• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

"I Waited Until My Wedding Night to Lose My Virginity, and I Wish I Hadn’t"

BrethrenBoy

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
24
This article popes up I my Facebook feed recently. I  insure of how to respond to it.
http://www.styleite.com/first-person/i-waited-until-my-wedding-night-to-lose-my-virginity-and-i-wish-i-hadnt/
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,563
Reaction score
316
Points
83
An unfortunate experience, I'm sorry that she got conditioned in such a horrible way (and still seems to be so?) I was similarly a virgin on my wedding night, and I also think it was unnecessary, though for seemingly different reasons than her.
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,796
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Location
Chicago
"When I have sex with my husband, I make sure it’s because I have a sexual need and not because I feel I’m required to fulfill his desires."
So, he's just a tool to fulfill her sexual needs, and that is progress.  OK.

"Your sexuality is nobody’s business but yours." Only if your masturbating, and some would dispute even then.  You don't have to listen to them though.
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
25
Location
The Underground
ialmisry said:
"When I have sex with my husband, I make sure it’s because I have a sexual need and not because I feel I’m required to fulfill his desires."
So, he's just a tool to fulfill her sexual needs, and that is progress.  OK.

"Your sexuality is nobody’s business but yours." Only if your masturbating, and some would dispute even then.  You don't have to listen to them though.
I love you
 

Gorazd

Archon
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
2,571
Reaction score
0
Points
0
It seems to me like she first of all has an issue with her faith.
 

littlepilgrim64

High Elder
Joined
Jun 8, 2014
Messages
956
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon line
It is very concerning that she states that after she was married she felt that sex was "dirty and wrong and sinful".  Also, that she felt that after she was married those around her viewed her as being "soiled and tarnished".  She must have been in some ultra-fundamentalist Baptist church and/or her parents views of sex were unhealthy.  Very sad.

I was raised Roman Catholic and I remember my mom explaining to me that I was to remain a virgin until I was married because God designed sex to be a holy and beautiful connection between a husband and wife.  It was all positive and holding on to that is what helped me remain a virgin until marriage (though really, really, really difficult). 
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
5
Points
0
littlepilgrim64 said:
She must have been in some ultra-fundamentalist Baptist church...
I was raised amongst ultra-fundamentalist Baptists, and we were told by numerous people that sex was off limits until marriage not because it is dirty but because it is awesome and thus must not be experienced.

It was kind of a weird message, actually.

 

Aquensis

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Points
0
From the article: "It was entirely possible that my future husband wouldn’t remain pure for me, because he didn’t have that same responsibility, according to the Bible."

Why is it these people ALWAYS say this? Everyone is always telling me Christianity teaches women have to remain virgin until marriage, and men do not. I don't even believe these people came from families identifying as Christian when they are so clueless. Just more liars that probably never entered a church in their life.
 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
12,135
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Eugene, OR
Aquensis said:
From the article: "It was entirely possible that my future husband wouldn’t remain pure for me, because he didn’t have that same responsibility, according to the Bible."

Why is it these people ALWAYS say this? Everyone is always telling me Christianity teaches women have to remain virgin until marriage, and men do not. I don't even believe these people came from families identifying as Christian when they are so clueless. Just more liars that probably never entered a church in their life.
You're simply unaware of many people's experience. I understand your exasperation -- but aim it at the hucksters who pose as spiritual teachers in this country, don't "shoot the messenger."
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Whenever any group, be it a church  or anyone else, only demonizes sex then this kind of reaction as portrayed in the article is, to me, understandable. 
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,839
Reaction score
22
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Agabus said:
littlepilgrim64 said:
She must have been in some ultra-fundamentalist Baptist church...
I was raised amongst ultra-fundamentalist Baptists, and we were told by numerous people that sex was off limits until marriage not because it is dirty but because it is awesome and thus must not be experienced.

It was kind of a weird message, actually.
This is pretty much what I was taught with the exception for a warning that if you did partake of the awesomeness of sex before you were married, then no one would ever want to marry you except for some godless devil worshipper or their equivalent, the liberal mainline denominationalists.
 

Punch

Taxiarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
5,799
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
59
Location
Omaha, Nebraska
TheTrisagion said:
Agabus said:
littlepilgrim64 said:
She must have been in some ultra-fundamentalist Baptist church...
I was raised amongst ultra-fundamentalist Baptists, and we were told by numerous people that sex was off limits until marriage not because it is dirty but because it is awesome and thus must not be experienced.

It was kind of a weird message, actually.
This is pretty much what I was taught with the exception for a warning that if you did partake of the awesomeness of sex before you were married, then no one would ever want to marry you except for some godless devil worshipper or their equivalent, the liberal mainline denominationalists.

