• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Ian Paisley dies

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Today the uncomprising Ulster Unionist, Dr Ian Paisley died. A firebrand preacher, opponent of all things Roman, and then pioneer of power sharing with an erstwhile enemy, Martin McGuiness. They became known as the 'the Chuckle Brothers'.

For all his sectarianism he was a very effective MP.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Bernadette Devlin McAlisty is still banned from coming to the United States.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
may God forgive him and repose his soul.
it was a very brave thing he did to work towards peace and harmony in northern ireland, in a time when such acts could easily get your head blown off.
i respect his later political work very much.
it had big impact over in mainland uk where people were really encouraged to resolve their differences through discussion, not fighting

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Martin McGuiness, one time Provisional IRA commander, has said, "I have lost a friend". Others over the years, friends and foes alike have commented on his unfailing courtesy. One thing for sure, Big Ian loved his Northern Ireland. And only a hard line Unionist could bought that constituency to the peace table.

Reaction score
May the Lord grant him eternal rest.

I remember hearing recordings of some of his preaching at different times. 

He was truly a "Big Man."