• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

In love with a saint

Chrisn

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Denver
Has anyone ever fallen in love with a saint and if so how do you reconcile it? It seems like a silly question now that I've typed it but it's something that happened to me. I was raised Mormon but left the church, though I continued to believe in God and Jesus Christ. Through an interest in Russian history, I felt a profound draw to Olga Romanov and read about many accounts of miracles attributed to her and her family. Last February I was suffering a severe and potentially fatal health crisis. I prayed for help and took a shot in the dark, asking Olga to be my patron saint and help me. I got an answer within minutes and was healed that night. To keep a long story short, her sisters came into my life with many miraculous events and now I've taken all four of them as my patron saints and am a Catechumen in the Orthodox Church. I adore all four of those girls but the more I learn about Olga the more I find myself falling in love with her. Every time I see a picture of her it sends shockwaves through my soul. She was just an exemplary young woman and a fine example for anyone to find and I know I will likely never find anyone like her in this life. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen before?

tarms

Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
Western Diocese
By falling in love, do you mean romantic love? Or just deep admiration and affection? I, personally, have never experienced romantic love for a saint.

I've taken all four of them as my patron saints and am a Catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

You might consider speaking about this with your priest, if you haven't already. I'm sure he'll have some wise counsel.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
I know I will likely never find anyone like her in this life.
Life isn't a Hallmark or Lifetime movie. The likelihood of meeting a princess is quite low. There are literally tons of women walking this earth that you could meet and perhaps love one out of all the billions. Yet you are fixated on a saint of the Church in a non-spiritual manner. Has it happened before? I am sure of it. I've obsessively read a lot of threads here and I know there was some guy that was in love with one of the Romanov martyrs.

Irened

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
I have been assaulted with having those thoughts and feelings towards Saints, against my will, but I know they were from the enemy.

I know you didn't ask advice but maybe ask St. Olga to help you turn this misguided type of affection for her, (which I know you mean well but nonetheless it is inappropriate to feel that way), ask her to help you have the appropriate love and admiration for her instead and then maybe ask her intercession to lead you to a godly Orthodox young lady one day (if it's God's will you marry). A young lady that has similar qualities as St. Olga, if that's who God thinks is best for you that is.

And glory to God (and the Romanov family) for leading you to Orthodoxy!

Last edited:

Chrisn

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Denver
By falling in love, do you mean romantic love? Or just deep admiration and affection? I, personally, have never experienced romantic love for a saint.

Deep admiration and affection.

You might consider speaking about this with your priest, if you haven't already. I'm sure he'll have some wise counsel.

Chrisn

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Denver
Life isn't a Hallmark or Lifetime movie. The likelihood of meeting a princess is quite low. There are literally tons of women walking this earth that you could meet and perhaps love one out of all the billions. Yet you are fixated on a saint of the Church in a non-spiritual manner. Has it happened before? I am sure of it. I've obsessively read a lot of threads here and I know there was some guy that was in love with one of the Romanov martyrs.
It has not happened before but thanks for the advice.

Chrisn

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Denver
I have been assaulted with having those thoughts and feelings towards Saints, against my will, but I know they were from the enemy.

I know you didn't ask advice but maybe ask St. Olga to help you turn this misguided type of affection for her, (which I know you mean well but nonetheless it is inappropriate to feel that way), ask her to help you have the appropriate love and admiration for her instead and then maybe ask her intercession to lead you to a godly Orthodox young lady one day (if it's God's will you marry). A young lady that has similar qualities as St. Olga, if that's who God thinks is best for you that is.

And glory to God (and the Romanov family) for leading you to Orthodoxy!
I have asked her for this and it is admiration and for her so where do you perceive something inappropriate if I may ask? I'm genuinely curious to know.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
It has not happened before but thanks for the advice.
I believe he meant has it happened to other faithful before, not you specifically.

tarms

Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
Western Diocese
Deep admiration and affection.
If it’s a matter of deep affection and admiration, rather than potentially inappropriate feelings, I’m sure a great many of us can relate.

There are many Saints whose lives I find to be inspiring and touching. And of course I think many of us will feel special affection for the Theotokos. There’s an Armenian hymn sung in honour of the Theotokos during Holy Week, from the perspective of Our Lord, that I can’t hear without openly sobbing.