I was taught something similar.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,363
Reaction score
191
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
I find purity pledges creepy as all get out. Especially when they involve prepubescent kids, who may have no clue what they're getting themselves into, but who will most definitely be held to that pledge with all the force guilt-tripping can muster.
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,839
Reaction score
22
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Personal experience leads me to the belief that purity pledges only work when the child involved does not have the means to act contrary to the pledge.  It is easy to pledge purity when the girls run in fear from your pimple ridden face.  :p
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
I'm sorry for her. It seems that the problem wasn't the prohibition of pre-marital sex itself but all the other stuff his former church add to that. Christians can be be morons too.
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,416
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Missouri, USA
To offer a balanced perspective, I have a friend who saved himself for marriage. He's still glad he waited, but it has definitely caused problems with his sex life afterward. You just can't have guilty sex feelings for your whole life and then expect to suddenly have it all be OK.

I personally think that Christianity is intrinsically sexually ackward. There's just no getting around it.

Also, in Orthodoxy virginity is the ultimate. Christ and his Mother were both virgins, and those who assert that there is something wrong, undeveloped, or half-human about virgins would do well to remember that!
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Alveus Lacuna said:
To offer a balanced perspective, I have a friend who saved himself for marriage. He's still glad he waited, but it has definitely caused problems with his sex life afterward. You just can't have guilty sex feelings for your whole life and then expect to suddenly have it all be OK.

I personally think that Christianity is intrinsically sexually ackward. There's just no getting around it.

Also, in Orthodoxy virginity is the ultimate. Christ and his Mother were both virgins, and those who assert that there is something wrong, undeveloped, or half-human about virgins would do well to remember that!
Sex is intrinsically awkward. Christianity just turns the intrinsic awkwardness oft into something pathological.
 

Godspell

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Points
0
littlepilgrim64 said:
It is very concerning that she states that after she was married she felt that sex was "dirty and wrong and sinful".  Also, that she felt that after she was married those around her viewed her as being "soiled and tarnished".  She must have been in some ultra-fundamentalist Baptist church and/or her parents views of sex were unhealthy.  Very sad.

I was raised Roman Catholic and I remember my mom explaining to me that I was to remain a virgin until I was married because God designed sex to be a holy and beautiful connection between a husband and wife.  It was all positive and holding on to that is what helped me remain a virgin until marriage (though really, really, really difficult). 
I was actually thinking the same thing. In the Mormon Church, my wife was told that an unchaste girl was like an ice cream Sunday with a cockroach on it. Or like chewing a piece of used gum. All that goes into the idea that sex makes you "dirty". I don't like this idea that we should be ashamed of our body, it's just that our body is a gift to our spouse. So give it to him or her, and not someone who is going to not appreciate it.

Notice, she didn't say she wanted to have sex with other guys other than her husband. She just wished she had sex with him before marriage.

Honestly, though, I think people get a little TOO hyped up about sex on one's wedding night. Don't hype it up, its probably not going to be that great. I'd rather have a great marriage than a great wedding day.

Alveus Lacuna said:
To offer a balanced perspective, I have a friend who saved himself for marriage. He's still glad he waited, but it has definitely caused problems with his sex life afterward. You just can't have guilty sex feelings for your whole life and then expect to suddenly have it all be OK.

I personally think that Christianity is intrinsically sexually ackward. There's just no getting around it.

Also, in Orthodoxy virginity is the ultimate. Christ and his Mother were both virgins, and those who assert that there is something wrong, undeveloped, or half-human about virgins would do well to remember that!
Didn't St. Paul say "Food is for the stomach, and sexual immorality is for the body"? (Just Kidding)  ;D
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
25
Location
The Underground
orthonorm said:
Sex is intrinsically awkward.
Maybe this is off topic, but is it really? Serious question. I mean, I imagine if it weren't for all that Christianity stuff I could probably easily have sex and not feel awkward or affected by it really at all anymore than I am after eating or using the bathroom. I imagine if love is involved, then yeah, it could be awkward. But is say a "casual" encounter really awkward? (assuming such a thing exists). I get the hunch that society just makes sex awkward but what do I know? Hands don't teach you much.
 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
 

Godspell

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Points
0
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,810
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
Trust us when we say, our -secular- friends don't talk about sex and masturbation nearly as much as this forum does over time. A few weeks of being here does not reveal that -fun-....stick around and ye shall see
 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
 

Godspell

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Points
0
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
Maybe everyone here is just really comfortable with their sexuality.

I noticed their was a post to stop posting about homosexuality too.

Maybe they're just confused. Need clarification and such.
 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
Maybe everyone here is just really comfortable with their sexuality.

