• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Introduction thread for new and old members

Georgii

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROCOR, German episcopate
littlepilgrim64 said:
Occupation: Medical transcriptionist (yes, some of us still exist . . . LOL)
Yeah, we do show our age. My favorite great aunt (Lord grant her Your Heavenly Kingdom) was a court reporter, and while there was still a Cold War I did something for the US Department of Defense that was called "transcription" -- my part in trying to figure out what those darned Rooskies were up to and to keep them from taking over the world  ???.

But now I pray for the salvation of those killed in the fratricidal strife in the Ukrainian Lands (an interesting way to dodge the question of whether to put the "the" in Ukraine).

And all of my paternal relatives are Southerners transplanted to the North, so I can kind of see where you, littlepilgrim, are coming from in that way, too.

Hīlhētes

Reaction score
Been lurking around here on and off, but I'm finally ready to post.  ;D 

My name is Eric.  I'm turning 24 in December, and I was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario.  I'm currently in college studying Broadcasting & Film, and I'm starting an internship for school next week. 

I was raised in an Evangelical household, but I became disillusioned with Christianity a few years ago, and almost became agnostic.  Then, in 2011, one of my best friends took me to his church and introduced me to Orthodoxy, and in Summer 2013 I decided that it was the truth.  I still need to be become a catechumen, though, lol.

My hobbies and interests include hiking, biking, writing, film, history, linguistics, and geopolitics.  :)

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Welcome to the Forum, Hīlhētes!!!!

Zois

Reaction score
Hello! :)
I'm Zois (Ζώης). I'm 16 years old and from Greece, but unfortunately I live in Germany.

If you have any questions, you are allowed to ask. ;) :D

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Zois said:
Hello! :)
I'm Zois (Ζώης). I'm 16 years old and from Greece, but unfortunately I live in Germany.

If you have any questions, you are allowed to ask. ;) :D
Hello, good to see you on the board.  :)

NanaDeborah

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I wish I had seen this sooner!  I am probably older than most of you here.  I am married with two grown children and 10 grandchildren ages 7 months to 14 years, so do the math.  Hence the "Nana" part.

I am currently employed in the district office of our local US Congressman, but not so interested in politics any more.  I am involved with constituent services (you would not believe the stuff people call their Congressman about.  I should write a book.)

I love to sew and quilt, and when I get breaks from work, I like to cook.  Planning to retire next year, take some photography classes and travel to see the natural wonders of the USA, taking thousands of pictures.

I am a serious lifelong introvert who is trying to learn to more adequately and eloquently express myself, so please forgive my often rambling posts.  My mind needs to learn discipline so I am sure you will help me stay on task here.

My husband is retired military, so we had an opportunity to live abroad for a few years, in Greece, New Zealand, and Japan.

I don't have much Orthodox experience, but a lot of life experience, so come on over, have some milk and cookies, and let's talk.

Zois

Reaction score
NanaDeborah said:
I wish I had seen this sooner!  I am probably older than most of you here.  I am married with two grown children and 10 grandchildren ages 7 months to 14 years, so do the math.  Hence the "Nana" part.

I am currently employed in the district office of our local US Congressman, but not so interested in politics any more.  I am involved with constituent services (you would not believe the stuff people call their Congressman about.  I should write a book.)

I love to sew and quilt, and when I get breaks from work, I like to cook.  Planning to retire next year, take some photography classes and travel to see the natural wonders of the USA, taking thousands of pictures.

I am a serious lifelong introvert who is trying to learn to more adequately and eloquently express myself, so please forgive my often rambling posts.  My mind needs to learn discipline so I am sure you will help me stay on task here.

My husband is retired military, so we had an opportunity to live abroad for a few years, in Greece, New Zealand, and Japan.

