• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Icon corners

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
icecreamsandwich said:
Just to add to this: is there a "most common" icon of a feast or something like the Annunciation, Transfiguration, etc that one gets, or is it again a case of choose whichever you like, as long as it's a canonical icon? Ignoring the Crucifixion (or alternatively, a wall cross), that is.
Do you mean a "most common" version of a particular type of festal icon, or a "most common" feast to have an icon of? 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I have some questions about hanging lamps in front of icons. Sorry if these are elementary, but I've never had a hanging one. Are any positions preferable or discouraged? Like should you try to make it level with the bottom of the icon? Is having the lamp 3 inches lower than the icon bad form? Are there particular icons it'd be traditional to have them in front of, like your patron or the Theotokos, or is it pretty much fine regardless of which icon is there?

Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
icecreamsandwich said:
Just to add to this: is there a "most common" icon of a feast or something like the Annunciation, Transfiguration, etc that one gets, or is it again a case of choose whichever you like, as long as it's a canonical icon? Ignoring the Crucifixion (or alternatively, a wall cross), that is.
Do you mean a "most common" version of a particular type of festal icon, or a "most common" feast to have an icon of? 
"Most common" feast / event.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
icecreamsandwich said:
Mor Ephrem said:
icecreamsandwich said:
The most important feast is the Resurrection. It is the feast of feasts. Most common? Really can't say.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
icecreamsandwich said:
Mor Ephrem said:
icecreamsandwich said:
I don't know if there is such a thing.  I've seen a lot of converts gravitate to the Resurrection icon, but I think that's a personal preference.  

I have a few festal icons which I put up seasonally: Annunciation, Nativity, Epiphany, Resurrection.  For Lent and the period after 14 September, I put up the Cross, for Pentecost an icon of the Trinity, an icon of the Apostles for June and July, an icon of the Mother of God for August and the first half of September.  And that is just my personal preference.  I'm unaware of any rules.

Reaction score
LBK said:
The most important feast is the Resurrection. It is the feast of feasts. Most common? Really can't say.
Ah okay.

Mor Ephrem said:
I don't know if there is such a thing.  I've seen a lot of converts gravitate to the Resurrection icon, but I think that's a personal preference.  

I have a few festal icons which I put up seasonally: Annunciation, Nativity, Epiphany, Resurrection.  For Lent and the period after 14 September, I put up the Cross, for Pentecost an icon of the Trinity, an icon of the Apostles for June and July, an icon of the Mother of God for August and the first half of September.  And that is just my personal preference.  I'm unaware of any rules.
Haha on rotation. That's great!

Thank you both. So far I have taken a linking to ones of the Resurrection and of the Transfiguration. We'll see what happens...

Reaction score
Just as a small update. I've managed to get my icon corner set up. Now I'm working on getting a Platytera style icon of the Theotokos (I've found one I really like but it's not in stock at the moment) to go above the two icons I have now, as well as an icon of my patron saint, and St. John of Damascus (who I quite like).  Other than that I'm looking for a candle holder.

Wonder why the picture came out so poorly ???.

I edited it, so that folks wouldn't have to scroll to see it.  ;)  -LS

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
I use a small ceramic ramekin to hold a couple of candles.  It's worked well so far.  A small dish would work too.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
I use a small ceramic ramekin to hold a couple of candles.  It's worked well so far.  A small dish would work too.
I use tealights in glass cups. So I don't have to either blow them out or supervise them at all times.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Arachne said:
hecma925 said:
I use tealights in glass cups. So I don't have to either blow them out or supervise them at all times.
That's going to be my next thing once my candles run out...tea lights.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I got this (the icon on the right) in the mail last week. My friend bought it for me at the Holy Virgin Cathedral (ROCOR) in San Francisco.

It was held to three relics of the family.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The mister took this the other night; he said he liked the lighting. I'm inclined to agree.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
My current icon corner:

Well, I mean, there is an icon, and it is in a corner.  8)

Deborah

Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
My current icon corner:

Well, I mean, there is an icon, and it is in a corner.  8)
I love it. Beautiful in its sparseness and simplicity.  The blue candle in glass holder complements and sets off the icon well. :)

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Nephi said:
Nephi said:
I had to expand it thanks to the not-so-small icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov that I received for Christmas. :p

And this is my current one, after having moved:

What my icon corner looked like until today (well, except another Old Testament Trinity icon in the upper-right):

What my icon corner looks like now, in the process of me rearranging everything and trying to make it feel less cluttered (it will no doubt change quite a bit again in the coming weeks):

Any suggestions on how to improve it aesthetically would be much appreciated!

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm going to steal that diorama. Just FYI.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
kelly said:
I'm going to steal that diorama. Just FYI.
You can try, but it would probably be easier and friendlier to just buy one on Ebay.  ;) A couple: here, and here.

