• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

I just got banned by 1Peter5 and all of my comments there were deleted

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
My reaction:

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
I just wrote a long rant but deleted it.   

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Alpha60 said:
I’ve heard they have a bee up their bonnet about something.
They banned me and another Orthodox guy and deleted his posts as well.

They were writing sarcastic diatribes against Orthodoxy in the comments, so I tried to defend against straw men and called them out for offering no arguments of substance.  To the more respectful posters who asked sincere questions, I gave sincere, detailed answers by which the moderator got very upset.  He demanded I say which Orthodox "sect" I belong to and to stop pretending Orthodoxy is a single entity.  Then he said he'd had enough of me and banned me and deleted all my posts.  They can't handle real debate in their echo chamber I guess.  Going the route of Catholic Answers.

The mod said there will be a zero tolerance policy from now on for those who attack Catholicism with lies.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
Sadly, it's always easier to silence dissenting voices than to engage in factual discussion with them.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
This has happened before with Internet Forums.

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
PorphyriosK said:
Alpha60 said:

They were writing sarcastic diatribes against Orthodoxy in the comments, so I tried to defend against straw men and called them out for offering no arguments of substance.  To the more respectful posters who asked sincere questions, I gave sincere, detailed answers by which the moderator got very upset.  He demanded I say which Orthodox "sect" I belong to and to stop pretending Orthodoxy is a single entity.  Then he said he'd had enough of me and banned me and deleted all my posts.  They can't handle real debate in their echo chamber I guess.  Going the route of Catholic Answers.

The mod said there will be a zero tolerance policy from now on for those who attack Catholicism with lies.
I'm a bit of a drama queen, so I have to ask, which article did this take place?

sestir

Bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Their Comment Policy says a lot. First, they have a list of 9 items that supposedly regulate what may be posted. Then, in the last paragraph, they let us know that the above list is null and void and that they will delete whatever they want to delete.

onepeterfive.com @ 2019-09-29 said:
[...] we will remove any comment that [...] in our judgment detracts from a productive discussion. Exceptions will be made solely at moderator discretion.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Rohzek said:
PorphyriosK said:
Alpha60 said:

I'm a bit of a drama queen, so I have to ask, which article did this take place?
There were two articles I had commented on.  The one from last week specifically about Orthodoxy, and the one yesterday about Cardinal Kasper, where someone again brought up Orthodoxy in the comments.  Interestingly, I think the mods have now gone back and deleted some of their own sarcastic comments from the latest article as well surrounding that whole Orthodoxy conversation.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Sorry everyone, in retrospect it was pretty juvenile of me to even start this thread.  I was just feeling P.O'd last night after it happened, but also embarrassed that I'd wasted so much time even trying to communicate with the people there.  It was strange to find myself trying to defend the Orthodox Faith from hostiles in my former communion.  What was I thinking?  They have zero openness to the truth.  Most Catholics are friendly and not like these people at all. 

They almost remind me of Catholic islamists or jihadis, who's goal is to regain a kingdom of earthly papal power and glory that they feel has been lost, rather than the Kingdom not of this world.  There are actually many Marian apparitions that promise these future times of earthly peace and prosperity for the Catholic Church where she will rule, as well as a powerful Traditionalist pope who will also rule once more, etc.  That seems to be their focus, these future earthly blessings, rather than Christ, repentance, theosis, or Eternal Life.

In any case, they're in need of many prayers.  God forgive me if I in any way pushed them further away from Orthodoxy by my bad example.  Lord have mercy.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
PorphyriosK said:
Sorry everyone, in retrospect it was pretty juvenile of me to even start this thread.  I was just feeling P.O'd last night after it happened, but also embarrassed that I'd wasted so much time even trying to communicate with the people there.  It was strange to find myself trying to defend the Orthodox Faith from hostiles in my former communion.  What was I thinking?  They have zero openness to the truth.  Most Catholics are friendly and not like these people at all. 

They almost remind me of Catholic islamists or jihadis, who's goal is to regain a kingdom of earthly papal power and glory that they feel has been lost, rather than the Kingdom not of this world.  There are actually many Marian apparitions that promise these future times of earthly peace and prosperity for the Catholic Church where she will rule, as well as a powerful Traditionalist pope who will also rule once more, etc.  That seems to be their focus, these future earthly blessings, rather than Christ, repentance, theosis, or Eternal Life.

In any case, they're in need of many prayers.  God forgive me if I in any way pushed them further away from Orthodoxy by my bad example.  Lord have mercy.
Oh come on, as if there are no Orthodox who want Istanbul to become Constantinople again with Hagia Sophia being a Cathedral again, or those who want to re-establish the Russian Empire. There are prophecies throughout Orthodoxy that are of a similar vein to the regaining of political power; the alleged prophecy of Saint Paisios and how Turkey will be destroyed by Russia, or those from Russian elders who repeat the latter.

