• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

"I'd love to baptize ET"

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'd love to baptise ET, says Vatican's stargazer

Intelligent aliens may be living among the stars and are likely to have souls, a senior Vatican scientist said yesterday.

The Pope's astronomer, Guy Consolmagno, said he would be happy to 'baptise an al ien' - but admitted that the chances of communicating with life outside the Earth were low.

Speaking at the British Science Festival in Birmingham, Dr Consolmagno also dismissed Creationism and claimed that the revival of 'intelligent design' - the controversial theory that only God can explain gaps in the theory of evolution - was 'bad theology'.

Dr Consolmagno, one of a team of 12 astronomers working for the Vatican, said the Catholic Church had been supporting and funding science for centuries.

A self-confessed science fiction fan, he said he was 'comfortable' with the idea of alien life.

Asked if he would baptise an alien, he replied: 'Only if they asked.'

He added: 'I'd be delighted if we found life elsewhere and delighted if we found intelligent life elsewhere.

'But the odds of us finding it, of it being intelligent and us being able to communicate with it - when you add them up it's probably not a practical question.

'God is bigger than just humanity. God is also the god of angels.'

In the middle ages, the definition of a soul was to have intelligence, free will, freedom to love and freedom to make decisions, he said.

Those characteristics may not be unique to humans.

'Any entity - no matter how many tentacles it has - has a soul,' he added.

In practice, machines were unlikely to be smart or human enough to have souls.

Dr Consolmagno, 57, the curator of the Pope's meteorite collection, is a trained astronomer and planetary scientist at the Vatican's observatory.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312922/Pope-astronomer-Guy-Consolmagno-Aliens-souls-living-stars.html

If sentient alien life were discovered, what would the implications be for the Orthodox Church?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That person said:
If sentient alien life were discovered, what would the implications be for the Orthodox Church?
I think that the Orthodox Church as enough real problems to deal with without adding fruitless hypothetical debates into the mess.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Why are extraterrestrials always so squid-like?  :p

Alveus Lacuna said:
I think that the Orthodox Church as enough real problems to deal with without adding fruitless hypothetical debates into the mess.
And which of those "real problems" aren't fruitless hypothetical debates?   ;)

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
If you've seen the movie "Signs" (with Mel Gibson), you'll know that aliens are averse to water, making baptism very difficult.

If aliens do exist, perhaps they never experienced a Fall from Grace, like we humans did.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Entscheidungsproblem said:
And which of those "real problems" aren't fruitless hypothetical debates?   ;)
I spotted that sass a mile away; in fact as I was typing the sentence. Our problems are real for us. Some of us commit to Orthodoxy and its principles. It's not a detour on a "greater" path, it is the path. I understand if your conscience has led you in another direction; if you could not full a whole heart believe in the truth of Orthodoxy. But that does not mean that you should hang around and belittle our own issues struggles on an Orthodox board.

You might say that you're "just joking", but every joke is just one more attempt to trivialize the faith which established the universe. Some us us don't take apostasy lightly.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.iheu.org
Alveus Lacuna said:
You might say that you're "just joking", but every joke is just one more attempt to trivialize the faith which established the universe. Some us us don't take apostasy lightly.
Yes, because I am sure a deity that founded all of creation would be so dogmatically opposed to people of various denominations praying before a meal together, etc...  Most Orthodox see half of these "real problems" as pointless dividing squabbles too.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.iheu.org
Jetavan said:
If you've seen the movie "Signs" (with Mel Gibson), you'll know that aliens are averse to water, making baptism very difficult.

If aliens do exist, perhaps they never experienced a Fall from Grace, like we humans did.
I think it would be interesting to see how their unique beliefs might start to displace Earth-born ones.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Yes, because I am sure a deity that founded all of creation would be so dogmatically opposed to people of various denominations praying before a meal together, etc...  Most Orthodox see half of these "real problems" as pointless dividing squabbles too.
In my experience in Orthodox parishes you're far more likely to get into a conversation about biological research or even extraterrestrials than about praying with heretics or having a Jewish doctor. (And the Greeks, at least, tend to be quite progressive on these matters, regardless of these religious beliefs.) If someone brought up these 'real problems' in a 'real parish' they'd likely be laughed out of the building...they're not 'real problems', they're pet theological issues akin to how many angles can fit on the head of a pin, 'problems' found mostly on the internet these days.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Jetavan said:

I think it would be interesting to see how their unique beliefs might start to displace Earth-born ones.
Like evolution?

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
That person said:

Intelligent aliens may be living among the stars and are likely to have souls, a senior Vatican scientist said yesterday.

The Pope's astronomer, Guy Consolmagno, said he would be happy to 'baptise an al ien' - but admitted that the chances of communicating with life outside the Earth were low.

Speaking at the British Science Festival in Birmingham, Dr Consolmagno also dismissed Creationism and claimed that the revival of 'intelligent design' - the controversial theory that only God can explain gaps in the theory of evolution - was 'bad theology'.

Dr Consolmagno, one of a team of 12 astronomers working for the Vatican, said the Catholic Church had been supporting and funding science for centuries.

A self-confessed science fiction fan, he said he was 'comfortable' with the idea of alien life.

He added: 'I'd be delighted if we found life elsewhere and delighted if we found intelligent life elsewhere.

'But the odds of us finding it, of it being intelligent and us being able to communicate with it - when you add them up it's probably not a practical question.

In the middle ages, the definition of a soul was to have intelligence, free will, freedom to love and freedom to make decisions, he said.

