• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Identifying an Icon

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Faith
Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton of the Melkites
KYIR6539[1].JPG

Any help identifying this icon would be welcome.
It is written or painted (whichever you prefer) on the reverse of an icon on which only the oklad survives - and which contains the text below at the bottom

BLEK1325[1].JPG

Last edited:

brlon

Reaction score
Faith
None
Jurisdiction
None
The inscription at the top left suggests Saint Gregory the Theologian (...igor b[o]goslov); the inscription at the upper right is too obscured to read.
The inscription on the metalwork [Sancta Maria Auxiliatrix Passavienis Miraculis Clara] appears to relate to an image popular in Bavaria and Austria, originally painted (it is believed) by the 16th century artist Lucas Cranach the Elder.

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Faith
Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton of the Melkites
Thank you. Your eyesight is obviously better than mine - although, now that you've identified the top left inscription, I suddenly have an 'of course' moment. I am inclined to think that the figure on the right is Saint Nonna, his mother. The only icons of him that I've ever seen that included a single other individual were those with her and one of Saint Gregory's healing of the deposed emperor Constantine.

Thanks also for the information about Cranach's painting. Although I know he did some metalwork and engravature, I've seen nothing to suggest that he did anything that we would consider in the style of an icon or that he is likely to have ever created oklad for any of his works. I did find though that the particular painting you referenced is apparently much copied as to content and style and I'm surmising that an iconographer copied it and subsequently applied oklad (the full obverse is shown below). The image was later removed, for whatever reason.

Many years,

Neil

YFVI4133.JPG