• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Interesting baptism by Patriarch Ilya of Georgia

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
A friend of mine posted this on facebook asking if this was normal practice in the Orthodox church.  I told him no but maybe it was a peculiarity of the Georgian church.  What concerns me is that these children are not being fully immersed.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFGHerqhSC8
Story: http://www.euronews.com/2017/01/19/mass-baptism-in-georgia-is-enough-to-make-your-head-spin

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
first of all.

The baptizer is -not- the Patriarch....

he looks like

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/catholicos-patriarch-ilia-ii-of-georgia-saint-anthimos-of-iberia-demonstrated-that-ministry-to-god-prevails-over-all/

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
It's peculiar, that's for sure.  I don't like it.  Holy Baptism is not a game.
I don't like for a different reason.  Too much movement for the infants, especially for their brains.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
rakovsky said:
I don't kno w why he would do it that way. Maybe he thinks the water won't go down the lungs if he doesn't do full immersion.
Exactly what a bishop told me when I posted that on Facebook.
Even if he were going to use this "technique", he still didn't have to do it so rapid fire and jerk the kids around like that.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
There are other techniques to minimize the risk without the acrobatics

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
RaphaCam said:
rakovsky said:
I don't kno w why he would do it that way. Maybe he thinks the water won't go down the lungs if he doesn't do full immersion.
It's a real downer that kids, even in extremely rare cases, drown from brief baptism.

I am not approving of this head&bottom dunking, but there's real issues.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
It's peculiar, that's for sure.  I don't like it.  Holy Baptism is not a game.
I don't like for a different reason.  Too much movement for the infants, especially for their brains.
Good point.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
RaphaCam said:
rakovsky said:
It's a real downer that kids, even in extremely rare cases, drown from brief baptism.

One way is to hold the baby upright, with his back facing the priest's face, with the baby angled to face the water, but the feet still go in first.  Give the baby time inbetween dunks to breathe and if necessary spit the water out with that same angle, but the dunking must be quick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2VVN3Eci3Yo

Then if you also want to play it safe, just go neck deep and take the rest of the water with your hand showering the baby, and do that three times.

I also like this technique as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvctF4BCF4

truthseeker32

High Elder
Reaction score
Might as well pour the water. It would have gotten more on the infant.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
rakovsky said:
RaphaCam said:
rakovsky said:

I know of only one case where this happened, in Moldova, and the priest was arrested for gross negligence.  The priest apparently held the child under the water!!!