• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Icon corners

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
This is mine - it still has bit of work to do (getting a new cover that is more dignified, adding more icons, especially near the candles, getting new books, etc.), but for where I am money wise, I think it's okay.

Full size:
http://image.ibb.co/cZiKdR/IMG_0068.jpg

The fabric has been straightened out since I took this picture (when I reset it up).

I picked out Saint Matthew (which is the my names Saint) and Saint Michael (who was my Roman Catholic Confirmation name and whom I think still has significance to me) as the two Saints underneath Christ and the Theotokos.

There are icons over the candle holders, which are that of "Our Lady and Jerusalem" and the Holy Family (which, I know isn't really proper, but is it true or false?)

I also organized it so everyone is facing towards the Crucifixion. I think that this is the Roman Catholic coming out of me though.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
LivenotoneviL said:
(which, I know isn't really proper, but is it true or false?)
What is true or false?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Is it true or false that Saint Joseph was guardian over Jesus throughout his childhood?

Yes, some people will deplore holy family icons because they, supposedly, imply that Joseph was Jesus' father, despite the fact that Catholics who are around these icons all the time don't believe this. I call this the Stalin-Yezhov school of iconography.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Where did you get the candle holders, LivenotoneviL? I need to get one myself.

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
RobS said:
Where did you get the candle holders, LivenotoneviL? I need to get one myself.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Catholic-Religious-Candle-Holder-Protestant-Holy-family-Maria-of-Jerusalem-icon/301973754024?hash=item464f09d0a8:m:m_i6VZOo_GgC_QuR5ZghpGw

Although the title says "Catholic," they aren't affiliated with any particular sect; they appear to sell Catholic, Orthodox, Jewish, and Islamic religious goods.

I bought those candles (and a lot of those icons) at a time when I reverted back to Traditional Catholicism, so I had no moral qualms about purchasing something "Catholic."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-RUSSIAN-ORTHODOX-Bless-Home-Icon-crucifix-Wall-Hanging-Decor-Holy-Family/291193939847?hash=item43cc82e787:g:hbAAAOSwjDZYYtuZ

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
Iconodule said:
Is it true or false that Saint Joseph was guardian over Jesus throughout his childhood?

Yes, some people will deplore holy family icons because they, supposedly, imply that Joseph was Jesus' father, despite the fact that Catholics who are around these icons all the time don't believe this. I call this the Stalin-Yezhov school of iconography.
But I think that the Orthodox are right when they say that, Traditionally, the role of Saint Joseph in art has always been downplayed. The Holy Family icon clearly comes from Rome giving Saint Joseph a more prominent role (as I think even every Mass Saint Joseph is asked for intercession).

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
In other words, "It comes from the west, so it must be bad."

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm glad that Western influence gave us the Extreme Humility and Softener of Hearts icons. Two of my favorites.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
UOCC
Here is ours, which I finally rearranged to accommodate our wedding icons. This alcove is between our kitchen and living room and is almost always in sight wherever one is in that area. Our landlord frowns on excess nails in walls and we're hoping to purchase a house soon, so I haven't organized them in an appropriate way and also have a few more in storage owing to a lack of room.

Top to bottom, clockwise: The Resurrection, Protection of the Mother of God, Softener of Evil Hearts (from when the myrrh-streaming icon visited our parish), Christ Pantocrator, St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki, Archangel Gabriel, Saint Nicholas the Tsar-Martyr (my patron saint), our wedding icons, and the Kazan Mother of God.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
So are there any traditions about placement/arrangement of icons in corners as there are with, say, the iconostasis? Are certain saints put above or below others, feasts placed in a certain place, female saints to one side and males to the other, etc.?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
^^ what are these leaves on the top?

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Dominika said:
From Christmas at a Serbian church.

PS: the joy of celebrating Christmas twice in the same fortnight!

MariaJLM

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Ah, prayer corners. Mine is more of a cluttered prayer shelf. I don't live in my own place so can't hang anything on the walls. That said, I just have a bunch of icons, prayer books, etc. piled up on a dresser. Most were also donated since I'm in a pretty dire situation financially.

MariaJLM

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Asteriktos said:
So are there any traditions about placement/arrangement of icons in corners as there are with, say, the iconostasis? Are certain saints put above or below others, feasts placed in a certain place, female saints to one side and males to the other, etc.?
Only guidelines I know of is to have Christ and the Theotokos set up like they are in an Iconostasis. Ideally, the prayer corner should also face East, but that is not a hard and fast rule. Honestly, it's a difficult one for most people to follow as where an icon corner can be ultimately depends on the layout of one's house.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Sharbel said:
Dominika said:
From Christmas at a Serbian church.
The first thought was that it's badnjak, but I don't associate you with Serbian Church, so I considered it as "impossible". I was wrong ;)
You see, despite being Serbian, I've never had badnjakat my home ;) That's what is called a paradox, I suppose.