I noticed their was a post to stop posting about homosexuality too.

Maybe they're just confused. Need clarification and such.
Stick around long enough and you'll see it's basically the same people talking about their masturbatory habits all. the. time.
 

Godspell

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Points
0
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
Maybe everyone here is just really comfortable with their sexuality.

I noticed their was a post to stop posting about homosexuality too.

Maybe they're just confused. Need clarification and such.
Stick around long enough and you'll see it's basically the same people talking about their masturbatory habits all. the. time.
Well, why do you keep asking them about it?  ::)
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,810
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
Maybe everyone here is just really comfortable with their sexuality.

I noticed their was a post to stop posting about homosexuality too.

Maybe they're just confused. Need clarification and such.
Stick around long enough and you'll see it's basically the same people talking about their masturbatory habits all. the. time.
Well, maybe you should stop asking them about it, then.  ::)
again.....you do not know of what you are speaking.


this information is volunteered repeatedly.  NO one is asking...no one cares......
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,796
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Location
Chicago
DeniseDenise said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
Trust us when we say, our -secular- friends don't talk about sex and masturbation nearly as much as this forum does over time.
you new to the internet, besides this forum?
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,810
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
ialmisry said:
DeniseDenise said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
Trust us when we say, our -secular- friends don't talk about sex and masturbation nearly as much as this forum does over time.
you new to the internet, besides this forum?
actually i meant real life people....even the least godly are honestly no where near as topically challenged as here

and no...I am not at al new to the internet.
 

Godspell

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Points
0
DeniseDenise said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
Maybe everyone here is just really comfortable with their sexuality.

I noticed their was a post to stop posting about homosexuality too.

Maybe they're just confused. Need clarification and such.
Stick around long enough and you'll see it's basically the same people talking about their masturbatory habits all. the. time.
Well, maybe you should stop asking them about it, then.  ::)
again.....you do not know of what you are speaking.


this information is volunteered repeatedly.  NO one is asking...no one cares......
LOL, maybe the site should make a board only for masturbation issues, and then all four individuals can discuss it there.
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
25
Location
The Underground
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
Maybe everyone here is just really comfortable with their sexuality.

I noticed their was a post to stop posting about homosexuality too.

Maybe they're just confused. Need clarification and such.
Stick around long enough and you'll see it's basically the same people talking about their masturbatory habits all. the. time.
You had to say "stick"...
 

Godspell

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JamesR said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
LOL, yeah that's totally what I was implying.
Maybe everyone here is just really comfortable with their sexuality.

I noticed their was a post to stop posting about homosexuality too.

Maybe they're just confused. Need clarification and such.
Stick around long enough and you'll see it's basically the same people talking about their masturbatory habits all. the. time.
You had to say "stick"...
James, you have problemz.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Omaha
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
I ain't saying nothing on the former, and truth be told ain't gonna say nothing on the latter.
 

Punch

Taxiarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
5,799
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
59
Location
Omaha, Nebraska
DeniseDenise said:
ialmisry said:
DeniseDenise said:
Godspell said:
kelly said:
Why is this forum so obsessed with sex and masturbation?  ::)
Yeah! In society they really tone down all the sex stuff...  :eek:
Trust us when we say, our -secular- friends don't talk about sex and masturbation nearly as much as this forum does over time.
you new to the internet, besides this forum?
actually i meant real life people....even the least godly are honestly no where near as topically challenged as here

and no...I am not at al new to the internet.
Must not have a lot of male friends that are not closet homosexuals.  I have found that men talk and joke about sex quite frequently, particularly in the blue collar world.  I have also found that the more they talk, the less they are getting.  Women talk not so much.  But then again, that is why women have the upper hand in a lot of things.  For women, sex is nothing other than a way to get what they want.  For men, sex is what they want.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JamesR said:
I get the hunch that society just makes sex awkward but what do I know?
Sex doesn't exist outside society.

 

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 12, 2012
Messages
6,805
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ialmisry said:
"When I have sex with my husband, I make sure it’s because I have a sexual need and not because I feel I’m required to fulfill his desires."
So, he's just a tool to fulfill her sexual needs, and that is progress.  OK.

"Your sexuality is nobody’s business but yours." Only if your masturbating, and some would dispute even then.  You don't have to listen to them though.
Onanism is a sin.........

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/onanism

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=2940

http://www.beginningcatholic.com/catholic-teaching-on-masturbation.html
 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The most insane thing about this article is that she identified her virginity with her identity. She is missing the entire point. All Christians are called to chastity, but that takes different forms given one's state in life. When single it means celibacy, but when married it means sexual fidelity to one's spouse. She got the wrong message. It's not that sex is bad, but abuse of sex is.
 
Top