• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Identity and background of Eastern Catholics

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
I've heard of the alleged case of the raped nuns in which the sperm are seen as invaders so contraception's surprisingly allowed. I'm not sure that's the case but it's different of course from trying to use sex recreationally or shirking one of the obligations of Christian marriage.

Something is still objectively right even if next to nobody follows it. So it is with Catholic teaching on contraception, which used to be the teaching of all churches.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
I've heard of the alleged case of the raped nuns in which the sperm are seen as invaders so contraception's surprisingly allowed. I'm not sure that's the case but it's different of course from trying to use sex recreationally or shirking one of the obligations of Christian marriage.

Something is still objectively right even if next to nobody follows it. So it is with Catholic teaching on contraception, which used to be the teaching of all churches.
Sperm has always been invasive, from invasive species. Many women in marriages are raped. Women outside of marriage are raped. Virgins who are not nuns are raped. Whores are raped. Is birth control in these situations ok to protect the victims of everyday war against tyranny of man? This is not the first time in history that women, virgins, or consecrated bodies have been raped, conceived, bore the seed of the rapist, and suckled it on their breasts.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
If only the position embodied by the antics of Bp(?) Michel d'Herbigne did not undermine your point.
Not sure how the failed efforts of Bishop Michael to support and organize the tiny Russian Greek Catholic Church does that. The Russian Greek Catholic Church was and is no threat to the ROC unless existing is considered a threat.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Sperm has always been invasive, from invasive species. Many women in marriages are raped. Women outside of marriage are raped. Virgins who are not nuns are raped. Whores are raped. Is birth control in these situations ok to protect the victims of everyday war against tyranny of man? This is not the first time in history that women, virgins, or consecrated bodies have been raped, conceived, bore the seed of the rapist, and suckled it on their breasts.
Good thing men don't need contraception, since they never get raped or abused.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Not sure how the failed efforts of Bishop Michael to support and organize the tiny Russian Greek Catholic Church does that. The Russian Greek Catholic Church was and is no threat to the ROC unless existing is considered a threat.
Is heresy and schism ever a threat to the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church?

The imposition of the "New Rite" (i.e. one that conformed to actual Russian Orthodox usage), Latin bishops, mandated celibacy, submission of Met. Sheptytskyi...etc...etc...etc... a "Eastern Catholic Identity" was not on the agenda the Vatican was pushing.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
I've heard of the alleged case of the raped nuns in which the sperm are seen as invaders so contraception's surprisingly allowed. I'm not sure that's the case but it's different of course
not from the viewpoint of the conceived. But I would love to see the 'Natural Law" argument.
from trying to use sex recreationally[/]
you mean, "unitively" (to quote the Vatican).
or shirking one of the obligations of Christian marriage.
always interesting how the Vatican makes every joy an "obligation."

The VAST majority of those who use contraceptives have or will have children. I personally do not know any couple that does not. But I do know a few couples who cannot conceive-are they sinning?
Something is still objectively right even if next to nobody follows it.
true, but you have to wonder at celibate group being adamant on something not of their concern, while those concerned say (and do) otherwise. Especially when the former's arguments are specious counting of angels on a pin head.
So it is with Catholic teaching on contraception, which used to be the teaching of all churches.
So you claim, and yet cannot prove. Newman makes the point that Humanae Vitae blesses the one contraception method that ever Church Father that ventured an rigid opinion on the matter (and most were wise not to). Most believed sperm were little men already, sort of like sea monkeys. We know better.

btw, did the Corban factories "used to be the teaching of all Churches"? I notices that you didn't even touch that topic....

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Good thing men don't need contraception, since they never get raped or abused.
I know of a court case where the underage boy was raped by his baby sitter and then was in juvenal detention for failure to pay child support, although he, at under 16, could not legally work.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Abp Giorgio Demetrio Gallaro, secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
What is your point here Dominika? It is kind of like a naked link and I do not now why you posted it.
To show that usually Eastern Catholic make variousn ltirugical harrasment, small or bigger. And here it's quite new head of Cativan Congreation responsibel for Eastern Catholics. Those are photos, not naked links (if someboy doesn't see phoot, but naked link, please inform me).

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To show that usually Eastern Catholic make variousn ltirugical harrasment, small or bigger. And here it's quite new head of Cativan Congreation responsibel for Eastern Catholics. Those are photos, not naked links (if someboy doesn't see phoot, but naked link, please inform me).
Hi Dominka, I see the photo but I do not know what to look at. Is this a vestment issue? He doesn't smile.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
What is "ltirugical harrasment" (sic)? And..."usually...? What is the basis for that?

