• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

I think Patriarch Bartholomew just Repudiated Apostolic Canon 34

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
So in a very long and wide-ranging interview almost a month ago in a Serbian magazine, he said:

Of course, we also take into account Canon 34 of the Holy Apostles, but this canon refers to the bishops of each nation, who should recognize their protos as head and not do anything without his opinion and, correspondingly, the first of each nation should not do anything without the opinion of his bishops.

This canon seeks to ensure unity and concord within the local Church. It is not a canon that concerns the relations between the local Churches, but rather the internal governance of a local Church. Therefore, it does not refer to the Ecumenical Patriarchate’s relationship with the other Churches.
Source, with links to Greek and Serbian versions: https://orthodoxsynaxis.org/2019/03/16/has-patriarch-bartholomew-repudiated-apostolic-canon-34/

This is quite serious.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Faith
Convertodox
Jurisdiction
Netodoxy
Mor Ephrem said:
Turning the “universal Church” into a corporate structure rather than being content with it being the communion of all the Churches throughout the world was a big mistake.
Hasn't the Church since it's inception been, in the most literal sense of the word "corporate", a corporate structure? The problem is the feet and hands keep wanting to be the Head.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
FormerReformer said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Turning the “universal Church” into a corporate structure rather than being content with it being the communion of all the Churches throughout the world was a big mistake.
Hasn't the Church since it's inception been, in the most literal sense of the word "corporate", a corporate structure? The problem is the feet and hands keep wanting to be the Head.
What I meant was the idea of a “universal Church” having a structure like diocesan (bishop and priests/deacons) and regional (metropolitan/bishops) Church structures.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Faith
Convertodox
Jurisdiction
Netodoxy
Mor Ephrem said:
FormerReformer said:
Mor Ephrem said:
What I meant was the idea of a “universal Church” having a structure like diocesan (bishop and priests/deacons) and regional (metropolitan/bishops) Church structures.
I know. I just love the opportunity to delve into etymological wordplay.

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Samn! said:
So in a very long and wide-ranging interview almost a month ago in a Serbian magazine, he said:

Of course, we also take into account Canon 34 of the Holy Apostles, but this canon refers to the bishops of each nation, who should recognize their protos as head and not do anything without his opinion and, correspondingly, the first of each nation should not do anything without the opinion of his bishops.

This canon seeks to ensure unity and concord within the local Church. It is not a canon that concerns the relations between the local Churches, but rather the internal governance of a local Church. Therefore, it does not refer to the Ecumenical Patriarchate’s relationship with the other Churches.
Source, with links to Greek and Serbian versions: https://orthodoxsynaxis.org/2019/03/16/has-patriarch-bartholomew-repudiated-apostolic-canon-34/

This is quite serious.
It is indeed curious to say the least. Furthermore, it seems Patriarch Bartholomew believes that a fourth-century forgery - however venerable its principles may be - was written within an international context, while it more probably was written in the context of the Roman Empire. I guess it could be the former, but the burden of proof is on him.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
It is indeed curious to say the least. Furthermore, it seems Patriarch Bartholomew believes that a fourth-century forgery - however venerable its principles may be - was written within an international context, while it more probably was written in the context of the Roman Empire. I guess it could be the former, but the burden of proof is on him.
Which forgery?

FULK NERA

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
GOARCH certainly functions this way. The style of their communication is straight up capitalist boardroom. A lot of compliance work and covering of arses, very little in the way of evangelism and sincere introspection. I’d say it’s terminal at this point. People can feel the vacuum of sincerity there and they stay away in droves. The Phanar is a living fossil in search of contemporary relevance. Like the coffee cups story I already related.

FULK NERA

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
You mean Moscow and Antioch should just sit down and shut up because they aren’t all that? There is a difference between worldly ways and Church ways. Whenever Church apes the world, it loses.