• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

In Greece, Orthodox Church flouts COVID regulations

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
As a result, worshippers took their Holy Communion from the same spoon and all of them kissed the priest's hand.
It is awkward to do what is right for some people.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Or in other news: Even in Orthodox Greece...the government is not a friend of the Church.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Or in other news: Even in Orthodox Greece...the government is not a friend of the Church.
In Orthodox Greece, the government is the boss of the Church.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Let's let even more people get infected and die.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Faith
Convertodox
Jurisdiction
Netodoxy
You believe the Eucharist transmits disease.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.

I Corinthians 11:29,30

The Eucharist can transmit - or even cause- disease. We approach with fear and trembling for a reason. Covid isn't a special circumstance in this regard, it's a reminder.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The Eucharist can transmit - or even cause- disease.
I'll let Jesus know.

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.

60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
Gospel of John, chapter 6

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Yeah, because 2/3 of Europe didn't die in the Black Plague. Let's forget!

(Which implies, incidentally, that white folks such as myself are related to the survivors, who lived to have kids, and thus related *a lot more closely than we think.* -Shivers-)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
No one wrote that the Plague didn't cause a bottleneck in the gene pool.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Faith
Convertodox
Jurisdiction
Netodoxy
I'll let Jesus know.

Gospel of John, chapter 6
I believe you and I are on the same page for the most part. But you said specifically: "You believe the Eucharist transmits disease" as if it couldn't.

It can. It does. It is not a communication of exterior factors. The disease the Eucharist transmits isn't one of viruses or bacteria. But when we approach it in the wrong state it is deadly- a priest doesn't guard the Eucharist as if it were a pearl cast before swine, he guards us from approaching a consuming fire unworthily.

I'm not saying that Covid season is the time to return to purification laws and handwashing and wiping the outside of the cup. I am saying that this period is a good reminder to "look after yourself". The Eucharist is life eternal. But the Eucharist is a consuming fire. "I'll let Jesus know" but Jesus already let St Paul know. We (I) need to be wary, not because a microorganism exists, but because we (I) all too often approach the Cup as if the mere taking were enough. It's not "with masks and hand sanitizer and love of social distancing draw near" but "with fear and faith and love of God draw near". If we aren't following the latter, then yes: the Eucharist transmits disease.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
I believe you and I are on the same page for the most part. But you said specifically: "You believe the Eucharist transmits disease" as if it couldn't.
The Eucharist can't transmit disease without God consenting to it individually. So the so-called medical judgement on the way communion is distributed is in reality a spiritual one. A spiritual one that implies God will let people become sick for not following the measures of anti-human and anti-christian totalitarianism that locks people into their homes.

The true sign of piety, the true martyrdom according to Corona's witnesses, is refraining from the Eucharist or chirch services altogether. Contrary to the established witness of 2,000 years of church tradition. What a demonic delusion.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
+1

I see more people in line at Cosco to try out lobster ravioli on those tasting lines. Doesn't seem like they are to worried. I doubt Christ would let down someone that hungers for him. Its been over a year and I haven't heard of someone getting Covid from communion.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
If someone spreads Covid-19 in Church, it will be a long time before the person gets into the Eucharist line. Someone only has to show up and cough, sneeze, or breathe.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
If someone spreads Covid-19 in Church, it will be a long time before the person gets into the Eucharist line. Someone only has to show up and cough, sneeze, or breathe.
If it was that transmissible I think everyone would already have it. I don't believe the scientists even know how its transmitted exactly. I have witnessed personally, a person in a gathering I was in get it and nobody else was infected. Just one person and everyone was tested. Its a weird disease and the mechanism for transmission seems mysterious. Almost tactical in nature.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
I am still going to treat it as a very transmissible disease.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Living life in general is a risk. The moment one leaves there home there is never a guarantee one will return home. I live in New York and there are some numbers being thrown around that 40% of the population already had it. If this is the new normal and we are stuck with this virus, I think we need to live on as best as possible. Sure, I ware a mask and have worked out in the general population since this started. Slowly I think we are going to become braver and with some safety measures continue on. There is nothing else one can do. Life goes on. If you get it, o well. Its not the end of the world for most. Protecting our elderly population is key. I haven't seen my parents in a long time. Once there vaccinated I will.
But tomorrow there could be a variant, should we go back in the rabbit hole?
Get use to it, its not the only thing that could kill you.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic

It can. It does. It is not a communication of exterior factors. The disease the Eucharist transmits isn't one of viruses or bacteria. But when we approach it in the wrong state it is deadly- a priest doesn't guard the Eucharist as if it were a pearl cast before swine, he guards us from approaching a consuming fire unworthily.

I'm not saying that Covid season is the time to return to purification laws and handwashing and wiping the outside of the cup. I am saying that this period is a good reminder to "look after yourself". The Eucharist is life eternal. But the Eucharist is a consuming fire. "I'll let Jesus know" but Jesus already let St Paul know. We (I) need to be wary, not because a microorganism exists, but because we (I) all too often approach the Cup as if the mere taking were enough. It's not "with masks and hand sanitizer and love of social distancing draw near" but "with fear and faith and love of God draw near". If we aren't following the latter, then yes: the Eucharist transmits disease.
I feel like you’re missing your own nuance.

Addai Gaspar

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Archdiocese of Buenos Aires
maybe it's problematic to say "the Eucharist transmits disease", because it feels like you're saying that disease stems out from the Eucharist itself, and that the Eucharist itself is the one causing disease, and that we should all agree it's false, however i see no reason why a particle of disease from outside sources wouldn't be able to impregnate on the material of the Eucharist and infect another person through it. My Priest beautifily described the Eucharist as a "burning flame" and therefore it would burn any harmful particle that touches it, but i don't know, i've heard all sorts of arguments and i just can't buy it, maybe i'm weak of Faith but i really have a problem with claims like these that become almost scientific, it feels like it can be easily proven false by observable methods, and i don't like that.
moreover i want to believe anyone that knows to have been tested positive for Covid, would at least want to be the last in line. Right?

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
maybe it's problematic to say "the Eucharist transmits disease", because it feels like you're saying that disease stems out from the Eucharist itself, and that the Eucharist itself is the one causing disease, and that we should all agree it's false, however i see no reason why a particle of disease from outside sources wouldn't be able to impregnate on the material of the Eucharist and infect another person through it. My Priest beautifily described the Eucharist as a "burning flame" and therefore it would burn any harmful particle that touches it, but i don't know, i've heard all sorts of arguments and i just can't buy it, maybe i'm weak of Faith but i really have a problem with claims like these that become almost scientific, it feels like it can be easily proven false by observable methods, and i don't like that.
moreover i want to believe anyone that knows to have been tested positive for Covid, would at least want to be the last in line. Right?
I think you misunderstood. These biblical words are spiritual in nature. if one isn't spirituality ready it receive the eucharist, it can become damming to there soul.