• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Icon corners

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Feanor said:
If I had friends over I would have to hide the icons to avoid persecution.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Be proud and strong! The Mother of God will protect you with her prayers.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
My impression is that this "icon corners" are more of a Russian/ Ukrainian thing. Am I right?
I've never seen them, growing up in Romania.
Do the Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, Arabs etc have them?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I had thought that I had seen a pic of the cell of Elder Cleopa of Romania with a ton of icons in it, but now that I've gone and looked for it, it turns out that it is a memorial cell. I assume that it's in what was his cell during this life. How many of those icons were there while he was alive, I don't know.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
The question is about setting up an "icon corner", not about having icons in your house.
Everybody had a few, of course-lithographs, usually, and kept them on the eastern wall, if possible, but nobody had an icon corner

Reaction score
augustin717 said:
My impression is that this "icon corners" are more of a Russian/ Ukrainian thing. Am I right?
Most of my Greek friends have icon corners.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
augustin717 said:
The question is about setting up an "icon corner", not about having icons in your house.
Everybody had a few, of course-lithographs, usually, and kept them on the eastern wall, if possible, but nobody had an icon corner
Ok, fair enough. :)

Reaction score
augustin717 said:
An icon corner does not have to literally be in a corner where two walls meet. The idea is to just have an area with an icon, some prayer books, the Bible, etc. Basically an area for you to pray. Some people have icon corners that are quite elaborate, others are quite simple.

How elaborate the corner is decorated is not important; it is the prayers that are said there that are important.

Heck, if one is unable to have any icons in one's house, as long as one is praying, THAT is good.

Feanor

Reaction score
I don't deny Christ. I just don't set myself up for abuse whenever I have guests over. Many of my closest friends are atheists and find organised religion to be downright repugnant. They know I'm a Christian, but if they saw icons in my home it would just be a catalyst for problems.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Feanor said:
I don't deny Christ. I just don't set myself up for abuse whenever I have guests over. Many of my closest friends are atheists and find organised religion to be downright repugnant. They know I'm a Christian, but if they saw icons in my home it would just be a catalyst for problems.
Conflict isn't always a bad thing, especially when it's about Truth.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Seriously, let's cut Feanor some slack.  Acting like armchair martyrs will do one any good and, in the end, may actually prove to be evil. 

Unless you're a personal friend or in his shoes, no one should be counseling Feanor to engage in conflict with anyone.

Remember who you are and where you are.

Reaction score
Schultz said:
Seriously, let's cut Feanor some slack.  Acting like armchair martyrs will do one any good and, in the end, may actually prove to be evil. 

Unless you're a personal friend or in his shoes, no one should be counseling Feanor to engage in conflict with anyone.

Remember who you are and where you are.
Good point. 

Feanor, I apologize if I have offended you, and humbly ask for your forgiveness.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Schultz said:
Rule of thumb: If you don't want a running commentary, then don't post personal things on the internet. Especially not on a discussion forum, where the point is to discuss what is brought up. This isn't the prayer forum, so it's fair game. Nice job on the armchair martyrs comment though.  ;)

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Engage him in encouraging conversation?  Yes.  (eg. "It's a shame your friends aren't more open minded and accepting of your decision to be a Christian.  You have my sympathy and prayers.")

Tell him to engage in conflict that he may or may not be ready (which one would know only if he was a personal friend of Feanor and a confidant) to deal with?  No.

Cf. Romans 14.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Schultz said:
Engage him in encouraging conversation?  Yes.  (eg. "It's a shame your friends aren't more open minded and accepting of your decision to be a Christian.  You have my sympathy and prayers.")

Tell him to engage in conflict that he may or may not be ready (which one would know only if he was a personal friend of Feanor and a confidant) to deal with?  No.

