• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Iconostasis without Icons?

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice that, when looking at floor plans of the Hagia Sophia as it appeared originally, that the Iconostasis as we know it had no icons, but merely open space separated by columns.

In fact, it appears to be more of a Chancel Screen seen in some very old Catholic churches. So, I'm wondering if there have been any official Traditions in how Iconostasis should be constructed, or if one could still find a church that doesn't have icons on the screen.

Not to say I dislike having icons there, I'm just curious.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Hm.  Looks like a rood screen used in Anglican cathedrals.

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
Simayan said:
I couldn't help but notice that, when looking at floor plans of the Hagia Sophia as it appeared originally, that the Iconostasis as we know it had no icons, but merely open space separated by columns.
Of course it doesn't Hagia Sophia was built before the Iconoclastic period. It was not until the Orthodox Triumph that the icons were put on the screen.