• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

I will be playing Alladin in the new Disney movie!!!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

https://egyptianstreets.com/2017/07/16/egyptian-canadian-mena-massoud-cast-as-aladdin/

Finally, the whole world will now know M(i or e)na is a man's name  ;) 8)

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
But you will be singing/chanting in the closing credits ;)

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Dominika, I can show you the world! Shining, shimmering, splendid!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
In Western Baghdad born and raised, gone to the soccer fields where I spent most of my days...

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
minasoliman said:
Yay! Egyptian prince on white horse camel!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Dominika said:
minasoliman said:
Yay! Egyptian prince on white horse camel a magic carpet ride!
FIFY ;)

PS Over, sideways, and under on it

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I'm sorry to inform you Mina means "cute girl" in São Paulo.
What's the etymology there?

Generally, the feminine nickname Mina is short for Wilhelmina or Willamina. Wouldn't think that would be common in the Portuguese-speaking world.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:

Generally, the feminine nickname Mina is short for Wilhelmina or Willamina. Wouldn't think that would be common in the Portuguese-speaking world.
There's disagreement on whether it comes from menina (girl) or mina itself (mine, as in that cute women would be like goldmines). Either way, it's from Italo-Brazilian argot.

Oh, also, Guilhermina exists as a name here, I know one personally and two famous.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:

There's disagreement on whether it comes from menina (girl) or mina itself (mine, as in that cute women would be like goldmines). Either way, it's from Italo-Brazilian argot.

Oh, also, Guilhermina exists as a name here, I know one personally and two famous.
Brazil has such a rich heritage.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
In Western Baghdad born and raised, gone to the soccer fields where I spent most of my days...
He's just so lame and corny.  His attempts at humor always feel forced and derivative.  His acting skills are abysmal.  For some reason, people think he did a great job in Ali, but his Ali sounded more like a bad Jimmy Cagney impression.  I have no clue how Disney thinks Will Smith is going to fill Robin Williams' shoes as the genie.  Mor would actually be a better choice.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
minasoliman said:
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

https://egyptianstreets.com/2017/07/16/egyptian-canadian-mena-massoud-cast-as-aladdin/

In Sanskrit, mīna is masculine and means fish.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
minasoliman said:
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

Ah, yes, Sanskrit the well-known Semitic language. ::)

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Porter ODoran said:
Jetavan said:
minasoliman said:
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

Sanskrit and Semitic are distant cousins, part of the Nostratic language megafamily. :laugh:

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
Porter ODoran said:
Jetavan said:
minasoliman said:
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

Sanskrit and Semitic are distant cousins, part of the Nostratic language megafamily. :laugh:
New Age linguistics, huh. Well I'm glad it amuses you.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Jetavan said:
Porter ODoran said:
Jetavan said:
minasoliman said:
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

New Age linguistics, huh. Well I'm glad it amuses you.
Says the guy who thinks English is a Romance language.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I agree on a distinction between Hamite and Semitic languages (not that I'm any kind of a linguist), but it was pretty common for scholars to treat them together. Maybe that's changed. My point was it's not Indo-European.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Jetavan said:
minasoliman said:
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

Porter was wrong here.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Why would Mina have a Semitic root anyway?  Coptic is not a Semitic language.
You think not?
I know not.  Both Egyptian (of which Coptic is the latest evolution) and the Semitic languages are part of the broader Afroasiatic language family, along with the Cushitic languages, Hausa, etc., but Egyptian is not Semitic any more than German is a Hellenic language simply because it is part of the wider Indo-European language family.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
minasoliman said:
Just kidding,

BUT another M(e)na will:

Hmmmm...something is fishy about that  :angel:

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:
He's just so lame and corny.  His attempts at humor always feel forced and derivative.  His acting skills are abysmal.  For some reason, people think he did a great job in Ali, but his Ali sounded more like a bad Jimmy Cagney impression.  I have no clue how Disney thinks Will Smith is going to fill Robin Williams' shoes as the genie.  Mor would actually be a better choice.
He's also a Scientologist apparently, albeit not as devout or committed as Tom Cruise.

Mor would be a much better choice.

What utterly amazes me however is that they did not wind up casting Benedict Cumberbatch for the role.  Not because he's suited for it (in no respect was he a fit substitute for Ricardo Montalban as Khan; Mor could also have done a better job in that role!), but because he seems to be the default choice for difficult casting decisions, in the same way that Johnny Depp was used as a sort of catch all in the previous decade.

My own personal choice to replace Robbin Williams would be Richard E. Grant.  It would be a delight to see him take on a comedic role once more (if you saw him as the Major in St. Ive's, you would know what I am talking about).  Two other good Genies: James Callis, or Alexander Siddig.  Alternately, either Siddig (who is a descendent of Muhammed Ahmed al-Mahdi, the failed Islamic messiah, interestingly), or Callis, would be brilliant as the the Sultan.

Alas, Miguel Ferrer is deceased; he would have been splendid as the villain; he was the son of the superb Puerto Rican actor Jose Ferrer, the inspiration for "the Most Interesting Man in the World," who played Lt. Greenwald, a Jewish lawyer, in the electrifying Caine mutiny, opposite Humprey Bogart, and the Turkish Bey in Lawrence of Arabia.

Given that Disney has rather morbidly and unsuccessfully digitially reanimated Peter Cushing, I suppose there's nothing stopping them from tastelessly "hiring" any of the above.  I daresay, if they transposed the animated Genie played by Robin Williams onto the new film, in the manner of Mary Poppins, it would still be infinitely better than Will Smith.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:
He's also a Scientologist apparently, albeit not as devout or committed as Tom Cruise.

What utterly amazes me however is that they did not wind up casting Benedict Cumberbatch for the role.  Not because he's suited for it (in no respect was he a fit substitute for Ricardo Montalban as Khan; Mor could also have done a better job in that role!), but because he seems to be the default choice for difficult casting decisions, in the same way that Johnny Depp was used as a sort of catch all in the previous decade.

My own personal choice to replace Robbin Williams would be Richard E. Grant.  It would be a delight to see him take on a comedic role once more (if you saw him as the Major in St. Ive's, you would know what I am talking about).  Two other good Genies: James Callis, or Alexander Siddig.  Alternately, either Siddig (who is a descendent of Muhammed Ahmed al-Mahdi, the failed Islamic messiah, interestingly), or Callis, would be brilliant as the the Sultan.

Alas, Miguel Ferrer is deceased; he would have been splendid as the villain; he was the son of the superb Puerto Rican actor Jose Ferrer, the inspiration for "the Most Interesting Man in the World," who played Lt. Greenwald, a Jewish lawyer, in the electrifying Caine mutiny, opposite Humprey Bogart, and the Turkish Bey in Lawrence of Arabia.

Given that Disney has rather morbidly and unsuccessfully digitially reanimated Peter Cushing, I suppose there's nothing stopping them from tastelessly "hiring" any of the above.  I daresay, if they transposed the animated Genie played by Robin Williams onto the new film, in the manner of Mary Poppins, it would still be infinitely better than Will Smith.
Shaq would even have been a better choice! Plus he has actual experience playing a genie!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh God! Shaq was terrible!  Way worse than his free throw shots!

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:

You know their first choice was Seth Rogen, followed by Luis Guzman.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
They need someone really energetic and slightly insane, and I don't think any of those three fit.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
They need someone really energetic and slightly insane, and I don't think any of those three fit.
What they need and what they want are different things.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Johnny Depp?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
It really just highlights what a bad idea it is to make a "live action remake" of the movie.