokos! Pray for us!

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I think it's interesting that none of the New Testament epistle writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit to mention her if she is intended to be such a vital part of the Roman/Latin Rite Catholic/Orthodox religion. And even John's gospel never mentions her when it mentions Mary of Bethany 9 times and Mary Magdalene 5 times.
Never is inaccurate. The wedding at Cana and the Crucifixion both mention her. The amount of mentions doesn't make either of the other women the mother of Christ.

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
Never is inaccurate. The wedding at Cana and the Crucifixion both mention her. The amount of mentions doesn't make either of the other women the mother of Christ.
re: "Never is inaccurate."

Please point out where John's gospel mentions Mary.

re: "The wedding at Cana and the Crucifixion both mention her."

Where did I say that they didn't?

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
re: "Never is inaccurate."

Please point out where John's gospel mentions Mary.

re: "The wedding at Cana and the Crucifixion both mention her."

Where did I say that they didn't?
The wedding at Cana and the Crucifixion are both in the Gospel of John.

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
The wedding at Cana and the Crucifixion are both in the Gospel of John.
When I wrote my comment I was thinking of the fact that it doesn't mention her by name when It does the other 2 women. But that is too much of a weak technicality and I withdrawal the comment.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
What? There is no argument, it’s totally unambiguous. Are you going to do a Nestorius here?
You comment makes no sense. I literally states I just prefer to use the term Theotokos because I have seen people argue over the best way to translate that and by using the greek term it takes away the translation issue.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
I recently talked with a person , who had become ,Seventh Day Adventist, everything and only what is in the books we have selected to include in the. Bible count,,

Saints, Mother of our Lord, Communion, forgiveness of sin, nothing is holy,
She came from Catholic eventually to seventh day,,,
She likes to pray with me, at me, I like her very much, but it seems she would convert me to biblianity , seems to be preaching when praying out loud,,,

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
A protestant deacon's wife from the Mennonite Church would stop by my porch and drop off beautiful flowers for years and just check in at the porch with this sinner, backslider.
One day I caught her at my porch leaving roses and I came outside while she was walking away and I joyfully exclaimed: Thank you! Please! More flowers! I dedicate them to The Blessed Virgin Mary at my home alter! More! You too can have a part in loving Our Mother!

Never heard from her nor got flowers again.....

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
A protestant deacon's wife from the Mennonite Church would stop by my porch and drop off beautiful flowers for years and just check in at the porch with this sinner, backslider.
One day I caught her at my porch leaving roses and I came outside while she was walking away and I joyfully exclaimed: Thank you! Please! More flowers! I dedicate them to The Blessed Virgin Mary at my home alter! More! You too can have a part in loving Our Mother!

Never heard from her nor got flowers again.....

Altar.

Paranoid speller here. It's not spell check. Its all me.