• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Internet posting and anger

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
Sr Vassa's Daily Reflection post today (Saturday, September 10, 2016) would be good reading for us all. I hope she will forgive me for reposting it here.

“You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to the hell of fire. So if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.” (Mt 5: 21-24)

Do comments made online, in the exchanges we have in blogs, under YouTube-videos, and various social media “count”? How about comments made about celebrities or politicians, this election-year? I’m wondering about this, as I prepare to go to Divine Liturgy.

And I’m thinking – Let me take down a notch any anger or “passion” I may tend to justify, when talking or writing about divisive issues. It hinders my usefulness to others, to any “cause” I choose to serve, and makes me incapable of “offering” to God. “Let us love one another, that with oneness of mind we may confess: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Trinity, one in essence and undivided.”

http://www.coffeewithsistervassa.com/single-post/2016/09/10/EVERY-ONE-WHO-IS-ANGRY

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Funny that should come up... Last night I was going through some old episodes of Be the Bee on YouTube, and in the comments for one of them someone accused Steven Christoforou of using the Church as a front for his business (of selling mugs ::) ). Sr. Vassa came on and really ripped that guy a new one, without even stepping over civility lines. It can be done.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I think the Be the Bee program is a little cheesy (although there are some episodes that are really good for being what they are: concise bits of info), but to accuse Steven for that is stupid.  Accuse him for poor clothing combination, but not that.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I prefer to watch Be the Bee on YouTube, rather than its AFR page, precisely for the comments section. It is refreshing how free it is from the drama that makes YT comments so infamous. Steven replies to most comments, but refuses to be baited by trolls, and the regulars follow suit. The longest that I've seen a militant atheist last trying (and failing) to get a rise out of people was three episodes.

The Orthodox Lunatic, on the other hand... is a good place for those who enjoy riling up Protestants. :)

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Well stated. Sr. Vassa is one of my favorites

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
?
I'd say it counts, but I'm the worst at it.
Anyhow, this be the bee thing is supposed to be for young fellows, following the youtube trend to be vloggers or something. So it's understandable that the host expresses himself in that fashion and looks like some hipster.
I've never seem much from the OrthodoxLunatic, but I remember seeing a video saying how he really hates protestantism and I really like when people are toxic about it.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Like getting upset then thinking its somebody's personal amusement? ...

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Yes I think it counts, because our words, written or spoken, are a reflection of our heart, which we are working on making pure and right before God.  So even if respond calmly, if my emotions are inflamed, I don't count my response as anything other than damage mitigation.  There was still sin, and though I kept it from directly affecting the other person, I don't deserve a pat on the back.  But that's just me.  /shrug