If Music Be The Food of Love - Play On

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
I'm sure I had an old thread on this but I can't find it, I have been looking for a while. Sorry for asking again a year or two later.

MUSIC! Omdz I just cannot put this one to bed.

How important is music in the Christian religion? I noticed when I attended DL that no hymns were sung like in a non Orthodox christian church. But so the DL is sung. In Islam we also use melody to recite Qur'an in prayer but outside of that no music is allowed as it is forbidden except for anashid.

So, music feels like it naturally springs up from us as people and together with creativity the possibilities are endless.

All of the anashid are so utterly dull and culturally irrelevant to me and I struggle not having music in my life, seriously I do. But is it that music should be for the worship of Allah (swt) and not just about random life expressions? I mean why is it wrong to simply express yourself in music or listen to others do that? I know it is influential but sometimes even the most seemingly negative music like even death metal (which I hate) is providing an expression for someone somewhere and helping to relax them. So how is that bad?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For a religion that prohibits secular music, Islamic countries surely have pop stars galore.

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
Arachne said:
For a religion that prohibits secular music, Islamic countries surely have pop stars galore.
I agree.
That's why we don't refer to them as Islamic countries but Muslim-majority countries.
Huge difference.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the Muslim majority not only tolerates but promotes Muslim pop stars, where is the forbidding line drawn?

Poppy

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.zsl.org
Arachne said:
If the Muslim majority not only tolerates but promotes Muslim pop stars, where is the forbidding line drawn?
It's haraam, no question about that. Just that I guess there are some more liberal 'muslims' in the world that maybe reason it differently in their minds. I can't judge their strength or weakness of their faith, only pray for them. For me though, I try to do the best I can at building up good deeds so, even though it's a struggle for me to understand, I don't listen since I reverted.