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
His smile is small but his heart is big. He is a friend and a more down to earth bishop you could not hope to meet.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
This here is also a classic:

IMG_20220227_185338_769(1).jpg

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Hi Dominka, I see the photo but I do not know what to look at. Is this a vestment issue? He doesn't smile.
1st photo way of wearing epitrachelion
2nd diesel trikirion
(at least for me, if you think those are ok, what to do to...)

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
What, are we now making overgeneralizations about Orthodoxy, Eastern Catholicism, or what-have-you on the basis of a couple of photographs of hierarchs not "smiling"? Seems pretty shallow to me, but....

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
2nd diesel trikirion
Looks like the little omophorion worn over a polystavrion.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Very serious question to full photo - who is this clergy man on the right? Subdeacon? As the way he wears orarion so strange some time ago had discussion about this and nobody couldn't figure out.... Because I know pope Johxn XXIII is wearing mix there: papal fanon and Byzantine sakkos among other stuff.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Very serious question to full photo - who is this clergy man on the right? Subdeacon? As the way he wears orarion so strange some time ago had discussion about this and nobody couldn't figure out.... Because I know pope Johxn XXIII is wearing mix there: papal fanon and Byzantine sakkos among other stuff.

That could be a cantor ( but I’m
Not sure) wearing some out of use/antiquarian fashions.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
2nd diesel trikirion
1. Small Omophorion not Epitrachelion
2. Oil not diesel.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction

Subdeacon, wearing the subdiaconal cincture, which is technically more correct because a council (Laodicea canon 22) forbade orarions to subdeacons.

Last edited:

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
^^ thank you. Do you have any text, material about this subdiaconal cinture? I've never heard about this, so it's very interesting...

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
^^ thank you. Do you have any text, material about this subdiaconal cinture? I've never heard about this, so it's very interesting...
At this point it is like the little phelonion, fallen out of use. The ordination rite (translated correctly) actually calls it a cincture not an orarion. When they stopped following the canons and using an orarion I don’t now.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
At this point it is like the little phelonion, fallen out of use. The ordination rite (translated correctly) actually calls it a cincture not an orarion. When they stopped following the canons and using an orarion I don’t now.
Well. little phelonion is used, e.g in Polish Orthodox Church, at ordinations for readers.

Out of curiosity I opened Arabic text for the oridnation of subdeacon, there is written "belt in shape of cross on his chest and on his back" (Al-Afhoulougi al-kabeer, p. 236)

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Well. little phelonion is used, e.g in Polish Orthodox Church, at ordinations for readers.

Out of curiosity I opened Arabic text for the oridnation of subdeacon, there is written "belt in shape of cross on his chest and on his back" (Al-Afhoulougi al-kabeer, p. 236)
We still use the little phelonion for ordinations too, but it is never worn afterwards.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
I would say millions of people worshipping Jesus Christ and working on their sanctification is an upside. Orthodox (or Latin) triumphalism is something that has no upside.
The upside of apostolic "triumphalism" is preaching the unity of the Church of Christ. A weird thing to hold to in times of pan-ecumenism for outsiders and factionalism against insiders, but it's still what we're meant to do as followers of Christ, his apostles and his Church Fathers.

If one is wrong about it, like we as Orthodox Christians believe Roman Catholic "triumphalists" are, at least they won't muddy the waters and, if they eventually convert to Orthodoxy, they won't have to unlearn indifferentism.

I'm not sending the heterodox to hell, I'm just a proud habitual sinner. I was well catechised into understanding the Church of Christ is visible though.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
The upside of apostolic "triumphalism" is preaching the unity of the Church of Christ. A weird thing to hold to in times of pan-ecumenism for outsiders and factionalism against insiders, but it's still what we're meant to do as followers of Christ, his apostles and his Church Fathers.

If one is wrong about it, like we as Orthodox Christians believe Roman Catholic "triumphalists" are, at least they won't muddy the waters and, if they eventually convert to Orthodoxy, they won't have to unlearn indifferentism.

I'm not sending the heterodox to hell, I'm just a proud habitual sinner. I was well catechised into understanding the Church of Christ is visible though.
Accept mainstream Orthodoxy doesn’t practice what it preaches so there is nothing to be triumphalist about as the recent episodes in Ukraine and Macedonia show. Churches going into and out communion and schism with one another is hardly the image of visible unity.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
13. The triumphant Church
The limits of the Church are not limited to people living on earth. In addition to the earthly Church overcoming evil, the militant Church, the Church of the Saved, there is also a triumphant, heavenly Church. It is one with our earthly one. The Most Holy Theotokos and the Ever-Virgin Mary, St. John the Baptist, the holy Apostles, prophets, martyrs, prelates, venerable, silverless and many other glorified and unglamorous saints belong to the Heavenly Church.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
You are confusing the Church Triumphant with triumphalism.