That said, it’s always a good idea to be on guard for potential spiritual delusion. Again, I kindly invite you to consider speaking to your priest on the matter.

Irened

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
I have asked her for this and it is admiration and for her so where do you perceive something inappropriate if I may ask? I'm genuinely curious to know.
I'm sorry if I misspoke, I think I misunderstood your situation. I don't understand what you mean when you say you are "falling in love" with her.

We can feel strong feelings for a Saint or the Theotokos, St. Paisios the Athonite said that when we feel this, it's actually the Lord we are being drawn to through them. But I have also read that we need to be careful not to let feelings become idolatrous either.

You make reference to not being able to likely find a young lady like St. Olga. That to me seems like this is a romantic type of feeling rather than a friendship type feeling and that is why I mentioned it seemed inappropriate. But only you really know what you mean by it.

I agree with the other person's advice. If you can, talk to an Orthodox priest about this. We need to be careful we don't fall into demonic delusion, feelings can be misleading and need to be discerned to make sure they don't lead to something unhealthy. When you say you feel shockwaves in your soul whenever you see her photo is concerning. I'm not trying to judge, by you did post and ask our opinion. We're just watching out for you. God bless.

Last edited:

Chrisn

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Denver
I'm sorry if I misspoke, I think I misunderstood your situation. I don't understand what you mean when you say you are "falling in love" with her.

We can feel strong feelings for a Saint or the Theotokos, St. Paisios the Athonite said that when we feel this, it's actually the Lord we are being drawn to through them. But I have also read that we need to be careful not to let feelings become idolatrous either.

You make reference to not being able to likely find a young lady like St. Olga. That to me seems like this is a romantic type of feeling rather than a friendship type feeling and that is why I mentioned it seemed inappropriate. But only you really know what you mean by it.

I agree with the other person's advice. If you can, talk to an Orthodox priest about this. We need to be careful we don't fall into demonic delusion, feelings can be misleading and need to be discerned to make sure they don't lead to something unhealthy. When you say you feel shockwaves in your soul whenever you see her photo is concerning. I'm not trying to judge, by you did post and ask our opinion. God bless.
These things are very hard to describe through mere words but it is the fact that I see God through her (and her sisters) because I never knew how to find Him or love Him otherwise. I related all this to my priest a long time ago (better than I probably have here) and he surprised me by how supportive he was.

Chrisn

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Denver
If it’s a matter of deep affection and admiration, rather than potentially inappropriate feelings, I’m sure a great many of us can relate.

There are many Saints whose lives I find to be inspiring and touching. And of course I think many of us will feel special affection for the Theotokos. There’s an Armenian hymn sung in honour of the Theotokos during Holy Week, from the perspective of Our Lord, that I can’t hear without openly sobbing.

That said, it’s always a good idea to be on guard for potential spiritual delusion. Again, I kindly invite you to consider speaking to your priest on the matter.
I've sobbed my eyes out over those girls and probably will more than once again. I did talk to my priest about this sometime ago and probably better than I can relate here and he was surprisingly supportive because it held me to God in a way that nothing else ever has.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
I've sobbed my eyes out over those girls and probably will more than once again. I did talk to my priest about this sometime ago and probably better than I can relate here and he was surprisingly supportive because it held me to God in a way that nothing else ever has.
Did you tell him
I find myself falling in love with her.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
But I have also read that we need to be careful not to let feelings become idolatrous either.
We need to be careful we don't fall into demonic delusion, feelings can be misleading and need to be discerned to make sure they don't lead to something unhealthy.
Agree

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
We can feel strong feelings for a Saint or the Theotokos, St. Paisios the Athonite said that when we feel this, it's actually the Lord we are being drawn to through them. We're just watching out for you. God bless.
THIS!

All the Holy Angels and Saints always point to Jesus Christ.
We venerate Saints in a chaste and humble way to implore the intercession of those who have gone ahead of us so that the end result is that our love and worship and adoration of our Lord Jesus Christ increases! They are spiritually taking us by the hand and drawing us to Christ.
Anything more may be misguided, delusional, pagan, earthly, idolatrous, or of the enemy of our souls-the liar.
Show your priest what you wrote here and seek his prayers and counsel on your behalf.

