• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Icon Veneration

JessicaH

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Hello! I was baptized in October 2015 Greek Orthodox.  I understand the reason we venerate icons but is it necessary to venerate them each time we pass?  At home I have several icons but I don't venerate them unless I am praying. Is this wrong?  Are we supposed to venerate each time we pass?  A member of the Coptic Church told me that the icons (I call them icons) that I have at home are not "really" icons because they have to be blessed with myrrh to be considered an icon so these are just "pictures".  I just really want to be on the right track with everything and am trying my best to things properly.  I almost feel hypocritical sometimes venerating the icon at church and then not doing it at home... Some clarity on this would help me a little.  Thank you and God Bless! 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
JessicaH said:
Hello! I was baptized in October 2015 Greek Orthodox.  I understand the reason we venerate icons but is it necessary to venerate them each time we pass?  At home I have several icons but I don't venerate them unless I am praying. Is this wrong? 
It's not wrong. You do ok.

A member of the Coptic Church told me that the icons (I call them icons) that I have at home are not "really" icons because they have to be blessed with myrrh to be considered an icon so these are just "pictures". 
Do not bother about it.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
My icons at home hang on a wall...making it rather difficult to kiss them "each" time I pass.

I have an icon wall, and others hang in the corners over beds...impossible to kiss...and yet, we still stand before them and pray.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Mine are right at the junction of two halls...so I pass them maybe 75 times a day. 

I might bow or cross myself to the whole gathered assembly, but I do not venerate the individual icons every time.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
JessicaH said:
A member of the Coptic Church told me that the icons (I call them icons) that I have at home are not "really" icons because they have to be blessed with myrrh to be considered an icon so these are just "pictures". 
That represents one school of thought regarding what makes an icon an icon, but it's not the only one.  I wouldn't worry about it.  In fact, I don't: none of my icons are "blessed", so to speak. 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
The custom of having icons specially blessed is problematic from the standpoint of the 7th ecumenical council. Icons are holy by virtue of whom they represent and the honor given to those persons. See here for more: http://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/does-the-blessing-of-icons-agree-with-or-contradict-the-tradition-of-the-orthodox-church/

efthimios

Reaction score
I've been orthodox all my life coming from Greece and from orthodox parents

You don't have to venerate and kiss even icon you pass.  I notice people at church do this, at the same time playing doing their cross at the speed and resembles a guitar...

Beware of getting caught up in traditions. What matters Is what your heart is saying and if you are being filled with the Holy Spirit.  The more I read the new testament and what Jesus stressed as important the more my eyes were opened.
Jesus said somethings about the pharises thst did alot of their praying in public to impress people.. Jesus doesn't judge us on how many icons we venerate..

Although I think icons are great in the atmosphere of the orthodox worship.