• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Icons on the Iconostasis

drewmeister2

Elder
Reaction score
I know I have been told before (I forget now), but which side of the Iconostasis is the icon of the saint of the parish on?  Like, if a parish name is St. John the Baptist, would St. John's icon be on the Iconostasis?

Thank you :)

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
drewmeister2 said:
I know I have been told before (I forget now), but which side of the Iconostasis is the icon of the saint of the parish on? Like, if a parish name is St. John the Baptist, would St. John's icon be on the Iconostasis?

Second from the royal doors on the left, next to our Lady, though if the Church is named for St. John the Baptist our Lady or our Lord there may be some variations, because they already have Icons with assigned locations on all Iconostases.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
I've seen a few Carpatho-Rus churches with a variation, one which said that their iconostasis was patterned after one in the old country... but otherwise what GiC stated is the norm...

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
drewmeister2 said:
I know I have been told before (I forget now), but which side of the Iconostasis is the icon of the saint of the parish on? Like, if a parish name is St. John the Baptist, would St. John's icon be on the Iconostasis?

depends on what tradition the parish follows - Greek or Slavic.  If it is a church of the Greek tradition the Icon of the church is on the left next to the Theotokos.  If it is of the Slavic tradition the Icon will probably be on the right next to the Icon of Christ.

Orthodoc

drewmeister2

Elder
Reaction score
Orthodoc said:
depends on what tradition the parish follows - Greek or Slavic. If it is a church of the Greek tradition the Icon of the church is on the left next to the Theotokos. If it is of the Slavic tradition the Icon will probably be on the right next to the Icon of Christ.

Orthodoc
Well, actually, this is at a Melkite parish I go to (which is similar to the Antiochian tradition). Do the Antiochians follow the tradition of the Greeks? Thanks :).

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
THe Antiochians typically have the same liturigcal traditions as the Greeks (ahem, the real Romans)...

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Serbian Orthodox Church - Midwest
My ROCOR church (St. Michael) has in order from left to right when facing the altar: St. John Chrysostom, St. Nicholas, Archangel Gabriel on the deacon door, Theotokos, Matthew, Luke, John, Mark, Christ Enthroned, St. Stephen on the deacon door, St. Michael (someone explain to me how a bodiless host can be a saint... :'( , St. John the Baptist.