• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Intentional Orthodox communities in the U.S?

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I know there is one in Alaska, does anyone else know of any other ones across the U.S/North America?

Ariend

Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.assemblyofbishops.org
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese of North America
What community is in Alaska? I know that the town of Nikolaevsk in Alaska is an Old Ritualist Orthodox community, but that is all I know

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
What do you mean by "intentional"?

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
What community is in Alaska? I know that the town of Nikolaevsk in Alaska is an Old Ritualist Orthodox community, but that is all I know
It's in Eagle River and is associated with the Antiochian parish there

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Are we talking agrarian living? Or just, “Let’s move here and start a parish”?

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Are we talking agrarian living? Or just, “Let’s move here and start a parish”?
From what I know of the community in Alaska, it isn't agrarian living or starting a parish. It is just people forming an Orthodox community around an already established Orthodox parish or monastery. It doesn't seem to be the Orthodox version of Amish.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
It's a community of lay people that is intentionally built around an Orthodox parish or monastery
I would say the beginning of any parish is intentional. Whether the community survives or not is up to the people.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
I believe a number of people have formed a community around Holy Cross Monastery in Wayne, WV (ROCOR).

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I know people who are up in Alaska and know of St. John's, the article you linked would explain why that parish doesn't ever have converts, from what I have been told
It's also located not in Anchorage, where there's a lot of people, and not in Wasilla, where a lot of commuters into Anchorage live. There are parishes in both those areas, so that may have something to do with it as well.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
It's also located not in Anchorage, where there's a lot of people, and not in Wasilla, where a lot of commuters into Anchorage live. There are parishes in both those areas, so that may have something to do with it as well.
The people I know are in that area and are very familiar with St. John's, though they go to different parish. They and others who live in Eagle River go out of their way to not go to St. John's. Distance from Anchorage or Wasilla has nothing to do with it. I thought about moving there to be a part of that community but after talking with them and doing some digging on my own, there is no way I want to be a part of that community. St. Herman's or St. Juvenaly in Wasilla, sure, but, not St. John's

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe it's just as well, though.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
In general, people have moved to be near monasteries. This is a custom of long standing. There was an intentional Russian Orthodox community in northern Illinois, Vladimirovo. The church bought the land and built a church on it and allowed parishioners to build cottages on the land. I presume they paid rent to the church, and in turn the property was tax-free. Nowadays, no one lives there year-round, but back in the day, when they were poor refugees, people lived there permanently.