I don't have much Orthodox experience, but a lot of life experience, so come on over, have some milk and cookies, and let's talk.
Welcome, NanaDeborah!
I have one question, because your life seems to be very satisfying and nice and, even if I am just 16 years old, I think it is be great to be married and have a wonderful and harmonic life with my family, and to have a successful career, which must not bring be too much money, but enough to feed my family. I still go to school and I don't plan to marry in the next future, but still, my question is: Are you happy with your life? Because you really seem to have lots of life experience, a happy family and a successful career and that's what I am aiming for.

sakura95

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox seeker
Jurisdiction
Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
Ermm....Hi (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄  I have been posting here for quite some time.

I am a Malaysian Chinese as some of you would know. Currently, I'm studying Business with Economics in the UK with hopes of pursuing a masters in Behavioral Economics, hopefully anyway. Generally, I'm a particularly shy person so while I might be quite 'vocal' here, I would be more quiet and introverted in real life. I also have an odd thing for looking feminine for some unknown reason.

My religious background is an odd mix of Buddhism, Protestantism and Catholicism and now I'm Orthodox....at least in belief which is better than nothing  ;)

As for my interests, I love philosophy(I hope to be able to somehow pursue a degree in it), Behavioral Economics, Theology, Manga, Adventure Time, Anime, girls and emotional music, particularly those that are poetic and tell a story. I also do sketches sometimes during my free time, mostly based on real people such as singers and girls I know...at least those attractive based on my POV.

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
Hello,
I am 38, married with four children. Converted from Roman Catholicism to Orthodoxy in 2001.

By day I am an accountant, by night I am a distance-learning seminarian at St. Sophia Ukrainian Orthodox Seminary.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Twenty Nine said:
Hello,
I am 38, married with four children. Converted from Roman Catholicism to Orthodoxy in 2001.

By day I am an accountant, by night I am a distance-learning seminarian at St. Sophia Ukrainian Orthodox Seminary.
I thought you were 29.

[/lamejoke]

Inquirer

Elder
Reaction score
Hello. I was raised as a Hanukkah/Passover Jew (the equivalent of Easter/Christmas Christians), functionally atheist. Had an epiphany when I was 17 and was baptized in a Roman Catholic Church. I have a B.A. in theology. Got married when I was 22, currently have one child. I moved to a rural area about a year ago and couldn't find a single Tridentine-rite Mass or sufferable Novus Ordo parish within an hour of my new house, so I go to a Ruthenian parish. Since about a month before the Synod on the Family in Rome convened I have been strongly considering converting to Orthodoxy.

I love tacos and naps. Not a very exciting person unfortunately.

I want to remain anonymous so no photo/real name. But if you're curious, I look exactly like Gendo from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Wow, I didn't know this post existed. :)

My name is BethAnna.  I've been here since 2010.  I have three grown children and five (one is on the way) grandchildren.  I have a german shepherd (mine) named Jess and two cats (hubby's) named Roadie and Petra.

I live in a big old house built in 1857 that's been in my husband's family for four generations.  Some times I squawk about it, but I'm squawking less now that I can do the laundry without an umbrella.

I am Orthodox (convert).

I love to learn, write and sculpt.  Haven't done the sculpting in a while, but once my husband is back on his feet I will get back to my pottery classes and start carving reliefs into the pottery.

Fav subjects of study: History, MicroBiology, NeuroBiology (specifically the brain) and Sociology.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
i am glad your leak is fixed.
(if i understand you right).

i hope you have also sorted your bug problem.

it british english, a buggy (plural - buggies) is a type of plastic basket on wheels
that you put your baby or small kid in to avoid carrying it all the time.

so when i saw your post in the prayer thread, i had images of parents running manically around
with their small kids on wheels, accidently causing you all kinds of random distress!

i suppose that would have been easier to sort out though, i posted it in case it gave you a laugh
;)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
mabsoota said:

it british english, a buggy (plural - buggies) is a type of plastic basket on wheels

so when i saw your post in the prayer thread, i had images of parents running manically around
with their small kids on wheels, accidently causing you all kinds of random distress!

