• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Irish Anglicans 'consecrate' first female bishop

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Today's Irish Indepedent reports that the 53 year old mother of two, Rev Pat Storey was 'consecrated' bishop of Meath and Kildare at Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, on Saturday 30 November, 2013. This is a first in Ireland.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Anglicans being Anglicans. This is news?

Byron

High Elder
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Axia!

Alpo said:
Are you a retard?

Questioning one's intellectual capacity like this is an ad hominem argument that contributes nothing of substance to the discussion. Not only that, but it's also very insulting both to Mike and to those in this world who have real learning disabilities. When Mike insulted you like this on the Private Forum, he was permitted to do so, since he was posting on the Private Forum, where the rules are much more lenient; returning the insult on the Public Forum like this, however, is NOT permitted. Seeing that you have been warned before for such behavior, you are receiving this warning to last for the next 40 days. Continue this behavior and your discipline will become even harsher, so I advise you to use the time of this warning to examine your conduct on this forum and see how you can cease these public attacks on others.

As always, if you think my action wrong, please feel free to appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I am not sure in what sense Ireland is behind the times? Certainly others elsewhere have 'consecrated' women bishops, but following that example is hardly anything except a sign of the spirit of our age.

And international businesses including the IT crowd love being based there, an educated workforce and tax incentives to suit. Not like my day when cassocked black crows swept the streets and the first question you were asked in a Central Dublin labour exchange was, 'Did you drive tractor?'. A negative response would see half the vacancy cards elbowed aside.

Still when I was a child calling others names such as 'retard' was considered by our socially adept elders as both rude and a sign of immaturity.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Santagranddad said:
I am not sure in what sense Ireland is behind the times? Certainly others elsewhere have 'consecrated' women bishops, but following that example is hardly anything except a sign of the spirit of our age.

And international businesses including the IT crowd love being based there, an educated workforce and tax incentives to suit. Not like my day when cassocked black crows swept the streets and the first question you were asked in a Central Dublin labour exchange was, 'Did you drive tractor?'. A negative response would see half the vacancy cards elbowed aside.

Still when I was a child calling others names such as 'retard' was considered by our socially adept elders as both rude and a sign of immaturity.
In the United States the use of the word in question is unacceptable, having gained the same social and linguistic disapprobation as the words beginning with certain letters which negatively refer to persons of color and women.

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
In the United States the use of the word in question is unacceptable, having gained the same social and linguistic disapprobation as the words beginning with certain letters which negatively refer to persons of color and women.
[/quote]

It is so considered here too. I have to confess to being more than a little shocked by its' use here on an Orthodox Christian website.

OrthoNoob

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Byron said:
Michał Kalina said:
Axia!

Alpo said:
Are you a retard?
Well played.

Though, in fairness, asking 'are you a retard?' may be slightly more offensive than asking 'are you retarded?', which is what the other posters in this thread are apparently unaware Michal did to you in the other thread.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
OrthoNoob said:
Byron said:
Michał Kalina said:
Axia!

Alpo said:
Are you a retard?
Well played.

Though, in fairness, asking 'are you a retard?' may be slightly more offensive than asking 'are you retarded?', which is what the other posters in this thread are apparently unaware Michal did to you in the other thread.
You're right, I was. Still rude though, in both cases.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Nicene said:
Alpo said:
Sure its news, bad news is still news.
Even bad news cease to be news at some point. They accepted female priesthood ages ago.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
Britannia est omnis divisa in partes tres: catholica, haeresia, et hibernia.
Based on the story, catholica and haeresia and hibernia are all synonyms. 

And I think you will offend a lot of people here who do not believe that Ireland is a part of Britain

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
OrthoNoob said:
Byron said:
Michał Kalina said:
Axia!

Alpo said:
Are you a retard?
Well played.

Again, in standard, contemporary American English usage, the "ad hominem" variants of this word, either as an adjective or a noun are not acceptable usage and are viewed by many as an obscene pejorative.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
OrthoNoob said:
Byron said:
Michał Kalina said:
Axia!

Alpo said:
Are you a retard?
Well played.

Again, in standard, contemporary American English usage, the "ad hominem" variants of this word, either as an adjective or a noun are not acceptable usage and are viewed by many as an obscene pejorative.
Return to the thread.

Byron

High Elder
Reaction score
OrthoNoob said:
Byron said:
Michał Kalina said:
Axia!

Alpo said:
Are you a retard?
Well played.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think kalinas comment of axios was stupid in the extreme.

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpo said:
They put a modest dress and hat with Christian symbolism on a woman to play dress up. I know kids who do this on the daily. I agree with those who say it isn't news. The Anglicans have driven themselves into irrelevancy.

In Christ,
Andrew

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
No offense but you'd have to define what "irrelevancy" is, otherwise the archbishop of Canterbury is more widely known than the patriarch of Bulgaria.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Edited. Posted before seeing Mikal's note.

Sorry.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Who cares?

Really, there is no reason why a woman cannot be bishop. The only decent argument I ever heard put forth against women in the Priesthood was actually on oc.net. It was an allegorical argument and a good one. But still allegorical.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Santagranddad said:
podkarpatska said:
It is so considered here too. I have to confess to being more than a little shocked by its' use here on an Orthodox Christian website.
[/quote]

A website is not capable of either sanctification nor damnation. People on the other hand are capable of either, depending on their mood.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
orthonorm said:
Who cares?

Really, there is no reason why a woman cannot be bishop. The only decent argument I ever heard put forth against women in the Priesthood was actually on oc.net. It was an allegorical argument and a good one. But still allegorical.
A woman can pretend to be a bishop, dress up in her mitre, and walk gracefully like one, but more importantly, is her position truly grace-filled and not merely graceful? Can she lay hands on people and ordain deacons, priests, and other bishops? No.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
orthonorm said:
Who cares?

A woman can pretend to be a bishop, dress up in her mitre, and walk gracefully like one, but more importantly, is her position truly grace-filled and not merely graceful? Can she lay hands on people and ordain deacons, priests, and other bishops? No.
A man can pretend to be a bishop, dress up in his mitre, and walk gracefully like one, but more importantly, is his position truly grace-filled and not merely graceful? Can he lay hands on people and ordain deacons, priests, and other bishops apart from the community of the Church? No. The work of chrismating, ordaining deacons and priests, and consecrating bishops is rightly the work of the Church carried out by bishops of and within the Church. The grace needed to do this work is not intrinsic to the person of the bishop. A "bishop" outside the Church really isn't a bishop, anyway.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
orthonorm said:
Who cares?

A man can pretend to be a bishop, dress up in his mitre, and walk gracefully like one, but more importantly, is his position truly grace-filled and not merely graceful? Can he lay hands on people and ordain deacons, priests, and other bishops apart from the community of the Church? No. The work of chrismating, ordaining deacons and priests, and consecrating bishops is rightly the work of the Church carried out by bishops of and within the Church. The grace needed to do this work is not intrinsic to the person of the bishop. A "bishop" outside the Church really isn't a bishop, anyway.
Very true.