If God is good...

sprtslvr1973

High Elder
Reaction score
How do you usually answer the highly over-used, but still legitimate, question, that "if God is good, why do bad things happen?"
I could respond by referencing Genesis 3 (the Fall), and Man's rejection of God's love bringing mortality and suffering to the world; another passage may be John 9 as misfortune used as a medium for God's revelation.
I can't help think that these responses may be lacking, and therefore, I am open to suggestions.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if someone is going through a "bad situation", you respond by bearing with them their problems and comforting them.

But if someone is looking for an intellectual discussion, there really isn't any.  God is "good" by definition.  There is no point in believing in His existence if He is "not" good.  He is "good" by nature as we believe.  Therefore, if He is good, He allows us to partake of His goodness.  In so doing, He partook of our mortal nature, suffering and dying in it, that through these sufferings we may ascend spiritually into His goodness.  And if you are to concentrate all that is "good" according to man's definition of it, such as "good" career, "good" spouse, "good" house, "good" money and possessions, we learn that these are false "goods", not the true Good One Himself.  And that is why He became poor and suffered, that we may learn the real good is not in the world, but in God.  "Good people" do in fact suffer, and they come out refined like gold.

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
God is good and gives us free will. Bad things happen from our failings, but He wants us to overcome sin that causes our souls to suffer and live an eternal life with Him. The responses you listed are very true and not lacking, it is us who are lacking. If we view this temporal life as everything then sufferings will seem horrible to us, but if we truly believe in eternal life we will be happy to suffer for Him. I read that a saint visited an elder in a vision and told the elder if only she knew how amazing life with Christ is, she would of willingly suffered more.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
^That was my first thought.  It turned out differently.  :police:

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
After well over three years of intense trial, I can honestly say that God is BETTER than good.  In all things. 

I can honestly also say that our definition of 'bad' is not His definition of 'bad'. .. or evil.  He told us to look at the fruit to decide whether a tree is good or bad.  If it has good fruit, then it's good, if it has bad fruit (destroys the soul) then it's bad. 

So if my eyes 'behold' a bad tree with fruit that TASTES good, but it destroys my soul with lethargy - (I have everything I need, there is no lack - I don't have to worry about anything.) then I have a bad tree.

If my eyes 'see' a tree with good fruit that TASTES BAD, but it nourishes my soul and moves me closer to Him (I don't have everything I need, I am dealing with crisis - I have to rely on Him every single minute just to survive with my sanity intact and wow, this event sure does make me a little more compassionate and empathetic to my fellow man, and less judgmental and more patient, kind, loving, humble. . . etc.) I have a good tree.

We mix the truth in good and bad up.  As the scripture says, we call what is evil good and what is good evil.  (Isaiah 5:20)

What person from any part of this world would ever think to see things this way?  Honestly?  This is for those who look for true life.  Before this is ever understood Christ has to be placed first in humility.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
To add, being that we become branches of Christ, the more I bear good fruit in Christ, the more the Father will prune me.  Who am I to question His pruning?  I am one who knows nothing.  Therefore, I can not presume to understand Him who knows everything, but to put my trust in Him who "prevails when He is judged".