i suppose that would have been easier to sort out though, i posted it in case it gave you a laugh
;)
I had visions of Amish buggies careening around. I decided not to post that in a prayer thread though. lol

NanaDeborah

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Welcome, NanaDeborah!
I have one question, because your life seems to be very satisfying and nice and, even if I am just 16 years old, I think it is be great to be married and have a wonderful and harmonic life with my family, and to have a successful career, which must not bring be too much money, but enough to feed my family. I still go to school and I don't plan to marry in the next future, but still, my question is: Are you happy with your life? Because you really seem to have lots of life experience, a happy family and a successful career and that's what I am aiming for.
Thank you so much for this question.  I have been thinking about how to answer.  I don't want to hijack this thread so I will start a new one.  I guess in "Other" since it does not seem to fit anywhere else, and if it is not the right place then I guess they will move it. 

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
TheTrisagion said:
mabsoota said:

;)
I had visions of Amish buggies careening around. I decided not to post that in a prayer thread though. lol
Me too!!!  Because of a large Amish population, horse-and-buggies are a very common sight around here.  There are even a few buggy shops where they repair buggies.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
In my family, we also use "baby buggies" in the sense that Mabsoota mentioned.

The rather small English side of my ancestry, however, came to America about 150 years ago, so I don't know if it came over with the immigration or if it is also something we also generally say in America.

NanaDeborah

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
In my family, we also use "baby buggies" in the sense that Mabsoota mentioned.

The rather small English side of my ancestry, however, came to America about 150 years ago, so I don't know if it came over with the immigration or if it is also something we also generally say in America.
We always said "baby buggies" but in New Zealand (quite British) they call them "prams."

Regnare

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
I might as well join the group of people who didn't even know this was a thread somewhere. I'm a Canadian university student, studying political theory and the history of Christianity and some other things. My main hobby is amassing trivial knowledge.

I was a relatively recent convert to Roman Catholicism from the United Church of Canada (a liberal mainline denomination which united all of Canada's Congregationalists and Methodists, plus some of its Presbyterians, in the 1920s). Then I wondered to myself, "How is it that the Orthodox stayed so close to the Catholic faith when all of the other groups that broke off became so different?" So I did some research and I found out the answer, and then spent a year trying to prove that answer wrong, and then became a catechumen in the OCA (as you might imagine, the answer turned out to be that Rome broke off from Orthodoxy).

Terry2

Reaction score
Hi, my registration finally got authorized today.  Just wanted to into myself and say hello.  I'm in the process of converting to the Orthodox faith and wanted to fellowship with other brothers and sisters here. 

I'm still getting used to this Simple Machines format, so please forgive me if I screw something up.  :laugh:

Antonios

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christianity
Greeting Terry!  It is good to have you here!   :)

Terry2

Reaction score
Antonios said:
Greeting Terry!  It is good to have you here!   :)
Thanks Antonios!  Good to be here.  Hope to learn a lot from some of the elders here.  Thanks brother!  :)

ays

Reaction score
I did not see this thread...

Anyway, my name is Bogdan (Богдан) and I am from Belgrade, Serbia (born and raised). I have beautiful and very wise fiancee that I will be, God willing, married to soon. I am blessed and very fortunate to have a person like her in my life.
I have a M.Sc in Software Engineering and have been working as a programmer/developer for 7 years now.

I was chrismated at the early age in Orthodox Church of Vladimir Nevsky in Belgrade, even tho I was born while the country was called Yugoslavia and was ruled by communist party. If anyone is interested, this is the church:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/HramSvetogAleksandraNevskog.jpg.

Its in the area of Belgrade where I grew up. :)

Georgii

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROCOR, German episcopate
ays said:
my name is Bogdan (Богдан)
Welcome, Bogdan! That is a beautiful church.

You having a wise finacee and, God willing, she also being your wife is a great blessing.

My wife is just old enough to have been an Young Communist in the former Soviet Union at that time, but she has repented since then. I also took part in the Cold War on the Western side, though I cannot say that we always did the right thing, either. God bless!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
ays said:
I did not see this thread...

