Icon translation

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Shores Where Seas Break Backs
"Поминáйте настáвники вáша и́же глагóлаша вáмъ слóво Бж҃ıе"

"Remember your leaders, who have spoken unto you the word of God." (Hebrews 13:7)
 

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Shores Where Seas Break Backs
RaphaCam said:
Hawkeye said:
"Поминáйте настáвники вáша и́же глагóлаша вáмъ слóво Бж҃ıе"
Did you type this, or did you copy and paste it from some Bible? The only "copy-and-pasteable" CS Bible I've found was in all modern Cyrillic alphabet.
I generally use Azbyka.ru but it spells out abbreviated words and only utilizes a select few of the archaic letters. To get "Бж҃ıе," I had to find the necessary characters elsewhere.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,145
Reaction score
12
Points
38
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Hawkeye said:
RaphaCam said:
Hawkeye said:
"Поминáйте настáвники вáша и́же глагóлаша вáмъ слóво Бж҃ıе"
Did you type this, or did you copy and paste it from some Bible? The only "copy-and-pasteable" CS Bible I've found was in all modern Cyrillic alphabet.
I generally use Azbyka.ru but it spells out abbreviated words and only utilizes a select few of the archaic letters. To get "Бж҃ıе," I had to find the necessary characters elsewhere.
This attention to detail is why I love you.
 

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Shores Where Seas Break Backs
Mor Ephrem said:
Hawkeye said:
RaphaCam said:
Hawkeye said:
"Поминáйте настáвники вáша и́же глагóлаша вáмъ слóво Бж҃ıе"
Did you type this, or did you copy and paste it from some Bible? The only "copy-and-pasteable" CS Bible I've found was in all modern Cyrillic alphabet.
I generally use Azbyka.ru but it spells out abbreviated words and only utilizes a select few of the archaic letters. To get "Бж҃ıе," I had to find the necessary characters elsewhere.
This attention to detail is why I love you.
Aw, shucks.
 

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Shores Where Seas Break Backs
More specifically, it's from an adaption of that psalm bit in a prayer uttered by the Grand Prince at the consecration of the Church of the Tithes. This particular version of the full prayer, slightly different from what appears in the manuscripts of the Primary Chronicle, can be found in Russian here. The bolded parts of the initial lines are those words that appear on the icon itself:

"Lord God, look down from Heaven and behold, and visit Your vineyard, and accomplish that which Your right hand has planted. Look down upon this new people of Yours, whose hearts You have changed towards understanding, to know You, the True God!"
 

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Shores Where Seas Break Backs
I accidentally quoted myself so here's the full prayer courtesy of OCA.org, which I had used as the basis for my translation:

"O Lord God, look down from Heaven and behold, and visit Your vineyard, which Your right hand has planted. And make this new people, whom You have converted in heart and mind to know You, the True God. And look down upon this Your church, which Your unworthy servant has built in the name of the Mother Who gave birth to Thee, the Ever-Virgin Theotokos. And whoever prays in this church, let his prayer be heard, through the prayers of the All-Pure Mother of God."

In my research, I found, however, that this likewise doesn't quite accord with the prayer as it appears in the Primary Chronicle, and is rather a translation of a different Russian variant.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,563
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
22
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
For future reference:

The Russian Primary Chronicle said:
6502-6504 (994-996). Vladimir, upon seeing his church completed, entered it and prayed to God, saying, "Lord God! Look down from heaven, behold and visit thy vineyard, and perfect what thy right hand has begun. Make these new people, whose heart thou hast turned unto wisdom, to know thee as the true God. Look upon this thy church which I, thine unworthy servant, have builded in the name of the Ever-Virgin Mother of-God who bore thee. Through the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin, hear the supplication of whosoever shall pray in this church." After he had offered this prayer, he added, "I bestow upon this church of the Holy Virgin a tithe of my property and of my cities." Then he wrote out a donation and deposited it in the church, declaring, "If anyone violates this promise, may he be accursed." So he gave the tithe to Anastasius of Kherson, and made a great festival on that day for the boyars and elders of the people, distributing also much largess to the poor.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,563
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Age
22
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Hawkeye said:
Did you translate that yourself, Rapha? If so, what source did you use?
No, it's a Cambridge translation from the Laurentian text, you can easily find a PDF, but I don't think the forum rules allow these links. I really liked it, so I posted it here so it would be saved somewhere.  :p
 

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Shores Where Seas Break Backs
RaphaCam said:
Hawkeye said:
Did you translate that yourself, Rapha? If so, what source did you use?
No, it's a Cambridge translation from the Laurentian text, you can easily find a PDF, but I don't think the forum rules allow these links. I really liked it, so I posted it here so it would be saved somewhere.  :p
Thanks. All cards on the table, I have done no meaningful study of old Slavic languages and even my Russian is rather mediocre. The quote above helped me with some terms I might have mistaken otherwise. That said, the translator did make some questionable choices, not least of all being their refusal to deal with "Бц҃а" directly.
 

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Shores Where Seas Break Backs
Psalm 38:9 (37:10, LXX):

Lord, before You is all my desire, and my sighing is not hidden from You.

As a side note, the way his hand is positioned makes me think someone was trying to pull a fast one. The icon's style aside, it is potentially arguable whether he is blessing according to the Old Rite or the New.
 
Top