My personal opinion of what you wrote is that it is delusional and dangerous and inappropriate. But your priest knows you better. We all here are just getting bits and pieces and trying to fill in the rest. Please don’t be offended at our response to your question.
I wish you the best and may Jesus lead and protect you child of God!

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
To answer your question, you asked if anyone has fallen in love with a Saint…. I have not “fallen in love” in a romantic way but upon discovering Orthodox Church, I found I had a great and intense adoration for our Lady, Theotokos, Mother of us all. It was bordering on the side of error and my priest corrected me in stating that the Theotokos icon is often written with Christ in her arms and her one hand is waving towards Christ to say “ look here, adore and worship here the Savior!” So it has been a journey to remember this myself and to honor Theotokos by worshiping her Son, our Savior.
So I do not judge you as I have been corrected and guided by my priest.

Glory to God in His everlasting love for us and His great patience always! I worship Him! Thank You God for everything always!
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I think some people are simply highly sensitive and feel things easily and deeply. That’s not bad, but may need extra management because it’s easy to be affected by anything and everything, and it’s easy to get carried away. Extra personal vigilance is required, but deeply loving saints is not wrong.

Comparing them to potential life mates might be, though. On the one hand, we shouldn’t view saints that way or have any desire to “bottle them,” so to speak. The saints are bound to God; we can’t bind them to us. On the other hand, to hold even a pious member of the faithful to such a high standard is asking too much of a weak person and will lead to dissatisfaction on your part, which would poison the relationship.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
All feelings are "moody"; they come and go, they change, they are subject to forces not necessarily grounded in reality, they are susceptible to manipulation by powers we cannot see, let alone control.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
To answer your question, you asked if anyone has fallen in love with a Saint…. I have not “fallen in love” in a romantic way but upon discovering Orthodox Church, I found I had a great and intense adoration for our Lady, Theotokos, Mother of us all. It was bordering on the side of error and my priest corrected me in stating that the Theotokos icon is often written with Christ in her arms and her one hand is waving towards Christ to say “ look here, adore and worship here the Savior!” So it has been a journey to remember this myself and to honor Theotokos by worshiping her Son, our Savior.
So I do not judge you as I have been corrected and guided by my priest.

Glory to God in His everlasting love for us and His great patience always! I worship Him! Thank You God for everything always!
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!
Since I wrote this I have been thinking a lot about what I wrote and what this convert priest told me and if it is really possible to love our Theotokos too much? I do not pray to and venerate Most Holy Theotokos *instead* of Christ. I really love Our Mother. Since that priest told me that I sometimes pull back or feel fear of error when deeply venerating or praying to Our Mother. And I miss that closeness. The lives of the Saints and the writings of the church Fathers all point to deep devotion to Theotokos so his words confuse me. I think I have my answer there.

Irened

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
I used to call on the Theotokos exclusively and no one else a few years ago. But I realized I never thought of the Lord much. Eventually I stopped doing it so much.

I have read of some saints who were wholly devoted to her, St. Joseph the Hesychst was one, Elder Ephraim said his love for her was second to none. Also, if you read St. Gregory Palamas, his writings on the Theotokos are mind boggling, so he was another.

Maybe you can simply ask our Panagia to help you find a healthy balance of devotion so you can have peace of mind about it. She will help you get there. I pray she does too.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
I used to call on the Theotokos exclusively and no one else a few years ago. But I realized I never thought of the Lord much. Eventually I stopped doing it so much.

I have read of some saints who were wholly devoted to her, St. Joseph the Hesychst was one, Elder Ephraim said his love for her was second to none. Also, if you read St. Gregory Palamas, his writings on the Theotokos are mind boggling, so he was another.

Maybe you can simply ask our Panagia to help you find a healthy balance of devotion so you can have peace of mind about it. She will help you get there. I pray she does too.
Thank you for listing these Saints for me! Greatly appreciate it! I will do as you say and bring this whole thing up to Our Mother and leave all in her care. The thing is, my veneration for Theotokos is directly in line of my worship of Christ- our Savior. Our Panagia brings me closer to Christ though I am unworthy. It is precisely through her intercession that I find great joy and peace in approaching her Son, Our Savior. So it’s beautiful. Thank you!

Irened

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
That's awesome!