If Protestants are so iconoclastic...

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
"He isn't up there! This isn't the Catholic Church! They took him down! Now he's risen from the dead!"
I spent more time as a Protestant than as a Catholic-in fact, I was born into a Baptist home. And I would hear this all the time. Always wondered what they had against crucifixes.  :laugh: No Catholic believes that Christ is still on the cross. Well, there may be some fringe groups out there. But other than that...oy vey. "Get my Jesus off that cross!" That kind of emotionalism was so awkward to watch.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Yes, most Protestants I've heard of think it's okay to watch movies about the life of Christ, and I don't think they skip the Crucifixion. A crucifix is just a visible reminder of that moment in Our Lord's life.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Eastern Mind said:
"He isn't up there! This isn't the Catholic Church! They took him down! Now he's risen from the dead!"
I spent more time as a Protestant than as a Catholic-in fact, I was born into a Baptist home. And I would hear this all the time. Always wondered what they had against crucifixes.  :laugh: No Catholic believes that Christ is still on the cross. Well, there may be some fringe groups out there. But other than that...oy vey. "Get my Jesus off that cross!" That kind of emotionalism was so awkward to watch.
I've examined in my own circles that the aversion to an image of the crucified Christ also tends to have a lot to do with an aversion to an imitation of His death. Usually there have been complimentary comments such as: "He suffered so that we don't have to." "Why dwell on something so terrible that is finished?"

There is almost no notion of participating in the crucifixion ourselves, taking up our cross, dying to self, potential of martyrdom, etc. When we see the crucified Christ, we should see a king on his throne of glory. The gospels have an entire mocking coronation, procession to the throne room (Golgotha), and enthronement. The Jews wanted a military leader and a Davidic Warrior King. What they saw instead was total self-emptying prophet who was executed by his enemies.

The image of the crucified Christ is a great mystery to contemplate. It's so layered and meaningful. Those who scorn the image often scorn human suffering and have no notion of its salvific properties: "Jesus died to save us from religion; Jesus payed the price so we don't have to; Jesus fasted in the wilderness so that we don't have to; God wants us to have long lives and to be wealthy and prosperous, blah blah etc." I've heard it all many times.

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Eastern Mind said:
I've examined in my own circles that the aversion to an image of the crucified Christ also tends to have a lot to do with an aversion to an imitation of His death. Usually there have been complimentary comments such as: "He suffered so that we don't have to." "Why dwell on something so terrible that is finished?"

There is almost no notion of participating in the crucifixion ourselves, taking up our cross, dying to self, potential of martyrdom, etc. When we see the crucified Christ, we should see a king on his throne of glory. The gospels have an entire mocking coronation, procession to the throne room (Golgotha), and enthronement. The Jews wanted a military leader and a Davidic Warrior King. What they saw instead was total self-emptying prophet who was executed by his enemies.

The image of the crucified Christ is a great mystery to contemplate. It's so layered and meaningful. Those who scorn the image often scorn human suffering and have no notion of its salvific properties: "Jesus died to save us from religion; Jesus payed the price so we don't have to; Jesus fasted in the wilderness so that we don't have to; God wants us to have long lives and to be wealthy and prosperous, blah blah etc." I've heard it all many times.
"Jesus died so we don't have to" reminds me of penal substitution. Also; Jesus died to save us from religion? Wow. Just wow.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jesus didn't die so that we wouldn't have to die and suffer, but so that we could be Resurrected with Him after participating in that same pain and suffering in our lives which is our own participation in His Crucifixion.

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
"We preach Christ crucified." St. Paul said this. I can see this being a good rebuttal if someone shows disapproval of a crucifix :eek:)

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Eastern Mind said:
"Jesus died so we don't have to" reminds me of penal substitution. Also; Jesus died to save us from religion? Wow. Just wow.
Jesus did die so we don't have to - even in Orthodoxy.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
But we die daily in Christ (through his work) so we don't have to die eternally  :)

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Well, the Church I grew up in had a huge picture of Christ in the garden, front and center. The Church I was in most recently before coming to the Orthodox Church had a cross in the front with a crown of thorns and a robe hanging on it. We had many images of Christ in our home used educationally, decoratively and to a lesser degree inspirationally.  I own a copy of the Passion of the Christ, and I did and do treat Bibles reverentially, ie don't lay it on the floor. But yes, there was a difference between all that and the veneration we do now, and that difference was what we had to overcome on the way to being Orthodox.

Edit: Oh yeah, and we definitely looked up to martyrs ancient and modern like Jim Elliot who died, with 5 others in the Amazon bringing Christianity to the natives there.

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
Nephi said:
Eastern Mind said:
Jesus did die so we don't have to - even in Orthodoxy.
Yeah, that's true.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Care Baptist Church in Spartanburg [South Carolina] recently alerted local media to the appearance of Christ’s image on a wooden door in the sanctuary. The image includes the face of Jesus, with others reporting also glimpsing the Savior’s flowing robes.
Baptist historian Bill Leonard said openness to the possibility of “the mysterious” as expressed in such sightings is not unheard of in Protestant churches.

“Fundamentalists tend to avoid this kind of image-oriented religious experience, in part because they are suspicious of the claims of Catholics over the years,” said Leonard, professor of Baptist studies and church history at the Wake Forest University School of Divinity. For some theological conservatives such claims also smack of Pentecostalism, Leonard said.

But the charismatic movement has paved the way for some traditional Protestants to believe the Holy Spirit may move in unconventional ways, Leonard said.