Although no matter how much I look I can't find one that corresponds to mine directly. The text at the bottom saying "Thy Kingdom Come" and "100 Days Indulgence" is different on others, as well as the background picture and the various pieces. The others tend to look like the two I linked above, with much smaller variations like colors etc. And in case anyone is interested, these shadowboxes were originally made to honor Pope Piux IX's 50th anniversary in 1877 since his ordination (as a bishop, I believe).

A couple years later and I still can't believe I picked this up at a flea market for less than $20.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
You can start by getting rid of that Oxford NRSV.  Yucky-poo!
I've somehow ended up with two NRSV Bibles, and only one RSV. But since the Oxford is an older edition I'd have to give it away... looks like it'll just stay on my shelf.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Nephi said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
You can start by getting rid of that Oxford NRSV.  Yucky-poo!
I've somehow ended up with two NRSV Bibles, and only one RSV. But since the Oxford is an older edition I'd have to give it away... looks like it'll just stay on my shelf.
If you're not going to follow my advice, don't ask for it!!  :mad: :mad:

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
If you're not going to follow my advice, don't ask for it!!   :mad: :mad:
Well, you could always come here from NY and take it off my hands, then. I know that you're secretly wanting to add it to your collection. :)

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
My first bible was the NSRV that you have, Nephi.

However, this just showed up in the mail today.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Nephi said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
Well, you could always come here from NY and take it off my hands, then. I know that you're secretly wanting to add it to your collection. :)
If I showed up at your place, I would bring you a proper Bible in exchange for that NRSV.  Then I would knock you unconscious with the NRSV, steal the diorama for Kelly, and drive away. 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
If I showed up at your place, I would bring you a proper Bible in exchange for that NRSV.  Then I would knock you unconscious with the NRSV, steal the diorama for Kelly, and drive away. 

This post has had a screen shot taken of it.

Nephi, you let me know when you wake up from being knocked out and robbed, and we can use it as evidence. 

:police:

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
You're a true friend.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
You're a true friend.
I'm not sure if I can agree with that assessment...

Deborah

Reaction score
Nephi said:
Nephi said:
Nephi said:
I had to expand it thanks to the not-so-small icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov that I received for Christmas. :p

And this is my current one, after having moved:

What my icon corner looked like until today (well, except another Old Testament Trinity icon in the upper-right):

What my icon corner looks like now, in the process of me rearranging everything and trying to make it feel less cluttered (it will no doubt change quite a bit again in the coming weeks):

I love the diorama! :)

My favourite arrangement is the photo you posted in March.

I'm thinking that because the shelf is narrow, it will tend to look "crowded" with the diorama and other large and/or framed icons sitting on it.  Can the diorama be hung on the wall?  Maybe if the dorama was mounted on the wall as a centrepiece, with other large and framed icons arranged around it, with the smaller icons and statuary on the table, it would look less crowded and no less pleasing :)

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Deborah said:

I'm thinking that because the shelf is narrow, it will tend to look "crowded" with the diorama and other large and/or framed icons sitting on it.  Can the diorama be hung on the wall?  Maybe if the dorama was mounted on the wall as a centrepiece, with other large and framed icons arranged around it, with the smaller icons and statuary on the table, it would look less crowded and no less pleasing :)
Yeah, the March arrangement is a good one...

Unfortunately I don't trust the wire hanger on the back to actually hold the diorama, which is why my Godfather had custom-made the shelf for me (if you notice in the older pictures there's a little raised spot right in front of the diorama that keeps it in place). I think I might need to get non-print icons that don't require such large frames... maybe that'll balance out the look a bit better.

I actually rearranged the room, so my icon corner is facing east for the first time in a year! :p Here's the new transitional look:

Altar Server

High Elder
Reaction score
Nephi said:
Deborah said:

Yeah, the March arrangement is a good one...

Unfortunately I don't trust the wire hanger on the back to actually hold the diorama, which is why my Godfather had custom-made the shelf for me (if you notice in the older pictures there's a little raised spot right in front of the diorama that keeps it in place). I think I might need to get non-print icons that don't require such large frames... maybe that'll balance out the look a bit better.

I actually rearranged the room, so my icon corner is facing east for the first time in a year! :p Here's the new transitional look:

I like that arrangement :)

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cool ... Though I use my icon corner for a reading functionality ~ Reading the Scriptures and Saying prayers .. whatnot

romaliz

Reaction score
kelly said:
romaliz, your icon of Grand Duchess Elizabeth is beautiful! Where did you get it?
I think I got it at archangels books online. :)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
WPM said:
Cool ... Though I use my icon corner for a reading functionality ~ Reading the Scriptures and Saying prayers .. whatnot
That is good. :)