Anyway, my name is Bogdan (Богдан) and I am from Belgrade, Serbia (born and raised). I have beautiful and very wise fiancee that I will be, God willing, married to soon. I am blessed and very fortunate to have a person like her in my life.
I have a M.Sc in Software Engineering and have been working as a programmer/developer for 7 years now.

I was chrismated at the early age in Orthodox Church of Vladimir Nevsky in Belgrade, even tho I was born while the country was called Yugoslavia and was ruled by communist party. If anyone is interested, this is the church:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/HramSvetogAleksandraNevskog.jpg.

Its in the area of Belgrade where I grew up. :)
How nice to see more Serbs on the forum! :)
The church of Aleksandar Nevski is the favourite Belgrade church of my aunt (living in the Belgrade suburbs) :)

ays

Reaction score
Dominika said:
How nice to see more Serbs on the forum! :)
The church of Aleksandar Nevski is the favourite Belgrade church of my aunt (living in the Belgrade suburbs) :)
Awesome mate, awesome!

and I just realised that I wrote, for a reason completely unknown to me, "Vladimir Nevsky" instead of "Alexander Nevsky"... I need a vacation! :D

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
not all ze slavs is called 'vladmir'?

eez outrage!

;)

Greg

Reaction score
Registration was approved of today. I am 25 years old and a catechumen at the Greek Orthodox parish in my town; I am coming over from the Southern Baptist/non-denomiational Evangelical camp.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
welcome!
you will find the most helpful advice in the convert issues forum, as the moderation is more thorough there.
:)

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Didyma.  My username is a reference to the fact that I'm a twin.  I'm currently 20 years old and am a sophomore in college.  I live in the southern United States.  My major is Linguistics with a focus in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (T.E.S.O.L.).  I haven't decided my minor yet.  I have many interests, including foreign affairs, art, storytelling, and learning languages.  I used to love reading books, too, but everything changed when I started to get a bunch of assigned reading for school. :( My original brand of Christianity was United Methodism. 

Also, I am learning Japanese in order to become a missionary in Japan, so if you know Japanese you can PM me in said language.  However, I am only about toddler level at the moment -- I'm about to take the N5 level of the J.L.P.T. in December.

Welcome, all!

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
welcome!
don't worry about the reading, i found i couldn't read for pleasure (except the Bible) while i was studying,
but the feeling came back a few years later and now i can read a lot.
since i started to learn about orthodox Christianity about 9 years ago, i have been mainly reading about that,
coz it's the most fun thing to read!

do you have contacts with the russian orthodox church in japan?
there are some native japanese who go to their 2 churches,
and there is also a coptic orthodox church as well. they also have japanese people there, according to internet photos.

sadly, when i was there 6 years ago, i was traveling with people who were not orthodox,
and i also wasn't in the right places at the right time.
we did visit a nice protestant church, though, and the visiting canadian speaker preached in fluent japanese.
i don't know what he said, but our friend said it was interesting!

we learnt about 14 useful phrases (mostly about food) and i learnt to read 3 of the letters (that's about 0.1%!)
o yasumi na sai
(which i think means goodnight!)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Greg said:
Registration was approved of today. I am 25 years old and a catechumen at the Greek Orthodox parish in my town; I am coming over from the Southern Baptist/non-denomiational Evangelical camp.
Hello and welcome.

Greg

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome.

I thought there were more than two Orthodox churches over in Japan?