Cf. Romans 14.
Bravo, Schultz!  Well said! :laugh:

brittrossiter

Reaction score
Altar Server said:
brittrossiter said:
Here's my little prayer corner:

Brittrossiter

Who is the Saint depicted in the middle icon and also who is the saint to his left?
If you are talking about the middle row, from left to right, they are: (a) St. Xenia of St. Petersburg; (b) St. John the Forerunner; and (c) the Theophany

The Saint on the bottom is St. Peter the Aleut.

stashko

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
brittrossiter ......
Very Very nice Prayer Corner,One thing though  do the eastern orthodox icons, get along with the Latin crucifix...inquiring mind wants to know... ;D

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Here are my Icon corners. Not as authentic and tidy as some of the beautiful ones others have posted, but I see Christ here nonetheless. :)

My daughter Adayah in front of the Icon corner in our living room.

The Icon corner in my study.

Selam

brittrossiter

Reaction score
stashko said:
brittrossiter ......
Very Very nice Prayer Corner,One thing though  do the eastern orthodox icons, get along with the Latin crucifix...inquiring mind wants to know... ;D
LOL so far, yes.  I have not had to break up many fights, and whatever chatter they may engage in doesn't keep me up at night.  ;D 

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
augustin717 said:
Bulgarians in Istanbul had them before 1962 when we emigrated to the United States. In my one visit to Bulgaria in 1957, nobody had icons, let alone icon corners (big trouble with the Communist authorities). In the United States, I have seen icons and icon corners in the homes of pious Orthodox folks of many backgrounds--convert and cradle alike.

Feanor

Reaction score
I'm not offended, and you raise some good points regarding what Christ said about being persecuted for his sake. Witnessing my faith to my friends and hopefully bringing them to God is certainly high on my agenda, but I've known these friends of mine for many years and I know the right way to go about it. Being confrontational and inviting conflict is NOT the way with these people. Nor can I imagine it being an effective means of witnessing Christ to anyone, really. The confrontational nature of many Christians is something I've noticed in my workplace and university and it simply is not an effective way to preach the faith. I know my friends and I know how they would respond to various things. I know that by keeping a permenant icon corner in my room I would alienate myself very quickly, which would render any efforts to bring them to Christ totally useless.

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
brittrossiter said:
Here's my little prayer corner:

how beautiful! 
who is the icon depicting second row, far left?  I have noticed her at church and have always wondered.  I figured she's one of the Russian martyrs of the 20th century, but who is she?

sorry! I neglected to read the responses on this topic before posting my own.  I see that she's St. Xenia of St. Petersburg.

still, BEAUTIFUL ICON CORNER!

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Asteriktos said:
wynd said:
Where'd you get those shelves? (or, alternatively, how did you make them?) I need to get some of these myself.
I got both at Lowe's Home Improvement. I think the top shelf was about $10 and the floor shelving unit was about $35.

EDIT--I've added a few icons since my last pic, and I'm still waiting on a couple icons to arrive...

looks nice!  I have the Same dyptich at my other icon corner!  I have two, my mainone at home, and another at my dad's house, so that I can pray and feel like I'm home again.

chatelaa

Reaction score
I have a small apartment, also; I'm an artist and I read a LOT, so I don't have much room, but I made some space on a wall right above my long work-table/bench.  In the middle of the table, next to the wall, I have my Bibles and prayerbooks.  Above the prayerbooks I have two rows of icons.  When my atheist friends come over, I don't say anything about the icons unless they ask questions.  Some do.  I figure the icons are part of my DNA, so if my friends accept me (which includes my cats, my paintings, stained glass windows, etc)  they also have to accept the icons.  And they do, because they are kind people.  But I'm older.  When I was young, I was worried about such things as being accepted by others.  Now, I understand they simply accept me or they don't and if they don't they aren't my friends.  But it took me many years to get to this confident state of mind and heart.

brianj29

Reaction score
Hi I converted 10 years ago (my grandmother had been russian orthodox but I did conversion and attend greek orthodox). Anyhow I am going through divorce and have 2 small children(wife is lutheran).Anyhow I am trying to deepen my faith and have a tradition with my children 8 and 3.So I am setting up an icon corner. I have a corner a wall cross Christ,Mary icon and each of our saints maximus,matthew,leo. I am confused about candles,incense etc. i am not going to leave a oil lamp on all of the time with small kids is a single votive acceptable when we pray(bee wax candle normal dollars store candle??? is incense optional? does it have to be certain kind. I have orthodox bible and prayer book. In short looking for suggestions I am truing to not get to complex as it distracts and frustrates me from what I am trying to do which is be closer to God and my boys during this difficult time