The truth of the matter is, that in all religions in which there has been an abuse of power by clerical authorities, those religions in turn become refuges for broken people who want to ignore their own personal problems and give the outward appearance of looking like everything is perfect in their lives, and that they are Saintly; and with this comes extraordinary Phariseeism and moral elitism, knowing they can be like those who have abused their power. They are white-washed tombs with corpses on the inside.

I know this because I was, and in many ways still am, one of these people.

You did hit the nail on the head; all those young Muslims who join ISIS to establish a Muslim Caliphate are not too different from many Hardcore Trad Catholics who want to re-establish another Holy Roman Empire or French Monarchy, with a more powerful Papal State.

However, we can't all judge every Catholic or every Orthodox on the basis of this, even those who believe that there's benefit in strictness, prefer a more intellectual theology, and prefer a more ornate and profound liturgical experience.

Just look at many of the Pre-Vatican II Saints. I personally think people like Padre Pio, Maximilian Colbe, John Bosco, and Alphonsus Liguori are Saints in Heaven, despite the fact that they were strict, traditionalist, and didn't prefer a lackluster liturgical experience. Padre Pio would refuse Confession to women who wore their skirts too short, and Padre Pio never left the 1962 Mass even after the changes - but despite this, he was a very loving and humble person. When Marcel Lefebvre asked a blessing from him before Vatican II, he told him "You are the Archbishop - you should be blessing me!"

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Eamonomae said:
PorphyriosK said:

Oh come on, as if there are no Orthodox who want Istanbul to become Constantinople again with Hagia Sophia being a Cathedral again, or those who want to re-establish the Russian Empire. There are prophecies throughout Orthodoxy that are of a similar vein to the regaining of political power; the alleged prophecy of Saint Paisios and how Turkey will be destroyed by Russia, or those from Russian elders who repeat the latter.

The truth of the matter is, that in all religions in which there has been an abuse of power by clerical authorities, those religions in turn become refuges for broken people who want to ignore their own personal problems and give the outward appearance of looking like everything is perfect in their lives, and that they are Saintly; and with this comes extraordinary Phariseeism and moral elitism, knowing they can be like those who have abused their power. They are white-washed tombs with corpses on the inside.

I know this because I was, and in many ways still am, one of these people.

You did hit the nail on the head; all those young Muslims who join ISIS to establish a Muslim Caliphate are not too different from many Hardcore Trad Catholics who want to re-establish another Holy Roman Empire or French Monarchy, with a more powerful Papal State.

However, we can't all judge every Catholic or every Orthodox on the basis of this, even those who believe that there's benefit in strictness, prefer a more intellectual theology, and prefer a more ornate and profound liturgical experience.

Just look at many of the Pre-Vatican II Saints. I personally think people like Padre Pio, Maximilian Colbe, John Bosco, and Alphonsus Liguori are Saints in Heaven, despite the fact that they were strict, traditionalist, and didn't prefer a lackluster liturgical experience. Padre Pio would refuse Confession to women who wore their skirts too short, and Padre Pio never left the 1962 Mass even after the changes - but despite this, he was a very loving and humble person. When Marcel Lefebvre asked a blessing from him before Vatican II, he told him "You are the Archbishop - you should be blessing me!"
Thanks brother, for reminding of what a hypocrite I am.  :)  I sincerely mean that.  I'm judging them harshly when I do the exact same things and have even argued that Russia will be the one to convert the world back to Christ, etc.  I do the very things I am condemning them for.  I'm a proud of being a Russian Orthodox Christian, just in the same way they are proud of being a Roman Catholic.  I guess we all can just get carried away in our zeal and enthusiasm sometimes.  Lord, please have mercy on my pride and judgement of others.  The most blinding of all sins.

This whole thing was probably just meant by God to humble me and knock me off my soapbox.

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
An interesting text about disputes with Catholics. It is long, and I'm too lazy to translate, so I will give only a piece for the seed.

The Papist is not interested in the truth of the word "at all."
He's interested in winning an argument.
And the victory that he sees it, is to flood the opponent's flow of lies - in which he would have drowned in trying these lies to convict.
The" victory " of the Papist is to give ten other lies to one disassembled and denounced.
And this strategy seems to him beautiful, because the man who stands in the truth puts his words in the truth, which requires effort and time, and the Papist does not care that one, two, ten or even a hundred of his false words are exposed - he will spew them a thousand, and it requires only a mouth without storage and a tongue without bones.

See anything familiar? ))

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
Well, I know from experience that God can work like that.

And I know for a fact that I struggle with pride.

So I'll pray for you, but prayers for me.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Eamonomae said:
Well, I know from experience that God can work like that.

And I know for a fact that I struggle with pride.

So I'll pray for you, but prayers for me.
Thank you brother.  Yes, let's pray for each other to overcome this vice.