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
mabsoota said:
welcome!
don't worry about the reading, i found i couldn't read for pleasure (except the Bible) while i was studying,
but the feeling came back a few years later and now i can read a lot.
since i started to learn about orthodox Christianity about 9 years ago, i have been mainly reading about that,
coz it's the most fun thing to read!

do you have contacts with the russian orthodox church in japan?
there are some native japanese who go to their 2 churches,
and there is also a coptic orthodox church as well. they also have japanese people there, according to internet photos.

sadly, when i was there 6 years ago, i was traveling with people who were not orthodox,
and i also wasn't in the right places at the right time.
we did visit a nice protestant church, though, and the visiting canadian speaker preached in fluent japanese.
i don't know what he said, but our friend said it was interesting!

we learnt about 14 useful phrases (mostly about food) and i learnt to read 3 of the letters (that's about 0.1%!)
o yasumi na sai
(which i think means goodnight!)
Really?  I hope my desire to read for fun comes back after I leave school.  I feel kind of bummed about it, but I don't have a lot of time what with all the studying.  I don't have any church contacts in Japan.  I'll get to translating their site page after I"m done studying for the JLPT, and maybe I can find the email of a priest near Niigata (where I'll be going, God willing, this summer).  I'm pretty sure there's more than two churches, though!  The Church of Japan (autonomous) has about 45 churches and missions according to the Orthodox Wiki page: http://orthodoxwiki.org/List_of_parishes_in_Japan

KostaC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Didyma said:
Hi, I'm Didyma.  My username is a reference to the fact that I'm a twin.  I'm currently 20 years old and am a sophomore in college.  I live in the southern United States.  My major is Linguistics with a focus in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (T.E.S.O.L.).  I haven't decided my minor yet.  I have many interests, including foreign affairs, art, storytelling, and learning languages.  I used to love reading books, too, but everything changed when I started to get a bunch of assigned reading for school. :( My original brand of Christianity was United Methodism. 

Also, I am learning Japanese in order to become a missionary in Japan, so if you know Japanese you can PM me in said language.  However, I am only about toddler level at the moment -- I'm about to take the N5 level of the J.L.P.T. in December.

Welcome, all!
My Orthodox Christian Fellowship chaplain was a missionary in Japan. He seemed to have done a lot there during his time serving in one of Japan's cathedrals. If you ever have any questions about becoming a missionary in Japan, I'd recommend that you contact Fr. Constantine White.

• My name is Constantine: and also Brian. My Dad is a normal American and my Mom is Greek. I just have American citizenship, but I'd like to think that I'll start the process of dual citizenship—someday.
  • I was born and raised in the great city of Chicago, although now I go to school in Washington, D.C. and commute back and forth between the two cities. I'll be studying abroad in Thessaloniki this summer, I hope.
  • I study international relations and my concentration of focus is on Russia, Central Asia, and Iran. If any of you know any Tajik or Persian Orthodox Christians, I'd love to get in contact with them. I study Byzantine history and the Greek Diaspora in my spare time, although I haven't had much of that in awhile.
  • I'm a normal American and I like normal things, like polo and cufflinks and whiskey. You know, the usual stuff.
  • I like learning languages. I want to serve the Church somewhere where it could use another set of hands, but the only language I speak well besides English already has been solidly Orthodox for about I'd say 1600 years. If anyone is interested in starting a mission church in Chicago, send me a message, please!
  • I like rites. Old Rite, Mozarabic Rite, Liturgy of Saint Tikhon Coptic Rite—I love 'em all.
  • I tend to like indie, rap, rembetiko, and bluegrass, although I've been listening to Buena Vista Social Club a lot recently.
  • I'd like to get better acquainted with people around here. I kind of feel like I don't add much to the conversations found in any of our subforums.

1am3rd

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I am Canadian, living in Jordan.  I am a (Carpatho-Russian) Orthodox convert.  I converted almost twenty years ago now.  I'm older than 25 ;-)

A homily I heard ages ago talked about a license plate with "IAM3RD" on it.  It was from a family who were friends with the Priest.  (I actually passed the car one day on the highway).  They chose it to represent the priorities in their lives:  First, Christ.  Second, everyone else.  Third, one's self.

I hope this is how I live my life. 

I have a degree in Protestant Theology, and one in Eastern Christian Studies.  I have a lot to learn!  I hope I can learn a lot here, and maybe even have a little something worth sharing.

Thanks and God bless,
Iam3rd