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Welcome, Brian
No two icon corners are alike. Don't be surprised if what I'm about to say gets contradicted - I don't think there are any real rules about what should be in a home icon corner. It needs to be a place where you are drawn to prayer and will encounter God as an Orthodox Christian. My wife is not Orthodox. Incense is a definite no in my home. Yes, be sensible concerning safety issues with candles. I light mine only when I approach for prayer. Don't worry about whether the candle is monastery produced beeswax or dollar store variety. It is good to have the best that you can acquire, but do remember that Christ is the True Light.

Your divorce is certainly unfortunate. You will have quite the challenge raising your children. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
brianj29 said:
In short looking for suggestions I am truing to not get to complex as it distracts and frustrates me from what I am trying to do which is be closer to God and my boys during this difficult time.
If you have an open heart and faith, you have everything you need. God keep you and yours during this difficult time. Kyrie Eleison.

thetraditionalfrog

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
My icon corner is quite simple. Two icons, one of Christ, and one of Mary. I have a wall cross centered above and between them. Underneath, I have a shelf on which I keep a bottle of Holy Water, oil from St John Maximovitch (lampada), my bible and Jordanville prayerbook. Hanging in front is a simple lampada. The icons and wall cross are from Russia. I'll try and post a photo soon.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Altar Server said:
Andrew what do you have in your icon corner(what icons ect...)?
On the wall where the lamp is, on the top I have a small icon of the Theotokos of Czestochowa. On the next row I have (from left to right) St. Anthony, St. Nicholas, Christ, the Resurrection, Ladder of Divine Ascent, and then St. George, on the next row there is St. Isaac of Syria, the Theotokos of the Passion, a Russian Cross, Rublev Trinity, All Saints of America (has a glare on it), and then St. Andrew under that. The next row has St. Vladimir of Kiev, St. Innocent of Alaska, St. John the Baptist, the Prophet Elias, St. John of San Francisco, and St. Seraphim of Sarov. On the book shelf leaning on the wall is the 40 Martyrs of Sebaste, Christ the Bridegroom, and St. James the Just. On the wall to the left at the top is the icon of Elders Joseph the Hesychast, Ephraim of Katounakia, Porphyrios, and Paisios, under it is the Optina Elders, and the Last Supper, under it is the Last Judgment, and on the shelf is the Theotokos (and on it is a paper icon of the icon of St. George from Zographou Monastery on Mt. Athos), and then next to that is a small Kursk Root icon that was blessed by the actual wonderworking icon.

CatholicLife

Reaction score

This is my "icon corner" . Some may say the icon of St Michael of the Apocalypse is not painted in a very traditional style, which I know is true but I like it. I hope to get some more iconsduring this year.

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Here is the icon corner in my room.
Andrew, can I ask where you got that icon of the Theotokos on the far left?  The Westernized one, which is behind the censer.  It is beautiful.  I've been looking for something like that for quite some time now.  Thanks!

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Seth84 said:
Andrew21091 said:
Here is the icon corner in my room.
Andrew, can I ask where you got that icon of the Theotokos on the far left?  The Westernized one, which is behind the censer.  It is beautiful.  I've been looking for something like that for quite some time now.  Thanks!
I got it at my parish bookstore. I'm not sure where the guy at the store found it. I looked through the icons on Jordanville's website as well as Archangels books (they have a huge collection of icons though) and didn't find that particular one though they do have similar Russian icons. I also checked St. Isaac's Skete, Dormition Skete, and HTM and didn't find it and I don't know where else I could look. I would Archangels books would be a good place to look to find an icon similar to the one I have.

http://archangelsbooks.com/products.asp?cat=Mounted+Orthodox+Icons+of+the+Theotokos&pg=9
http://iconstudio.jordanville.org/i_theotokos.html