Dr Consolmagno, 57, the curator of the Pope's meteorite collection, is a trained astronomer and planetary scientist at the Vatican's observatory.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312922/Pope-astronomer-Guy-Consolmagno-Aliens-souls-living-stars.html

I believe CS Lewis' (though he was not Orthodox) essay "Religion and Rocketry" speaks to this question quite well.

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
That person said:

I don't know about the aliens, but I do know that Christ did not became incarnate as a rational soul but as a man. I'm not really worried about the answer, but I'm sure if the Church were faced with that situation, that one fact would have to be taken into account for how we relate to them on religious terms.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
GiC said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
In my experience in Orthodox parishes you're far more likely to get into a conversation about biological research or even extraterrestrials than about praying with heretics or having a Jewish doctor. (And the Greeks, at least, tend to be quite progressive on these matters, regardless of these religious beliefs.) If someone brought up these 'real problems' in a 'real parish' they'd likely be laughed out of the building...they're not 'real problems', they're pet theological issues akin to how many angles can fit on the head of a pin, 'problems' found mostly on the internet these days.
Just to clarify, I didn't say anything about praying with heretics, etc. By "real" problems, I meant just that. Things that have to do with real life that concern most Orthodox faithful, at least in the USA. Things like administrative unity, attaining a holy life in repentance, etc. Not abstract theological musings.

Reaction score
GiC said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
Agreed.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
observer said:
the gods (aliens) of the heathen are demons.
That's a not-so-rare notion among conservative Protestants: that so-called 'aliens' and their 'UFOs' are actually demons or fallen angels.

MyMapleStory

Reaction score
Well what if we found aliens and they already had Christian Orthodoxy? Orthodoxy proved?

Russell

Reaction score
I know it is not space aliens but still Saint Innoncent was an alien(foreigner)  in Alaska.

I recall a story about Saint Innocent baptising natives in alaska.  He came accross a village that had no contact with the Russians but all the people were already prepared by the village shaman. The shaman had a vision/dream about christianity before Innocent had arrived.

Anyone have a link to this story? or remember this?

NorthernPines

High Elder
Reaction score
Russell said:
I know it is not space aliens but still Saint Innoncent was an alien(foreigner)  in Alaska.

I recall a story about Saint Innocent baptising natives in alaska.  He came accross a village that had no contact with the Russians but all the people were already prepared by the village shaman. The shaman had a vision/dream about christianity before Innocent had arrived.

Anyone have a link to this story? or remember this?
I remember a lecture given by Fr. Michael Oleksa where he told that story. I don't have the link, but you could try googling him and see what comes up.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"For the Orthodox discovery of intelligent life on another planet would raise the question of how far advanced these beings are in their love and preparation for divine glory."

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/11/fr-john-romanides-on-extraterrestrial.html

danman916

Reaction score
Whatever does "man in the image of God" mean in that article. The good Father seems to be rejecting the belief that man was created in the image of God.

His position is rather problematic since Genesis explicitly tells us this.

Maybe he just suffers from the latent Orthodox problem of not being able to understand Catholicism, so draws strange conclusions from false presumptions.

Wouldn't be the first time.

By the way, in no article I saw did Br. Consolmagno say he'd  "love to baptize ET". The quotes in other sources I've seen when asked about baptizing an alien states that he would do so only if the alien asked for it.

http://www.ewtnnews.com/new.php?id=1688

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
We already have aliens.  They are called "politicians." :)

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Missionaries to space? What will they think of next.

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't remember the name offhand but Ray Bradbury wrote a short story, long ago, on this very subject - IIRC it was amusing but also touching.  I'm not at a computer right now so perhaps someone else could look for it - was in one of his early collections.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
xariskai said:
Maybe the aliens might send missionaries to us.
"My earthling brothers, have you heard the good news? Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
PeterTheAleut said:
xariskai said:
Maybe the aliens might send missionaries to us.
"My earthling brothers, have you heard the good news? Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"
They'll probably start spreading these:

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
theistgal said:
Can't remember the name offhand but Ray Bradbury wrote a short story, long ago, on this very subject - IIRC it was amusing but also touching.  I'm not at a computer right now so perhaps someone else could look for it - was in one of his early collections.
http://onefracturedfairytale.blogspot.com/2007/11/christus-apollo-by-ray-bradbury.html

Maybe you meant this. (remember, it's just fiction!)

monkvasyl

High Elder
Reaction score
Jetavan said:

Or does the fall of us humans affect all creation?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
It would hasten Orthodoxy's plunge into irrelevancy.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That assumes Orthodoxy is irrelevant.

What is the implication if no sentient life is ever found, or more, it is found no sentient alien exists?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Asteriktos said:

What is the implication if no sentient life is ever found, or more, it is found no sentient alien exists?
I don't think Orthodoxy is totally irrelevant, I just think it is moving in that direction. Orthodoxy used to be all about "baptizing" pagan customs, meeting intellectual opponents head on, and transforming individual lives. Now it's just about the last one, and unable or unwilling to do the first two. True, every once in a while you will get someone who is Orthodox that will engage the surrounding culture: maybe this person is interested in bioethics, maybe that person is interested in using his past experience in punk music to do missionary work. But these are exceptions to the rule.

Regarding your question, as with 90% of the evidence for or against religion, God, etc., I would certainly take into consideration such findings, but I don't think it would be a strong mark in favor of either side (though I admit that I haven't thought about it much).

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
ialmisry said:
Asteriktos said:

I think we would have to consider what we mean by "human". When we talk of "humanity" are we talking of our particular biological species or are we talking about any created, limitted, self-sentient, intelligent beings?