"Irrefutable Questions" that Orthodox and Catholics Can't Answer, says website

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I'm not the best of anything, but I am sometimes stunned by the fact that people let themselves stay unaware of things which are easily settled by picking up a book or going online. It's one thing to have different views, it's another to not want to know even the simplest definitions. It sounds like the guy who made that site thinks he knows all he needs to know, from a polemic point of view. Even if he never converts or changes his mind, at least he could practice some natural curiosity.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
'm not the best of anything, but I am sometimes stunned by the fact that people let themselves stay unaware of things which are easily settled by picking up a book or going online. It's one thing to have different views, it's another to not want to know even the simplest definitions. It sounds like the guy who made that site thinks he knows all he needs to know, from a polemic point of view. Even if he never converts or changes his mind, at least he could practice some natural curiosity
Thats the problem.The culture of hyper-emotional fundementalism (which this person obviously ascribes to) dosent really have alot of room for education and intellectual dialog. A few of my family members are of this stripe, and at one time I leaned that way too. They only speak of facts that prove their point and dismiss all other facts out-of-hand as biased against their view.

PP

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that Anglicans/Episcopalians still renounce Satan at baptism, at least if they're using the books. I wonder if Lutherans do?

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Scotty said:
I went through each of these questions and refuted them in my head, and was very tempted to email the author.  But then I realized that my words will do nothing, only the Trinity can save him.  He views Catholicism/Orthodoxy in the way a fundamentalist views their own beliefs.  Take kneeling for example; he condemns Catholics for kneeling in worship when he himself has no objection to it (or I am assuming).  When I have some time I'll write down objections.

It would be funny if OC.net compiled all answers to his questions and sent them to him.  A waste of time, but I'm sure most of us would learn a thing or two in the process.
A waste to be sure. IIRC, Steven Ruud owns the site and refused to answer my corrections after his initial reply to my attempt several years ago. He asked me to show where he was wrong. I did. He never answered; or corrected the errors.
Better that we correct him here and make sure search engines find them here.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
Scotty said:
I went through each of these questions and refuted them in my head, and was very tempted to email the author.  But then I realized that my words will do nothing, only the Trinity can save him.  He views Catholicism/Orthodoxy in the way a fundamentalist views their own beliefs.  Take kneeling for example; he condemns Catholics for kneeling in worship when he himself has no objection to it (or I am assuming).  When I have some time I'll write down objections.

It would be funny if OC.net compiled all answers to his questions and sent them to him.  A waste of time, but I'm sure most of us would learn a thing or two in the process.
A waste to be sure. IIRC, Steven Ruud owns the site and refused to answer my corrections after his initial reply to my attempt several years ago. He asked me to show where he was wrong. I did. He never answered; or corrected the errors.
Better that we correct him here and make sure search engines find them here.
the voice of wisdom and experience.