Sharbel said:
PS: the joy of celebrating Christmas twice in the same fortnight!
I'm such traditionalist that I celebrate Christmas only once. Espeically that on 6th January is the first and on 7th January is the second day of great feast, that's equal to Christmas (in some way, even more triumphant).

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Dominika said:
The first thought was that it's badnjak, but I don't associate you with Serbian Church, so I considered it as "impossible". I was wrong ;)
There's a Serbian parish in town and I visited it at a friend's invitation. 

We are lucky to have a Greek, a Romanian, a Serbian, a Russian and a couple of Antiochian parishes in town.  So many riches... and food festivals! ;)

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Sharbel said:
Dominika said:
There's a Serbian parish in town and I visited it at a friend's invitation. 

We are lucky to have a Greek, a Romanian, a Serbian, a Russian and a couple of Antiochian parishes in town.  So many riches... and food festivals! ;)
I'm jealous! A couple of Antiochian parishes plus Romanian, Serbian and Greek! (I'm not fan of Russian)
In Poland, since we're autocephalus, we have only Polish parishes. But, at least, we have good Polish food ;) And parishioners from various minorities, especially in Warsaw (a few Serbs, a few Greek, a few Moldovians, a few Japanese) bring their food for some occassions.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
MariaJLM said:
Ah, prayer corners. Mine is more of a cluttered prayer shelf. I don't live in my own place so can't hang anything on the walls. That said, I just have a bunch of icons, prayer books, etc. piled up on a dresser. Most were also donated since I'm in a pretty dire situation financially.
I am a fellow keeper of a humble prayer "corner."  Using it is a huge start.  :)
And I hope you're carried through.  Financial struggles can be consuming.

chris911guy

Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
I'm glad I found this thread. My family and I are moving within the next couple of weeks and greatly downsizing our residence from a house to an apartment. I have been concerned over where to put our Icon corner due to lack of space; hopefully I can get some ideas here.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
I have scaled back some of the icons all over the house in recent months, but this is in a small space on top of a bookshelf in our living room.

The Christ and Theotokos icons are attached to my oldest son and daughter's baptismal candles. The two youngest children's candles are just out of frame. Son No. 2's candle was lost somewhere in the bustle since he was baptized during the literal eye of a hurricane.

The Bible was one of my grandfather's preaching Bibles, and has his handwritten notes in it. Closest thing I have to  relic.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
^^ love the Ethiopian stuff ;)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
RaphaCam said:
Great icon. I read a book about him (but mostly focused on the Scholl siblings) for school and loved it, it was amazing to find out he was a canonised saint years later.
It's a lot easier to find stuff about the Scholls than it is about Alexander (though Holy Trinity Publications has a short book/hagiography about him now) or Willie Graf.

Frank J

Reaction score
Faith
Russian Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Hello, My Brothers and Sisters,

I have a question on an Icon corner, must if face east or can it be anywhere ?? I'm an Orthodox Christian I use to have one up but it was over my wife's work desk. I took it down because it wasn't working out for me in that area, because I was able to pray there. Does anyone has any advice as to where it is to be???? I look to you my brother's and sister's help on this......

God bless you all..

Frank J.

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
Frank J said:
Hello, My Brothers and Sisters,

I have a question on an Icon corner, must if face east or can it be anywhere ?? I'm an Orthodox Christian I use to have one up but it was over my wife's work desk. I took it down because it wasn't working out for me in that area, because I was able to pray there. Does anyone has any advice as to where it is to be???? I look to you my brother's and sister's help on this......

God bless you all..

Frank J.
it's best if it is east but It does not necessarily have to be for example mine is on the wall just next to my bed so when I wake up the first thing I see is Jesus Christ looking down at me!

ComingofAge

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
^^ Good one!

ComingofAge

Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
^^ How did you manage to have such nice light on the cross? Only by candles?

ComingofAge

Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Dominika said:
There is a halogen light fixture attached to the ceiling above.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ComingofAge said:
Dominika said:
There is a halogen light fixture attached to the ceiling above.
Great :) It looks so nice.

ComingofAge

Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Thank you Dominika!

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
*New edition to my icon corner*

Saint Menas the martyr

(In the Russian church his name is pronounced meena)

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com
Faith
Old Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
Orthodox_Slav said:
*New edition to my icon corner*

Saint Menas the martyr

Beautiful!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox_Slav said:
Also in some other languages, including the original one.

Briven said:
Beautiful!
+1