• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

I watched Joel Osteen on TV today

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Home sick from Church. Sore throat..cold.. yuck

So I put on the TV to at least see a sermon and found this fellow Joel Osteen. I have seen him from time to time being interviewed but never his Sunday Sermon.

Packed stadium..Impressive

Ya know.......... It was fine. Personal improvement stuff. Reliance on God. Maintaining your faith.Self help.. Like a cross between Paul Harvey and Zig Zigler and Jimmy Swagert.

Encouraging, well delivered, not too gaudy.

This sort of message should be given tangential to going to Church, not as a substitute.  This guy should spend his Sunday Worshiping God in Church and then write his encouragements and speeches. IMHO

If I ever met him, I would say, You should start going to Church on Sunday......Duh

I miss Paul Harvey.... My son and I would yell out our guess about who he was telling a story about. It was always something really hokie.

"Mark Twain !" ..

"Abe Lincoln!"...

"Young Abe Lincoln!".....

I got it I got it....

"Florence Nightingale !!! "

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
You made me curious. I went to youtube to see if he was any good. He wasn't. His speeches are terrible and far from eloquent, even if it is ex tempore.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
You made me curious. I went to youtube to see if he was any good. He wasn't. His speeches are terrible and far from eloquent, even if it is ex tempore.
Well, he's very charming.. ( no homo).

His "Hang in there" theme is encouraging but no substitute for the actual Church.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
Cyrillic said:
Well, he's very charming.. ( no homo).

His "Hang in there" theme is encouraging but no substitute for the actual Church.
I agree with you, he is very charming.  His message, while certainly not Christian per se, is very encouraging.  This is also the dangerous part: people want to feel good and his message delivers, but it makes people think that this is Christian.  There are a few Protestant speakers who refer to him as a Counterfeit Christian.  And while that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black, as it were, it's certainly true.

Reaction score
I know little of Osteen & he soundsl like a decent person but suffocatingly bland. He seems to express further languishing of  a mindset that became spiritually dulled long ago in "mainline American Protestantism" as noted by an observation of Dietrich Bonhoeffer at Union Theological Seminary in NYC in 1930.............“The theological atmosphere of the Union Theological Seminary is accelerating the process of the secularization of Christianity in America. Its criticism is directed essentially against the fundamentalists and to a certain extent also against the radical humanists in Chicago; it is healthy and necessary. But there is no sound basis on which one can rebuild after demolition. It is carried away with the general collapse. A seminary in which it can come about that a large number of students laugh out loud in a public lecture at the quoting of a passage from Luther’s De servo arbitrio on sin and forgiveness because it seems to them to be comic has evidently completely forgotten what Christian theology by its very nature stands for.”

“Things [outside the seminary] are not much different in the church. The sermon has been reduced to parenthetical church remarks about newspaper events. As long as I’ve been here, I have heard only one sermon in which you could hear something like a genuine proclamation, and that was delivered by a negro. . . One big question continually attracting my attention in view of these facts is whether one here really can still speak about Christianity. . . There’s no sense to expect the fruits where the Word really is no longer being preached. But then what becomes of Christianity per se?”

http://churchacronym.blogspot.com/2012/04/bonhoeffer-at-union-seminary-80-years.html

Reaction score
I have watched him and can understand both sides , he can be good but he is also self serving .

Sermons by most priests are made with good intentions, but most of them are trying hard to be popular just as Osteen.

Jesus never hesitated to tell us what we should do for salvation, and never held back when speaking about those who were rich, or held higher office or could do him harm.

Today we see those like Osteen who gain fame and fortune by staying within the rules of politically correct society.

And it is happening in the Orthodox Church as well. My Parish has a priest who has been here for a long time because he does not make enemies of the parishioners by telling them what he should . Previous priests in the 70s and 80s we had never lasted more than a few years because they refused to go along with those in power about their politics . They never lasted because the high and mighty in control always made such furor over them.

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I believe Joel Osteen's brother in law (his wife's sister's husband) converted to Orthodoxy.

Ooops! Nope, I meant Casey Treat. He is a local mega pastor that televises his sermons.

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Many Protestants in the US, at least those I know, would share what most of you are saying . . . that Osteen delivers a positive message but not true worship or what going to church is about.

DennyB

Reaction score
What see today that passes for a sermon or lecture in most Protestant churches basically presents God as a benefactor, and we are the beneficiaries, and that we are entitled to these benefits as well. The Grace of God is nothing more than a commodity,that is given apart from who He is.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Health Wealth a Happiness cults have been around for a long time and appear in many different religions.. It's really a form of Folk Religion.

Daedelus1138

High Elder
Reaction score
  Osteen is really not all that revolutionary, 300 years ago he would fit in squarely with the Moralist tradition in the Church of England- "go to church and believe in God because it is good for you/good for the nation" sort of logic.  Not entirely un-Christian but also very bland.  That sort of thing was widespread and one thing that evangelicals like Wesley reacted against.  Moralism was not as bad as Puritanism, which nearly destroyed the Church of England in its identity.

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
+1

Kra-nion

Reaction score
#...Is.5;9......2cor.11;4.....2cor.11;15......gal.1;8.....this will help.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Kra-nion said:
#...Is.5;9......2cor.11;4.....2cor.11;15......gal.1;8.....this will help.
I like to think this is sorta how twitter would've looked if we had never quite perfected the teletype.

Fantastic.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I see him as just another motivational speaker with a great marketing team.

arnI

Reaction score
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6358
Is Joel Osteen a Word-of-Faith pastor?

Older thread.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Daedelus1138 said:
  Osteen is really not all that revolutionary, 300 years ago he would fit in squarely with the Moralist tradition in the Church of England- "go to church and believe in God because it is good for you/good for the nation" sort of logic.  Not entirely un-Christian but also very bland.  That sort of thing was widespread and one thing that evangelicals like Wesley reacted against.  Moralism was not as bad as Puritanism, which nearly destroyed the Church of England in its identity.
I think you mean the famous Protestant preacher John Wesley not me because my name is Wesley.