Incense

Reaction score
Hi all i just wanted to ask is it ok to burn incense after sundown,  this is what i have been taught!!!!!

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are plenty of church services that take place after sundown, with plentiful incense. :) Burn it when you feel the need to, and don't worry.

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
pinkbutterfly79 said:
Hi all i just wanted to ask is it ok to burn incense after sundown,  this is what i have been taught!!!!!
Welcome to the board. I am curious as to what the pretext is to this question? There must be some interesting context to this question.

Reaction score
To Armithea,  i was just curious cause all my life my mom or grandma would always incense the house but always before the sunset, and i see other people doing it but always before the sun sets,  i was brought up with the knowledge that you don't incense after the sunset, but now that i am learning more about Orthodoxy just felt like asking the question. . .

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I tend to associate incense with the evening because of this verse:

"Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." (Ps. 141:2)

I know this is not talking about literal incense, but I just think of these things together because of this verse.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I was able to burn incense at will when I had my man cave in the garage.  Now that I have moved and no longer have a garage, I am unable to burn incense.  It sets off the fire alarm. :-[

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm lucky the fire alarm is downstairs, while the icon corner is upstairs. The sensor is ridiculously sensitive. :-\

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Arachne said:
I'm lucky the fire alarm is downstairs, while the icon corner is upstairs. The sensor is ridiculously sensitive. :-\
So you're saying that the sensor is sensitive to the incense from your censer?
:)

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Antonis said:
I haven't put it to the test, but considering its reaction to grilling sausages, it would go absolutely berserk. ;)

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
pinkbutterfly79 said:
To Armithea,  i was just curious cause all my life my mom or grandma would always incense the house but always before the sunset, and i see other people doing it but always before the sun sets,  i was brought up with the knowledge that you don't incense after the sunset, but now that i am learning more about Orthodoxy just felt like asking the question. . .
This is very common in many Orthodox countries, for pious people to offer incense one or a couple times a day, blessing each room and person in the house with it. Like having icons in the house, it sanctifies the place.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Antonis said:
I haven't put it to the test, but considering its reaction to grilling sausages, it would go absolutely berserk. ;)
Your smoke alarm must be a vegan low church Protestant.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
Arachne said:
Antonis said:
Your smoke alarm must be a vegan low church Protestant.
On the vegan low church Protestants and their hellish smoke alarms...

ANATHEMA!

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, burn it whenever you want.  Burn a lot, as they say it chokes the demons! 

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
I was able to burn incense at will when I had my man cave in the garage.  Now that I have moved and no longer have a garage, I am unable to burn incense.  It sets off the fire alarm. :-[
Yeah, I should really put the fire alarms back up. 

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Antonis said:
Arachne said:
Our smoke alarm trips whenever there is a large solar flare or X-flare. Even C-flares from the sun have tripped the sensor and we hear bleeps from the hallway censor. Does anyone else have a smoke alarm that is sensitive to solar flares and X-flares? During this time of never ceasing sunspots, we are often awaken in the wee hours of the mornings. Wish there were some way to disconnect that thing, but that would be illegal.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Fr.Aidan said:
Key to whether the alarm goes off, is the size of the particulates. It doesn't follow, from smoking sausages making it go off, that a home censer would have the same result.

So I've been told.
Why?  It's still smoke.  

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Irini said:
Fr.Aidan said:
Key to whether the alarm goes off, is the size of the particulates. It doesn't follow, from smoking sausages making it go off, that a home censer would have the same result.

So I've been told.
Why?  It's still smoke.  
but it is HOLY smoke.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Maria said:
Antonis said:
Arachne said:
Our smoke alarm trips whenever there is a large solar flare or X-flare. Even C-flares from the sun have tripped the sensor and we hear bleeps from the hallway censor. Does anyone else have a smoke alarm that is sensitive to solar flares and X-flares? During this time of never ceasing sunspots, we are often awaken in the wee mornings. Wish there were some way to disconnect that thing, but that would be illegal.

I haven't heard of that before, but it is a sort of nuisance tripping.  You might try changing them out.  

I don't know that it is illegal, but it is against the fire code, and home insurers probably won't pay on a fire in a building with no FAs installed.

Okay, you're right.  I'll go put them up right now, or at least one of them in the main area.  

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Maria said:
Irini said:
Fr.Aidan said:

So I've been told.
Why?  It's still smoke.  
but it is HOLY smoke.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Maria, unless you are having trouble with other electronic devices in your home, the fire alarm nuisance tripping is likely not caused by solar flares.  You may have brown outs in your area too, depending on the electrical grid demand. 

The batteries could be low, the fire alarm device could be worn out, or dirty, or even if it is as you say, from solar flares, they may be damaged.

Here from the Fire Marshal:

Smoke Alarm Facts

How effective are smoke alarms?

Residential fire deaths have decreased steadily as the number of homes with smoke alarms increased. Reports from the National Fire Protection Association show that people have nearly a 50 percent better chance of surviving a fire if their home has the recommended number of smoke alarms.

When do I need to replace my smoke alarm?

Smoke alarms that are 10 years old are near the end of their service life and should be replaced. Some people think that their smoke alarm sits idle until smoke is present. But it is working every minute, constantly monitoring the air 24 hours a day. For example, an ionization smoke alarm goes through 3.5 million monitoring cycles in 10 years. In a photoelectric smoke alarm, a light operates 24 hours a day to check for smoke particles in the air.

Just like any electrical appliance, the components of smoke alarms wear out over time. When a smoke alarm reaches 10 years of use, the potential of failing to detect a fire increases substantially. Replacing them after 10 years reduces the likelihood of failure.

My smoke alarms are wired into my electrical system. Do I need to replace them as often as battery-operated alarms?

Yes. Both the hard-wired and battery-operated alarms are equally affected by age.

http://firemarshals.org/rfsi/smokealarmfacts.html