• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

I want to contact a Priest and just have dialog but It's so awkward for me.

Jude1:3

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
  I seriously don't understand why it's such a challenge for me to just call or send an email. I keep thinking it's going to be weird.

Should I ask to visit with the priest at Starbucks or something ?

I have visited the Church once but I didn't take communion or meet with the priest because he seemed very busy during and after the service. Everyone was very nice though.

I don't even know what to ask.  :eek:     

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Why not try to catch him before or after Evening service on Saturday?

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Bob2 said:
Why not try to catch him before or after Evening service on Saturday?

Good idea.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I can just tell you what I did - I emailed the priest a week before I planned on attending Liturgy (priests are notorious for not checking their emails so I wanted to make sure he had enough time to receive it). I explained my background and that I was RC and interested in exploring Orthodoxy. He wrote back, I went to Liturgy that Sunday, then we talked afterwards about catechumen classes. Just email him, you'll be fine. You certainly won't have been the first person to contact him about this.

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Theophania said:
I can just tell you what I did - I emailed the priest a week before I planned on attending Liturgy (priests are notorious for not checking their emails so I wanted to make sure he had enough time to receive it). I explained my background and that I was RC and interested in exploring Orthodoxy. He wrote back, I went to Liturgy that Sunday, then we talked afterwards about catechumen classes. Just email him, you'll be fine. You certainly won't have been the first person to contact him about this.

Thank you very much for the reply.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I know my priest likes to 'get out' and away, so Starbucks is a great place to meet.
Consider email and see how long it takes for a response; can't hurt.
Sundays are a tough time as it is a very busy day for them.....while your are juggling cats, do you want an interruption?
;)

Oh, and breath deep......it's OK.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
If the church has scheduled confession times, you can show up then. The priest will be in counselling mood. :) Just wait until everyone who has actually come to confess has had their turn.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
I've been to the Sacrament of Confession 4 times and St. Peter's Western Rite Orthodox to the Sunday Service.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
I've also called and phoned in but not sure what this monkey business is about.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Jude1:3 said:
  I seriously don't understand why it's such a challenge for me to just call or send an email. I keep thinking it's going to be weird.

I have visited the Church once but I didn't take communion or meet with the priest because he seemed very busy during and after the service. Everyone was very nice though.

Sounds like you and I have similar issues with anxiety and shyness. Welcome to the club.

JessicaH

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
The first time I met with a Priest I emailed him first and set up a time.  Of course, I had pre-planned everything in my head that I wanted to say but  that didn't happen. It ended up being an extremely awkward experience.  Maybe just don't think too far ahead and keep the discussion simple.  :( Just wait to speak with him after the liturgy I think would be best.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

Most if not all priests would be only too happy to have a sit-down and discuss your questions regarding the faith.  Dont be shy, they have heard it all, I think... 8)
Just be natural and let it happen,  Believe me, it is a lot easier than you think.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Depends on the mood
If you could tell us the area of the country you live in someone here may know a local priest and can put you in touch with them.

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Paisius said:
If you could tell us the area of the country you live in someone here may know a local priest and can put you in touch with them.

Nashville TN.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
http://holytrinitynashville.org/about-us/clergy
http://stjohnnashville.com/about-us/clergy

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Depends on the mood
Paisius said:

Nashville TN.

I might recommend St Ignatius.

http://www.saint-ignatius.org/

I'm not speaking from any direct knowledge of the parishes there but St Ignatius is an Antiochian parish and often times Antiochian parishes are used to dealing with inquirers and converts. I'm looking at their bullentin and their website and there are some clues that they may be a convert heavy parish. That might be a good option for you. I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.

I can definitely understand your nervousness. If it helps I'll be happy to contact one of the parishes for you and find out how they handle inquirers. When I first started my inquiry I was guided by parishioners at a local Antiochian parish to one of the local OCA parishes as it was very convert heavy. At the very least any of the priests in the area should be able to offer you some guidance of that kind. I know it sounds silly but once you get used to speaking with priests you won't feel weird contacting any of them.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Couple hours away In Oak Ridge, St. Anne, is Fr. Stephen Freeman, a good ol' boy from the Carolinas.
He also has podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio. He's made a life study on shame and how it effects us.
I urge you to check him out in any way you can. Listen well and you will change your life.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Paisius said:
I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.
I'm pretty sure Fr. Gregory Hohnholt and Fr. Parthenios Turner will be just fine. 

To the OP, email all the closest parish priests and see the response you get.  You can always inquire about office hours and set up a time for a one-on-one discussion with one of them. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
hecma925 said:
Paisius said:
I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.
I'm pretty sure Fr. Gregory Hohnholt and Fr. Parthenios Turner will be just fine. 
lol

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
  Thanks very much everyone for your responses.  :)

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Paisius said:
Paisius said:

Nashville TN.

I'm not speaking from any direct knowledge of the parishes there but St Ignatius is an Antiochian parish and often times Antiochian parishes are used to dealing with inquirers and converts. I'm looking at their bullentin and their website and there are some clues that they may be a convert heavy parish. That might be a good option for you. I'm sure the Greek parishes will be friendly but the priests may not be used to dealing with inquirers.

I can definitely understand your nervousness. If it helps I'll be happy to contact one of the parishes for you and find out how they handle inquirers. When I first started my inquiry I was guided by parishioners at a local Antiochian parish to one of the local OCA parishes as it was very convert heavy. At the very least any of the priests in the area should be able to offer you some guidance of that kind. I know it sounds silly but once you get used to speaking with priests you won't feel weird contacting any of them.

I actually went to this Church today. I liked it very much. I was able to speak with a few of the people and ask questions.

Surprisingly, the most challenging things I've been grappling with haven't even been theological. I think the hardest things for me to get past are stuff like everyone drinking from the same spoon, kissing relics etc. ( I mean no disrespect by saying this.)

Maybe it's a cultural thing I'm struggling with.

I'm convinced Orthodox Christianity is The Fullness of The Church and it is Amazing. Most of the stuff I'm dealing with in my mind is minor in nature.  Thanks again everyone for your input and responses.

peacenprayer

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Just fire off an e-mail too him asking to meet after church or for coffee. Priests, contrary to popular belief, are people too.
And, yes. It will be awkward. You're meeting someone who has dedicated their life to something you are trying to understand. Once you get to know one another you'll feel more comfortable.
Fun fact: it took me four months to first go to and Orthodox Church and talk to the priest after discovering Orthodoxy. So, yeah. Totally normal.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Depends on the mood
Paisius said:
Paisius said:

Nashville TN.

I actually went to this Church today. I liked it very much. I was able to speak with a few of the people and ask questions.

Surprisingly, the most challenging things I've been grappling with haven't even been theological. I think the hardest things for me to get past are stuff like everyone drinking from the same spoon, kissing relics etc. ( I mean no disrespect by saying this.)

Maybe it's a cultural thing I'm struggling with.

I'm convinced Orthodox Christianity is The Fullness of The Church and it is Amazing. Most of the stuff I'm dealing with in my mind is minor in nature.  Thanks again everyone for your input and responses.

You are not alone in that concern I promise you. But as you become more and more convinced of the truth then that sort of thing will stop bothering you. On the Eucharist it is literally impossible for any harm to come from the Body and Blood of Christ. I would recommend you try not to worry about those things yet and take it a step at a time. Continue attending services and speaking with people. What you will begin to learn is that Orthodoxy is experienced, not learned from a book. Books are very important but living the faith is much more important.