Icon translation

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Orthodox_Slav said:
Brilko said:
I’m trying to figure out what this is but the text is defeating me. This is the best picture I’ve been able to get.

it's beautiful!
I believe the first part says "St. Alexius, Metropolitan of Moscow, Wonderworker", but the "wonderworker" part is just guessing because I can only read "miracle", not "worker". The second part says "St. Alexius, man of God".

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
RaphaCam said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
Brilko said:
I’m trying to figure out what this is but the text is defeating me. This is the best picture I’ve been able to get.

it's beautiful!
I believe the first part says "St. Alexius, Metropolitan of Moscow, Wonderworker", but the "wonderworker" part is just guessing because I can only read "miracle", not "worker". The second part says "St. Alexius, man of God".
Lol, I wrote it in reply 117.
There is an abbreviation "chud" so it has to be "wonderworker", as for "miracle" the abbreviation is rather not used.

Brilko

Elder
Reaction score
Часне вериге св Петра

I’ve seen mention of the “honorable chains” or “precious chains” of St. Peter. Google translate gives me “time chains” of St. Peter. What is the better translation for these chains?

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Brilko said:
Часне вериге св Петра

I’ve seen mention of the “honorable chains” or “precious chains” of St. Peter. Google translate gives me “time chains” of St. Peter. What is the better translation for these chains?
timeless chains of saint peter

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Brilko said:
Часне вериге св Петра

Honorable. There is for example "chesny krest" so it means "honorable Cross".
Google translate probable takes only the fisrt part of the word: "chas" and it means "time".

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
hecma925 said:
I thought I could make out Arsenii at the top.
Yeah, you're right. And "wonderworker". An I see on the paper he has "...and became inhabitant of desert and I waited for God that is saving me from..."

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

Only hint: border icon on larger icon of Theotokos the Healer.

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
St. Antipas?
A google search reveals he’s the patron of dental health, reasonable merit for appearing on a healing icon.

Thank you for your help.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Ви́дите бра́те пꙋ́ть сей ѹзкїй иже вво́дитъ въ райскую широ́ту а широ́кий вò адъ

"Do you see, brethren, that this way is narrow which leads to the breadth of Paradise, but that wide is [the one] to Hell?"

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Пе́рвѣе вси́ ви́ды мꙋ́къ изнемо́гꙋтѣ не́же мы́ Хрта на́шегѡ ѿве́ржемся

"All forms of torture will first fail before we reject our Christ."

(Included above are the letterer's mistakes, specifically the wrong stress mark on final letters and the absence of a necessary abbreviation mark for Christ. I couldn't figure out how to replicate the superscript on the last word but since it was wrong anyway, I fixed it.)