• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Icon corners

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I read that we are supposed to keep religious literature in the icon corner.
Where did you read this?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
rakovsky said:
You're supposed to keep your devotional books within reach, not to turn the corner into a library.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
^^This.  I think it would be odd to have heterodox stuff in it, personally.  I do have all my Orthodox books in my corner, but it’s a cabinet and they’re hidden.  If it were an open shelf, I think I’d keep the non-prayer books somewhere else.  That’s all just me, though.  :)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
My Koran and Hadith is on the floor.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
hecma925 said:
Where did you read this?
It is in the instructions on setting up an icon corner that I got at an Antiochian church:

Setting Up an Icon Corner

A table, shelf, or cabinet will serve well to store and display the following holy items:
  • Prayer Books
  • The Bible
  • Spiritual Books
  • A Prayer List

https://www.st-philip.net/files/Resources/Home-Altar.pdf

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I think the term "holy items" is key.

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Should your icon corner face east? And should it be in an area that has a door you can close when you pray? I have several places in my home to have a corner, but none that face east. TIA

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Not necessarily. A lot of icon shelves, at least in Greece, are meant to go into corners, so by definition they can't face a single direction. Place your icons in any location that is conducive to prayer and everything can stay relatively undisturbed. Ours is on top of some bookshelves on the landing, so we pass by it several times a day.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Should your icon corner face east? And should it be in an area that has a door you can close when you pray? I have several places in my home to have a corner, but none that face east. TIA
Traditionally Orthodox prayed towards the East, though we each make do with whatever situation we're in

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
When watching the TV Series "Sophia" (Russian about 15th Century Princess Sophia and her marriage to Ivan III). They have what I would call a hanging prayer corner. Think of it as a ornate, wedge shaped box that allows three different icons (Left, Right, Middle). I thought that would be a wonderful way to have a prayer corner.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Wow! So beautiful! A taste of heaven.
It's my bedroom's East wall. The red votive is electric... and stays on all the time... so as I wake up in the middle of the night, Christ and all His saints are clearly visible. They are the last thing I see before closing my eyes, and the first when I open them.

It makes me feel secure. The one and only "constant" in my life.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
EO
It's my bedroom's East wall. The red votive is electric... and stays on all the time... so as I wake up in the middle of the night, Christ and all His saints are clearly visible. They are the last thing I see before closing my eyes, and the first when I open them.

It makes me feel secure. The one and only "constant" in my life.
That is so wonderful!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I have merged the posts from new thread about icon corner of the forumers with the old one.

Dominika, GM

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
EO
I see you have a lot of church bulletins there with beautiful icons pictured on the front. I have a tip you might like. I cut them out and use doubled sided craft tape, like for scrapbooking, and affix the paper icon to cardboard like from a cereal box or even sturdier cardboard if you have it. Kind of like a sturdy backing. See my recent post from this thread where I have a couple shown in my icon corner that I have done this way (the Lord Jesus, the Ascension and the Sts. Peter and Paul icons). I saved bulletins from church and have a ton I have made this way.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I see you have a lot of church bulletins there with beautiful icons pictured on the front. I have a tip you might like. I cut them out and use doubled sided craft tape, like for scrapbooking, and affix the paper icon to cardboard like from a cereal box or even sturdier cardboard if you have it. Kind of like a sturdy backing. See my recent post from this thread where I have a couple shown in my icon corner that I have done this way (the Lord Jesus, the Ascension and the Sts. Peter and Paul icons). I saved bulletins from church and have a ton I have made this way.
I like to use the icons from a calendar and then find really fancy old frames at a second hand store, paint a piece of cardboard a color to match that icon then tape it on and frame it. I give these as gifts.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
EO
Yeah, that's a great idea too. I save any Orthodox flyers, calendars etc. that have icons to repurpose them later. I have quite a stash.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Yeah, that's a great idea too. I save any Orthodox flyers, calendars etc. that have icons to repurpose them later. I have quite a stash.
Great for laminating to make bookmarks or to make small icon cards for little ones who are restless in church!