• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Is anyone interested in survival and the use of primitive tools?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
What kind of survival and primitive tools are we talking about, Mor? Surely not...

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Yes! What a great topic. Some anthropology books are just fascinating in this regard. I had one about ironmaking in ancient Africa, and that kind of thing -- ingenious, portable, sustaianable means of making things that any tribe or even individual could use back then, and which we tend to take for granted must be manufactured -- but the girls got it completely waterlogged before I could finish.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I think if my life depended on it I could probably start a fire.

What I find interesting is when there's a culture that excels despite not having seemingly important advancements: like the Classic Maya and their significant infrastructure and buildings, despite the very limited (or zero) use of the wheel and metallurgy.  Or cultures which do amazing things with what tech they happen to have: like Polynesians traversing oceans to reach places like New Zealand.

(I assume this thread is a joke, but srs is as srs does my momma always said)

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
^ Man, not specifically technology, is the magic.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
When civilization breaks down I take contort in the fact I'll outlive all those upper middle class people I work for. Most will die like flies.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
When civilization breaks down I take contort in the fact I'll outlive all those upper middle class people I work for. Most will die like flies.
Ill keep note you'll be my refuge.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
augustin717 said:
Normally when a society falls from war or disaster, people of different classes are all affected. But maybe you're thinking of some specific kind of downfall, like a revolution. Or maybe you have the survival skills of a Navy SEAL.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
There are plenty of primitive tools posting on these boards.  Some of them are muted now though.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
There are some pretty decent youtube videos on the Primitive Technology channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I am not really interested in survival. If/when the zombie apocalypse comes, I fully anticipate being one of the zombies within a relatively short period of time.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Mor Ephrem said:
I am not a survivalist.  Life without the comforts of civilization is a horrifying prospect.

So, taking the case TheTrisagion facetiously raises of a Zombie apocalypse:  Let the zombies eat me, if it comes down to it.

However, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I propose the solution would require advanced technology in the form of weaponry and the manufacture of plants which would convert the zombies into something like Soylent Green, which would be the only effective way of controlling the population of zombies and preserving the food supply due to the disruption zombies would inevitably cause to agriculture and food production.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
It's interesting, but I just read this thing on The Economist.

Basically, everybody should have a HEPA water filter.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
You propose we eat zombies? I think consuming rotting human flesh would be most unhealthy.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
TheTrisagion said:
I am not really interested in survival. If/when the zombie apocalypse comes, I fully anticipate being one of the zombies within a relatively short period of time.
Aww, don't say that! Every zombie apocalypse needs a Milton:

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
TheTrisagion said:
You propose we eat zombies? I think consuming rotting human flesh would be most unhealthy.
No, I propose to construct zombie-abbatoirs, in which the zombies would be slaughtered, and the raw proteins and nutrients from their decomposing flesh extracted via a biochemical process, to produce an edible synthetic foodstuff.

The other technological development a zombie apocalypse would require would be an implantable explosive device, which everyone would have to have surgically inserted into their head.  When death was detected, by body cooling, the explosive would activate, destroying the head and thus preventing the potential zombie from becoming "active."

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Has something do with the movie 'Odyssey 2000' and is like the Chimpanzee learning to use a stick to poke something.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
nothing said:
What kind of survival and primitive tools are we talking about, Mor? Surely not...

I think its machining tools and a machine shop. (How to use a lathe machine)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Alpha60 said:
TheTrisagion said:
No, I propose to construct zombie-abbatoirs, in which the zombies would be slaughtered, and the raw proteins and nutrients from their decomposing flesh extracted via a biochemical process, to produce an edible synthetic foodstuff.
Is this like Soylent Green?

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
nothing said:

Speaking of "primitive tools"...this guy is a class A jerk.  I always thought the fact that he would kill innocent animals on camera to keep up the charade that such was necessary for his survival - when we all know the cameraman had a granola bar in his fanny pack and the catering truck was fully stocked - was more disgusting than all of the pee-smoothies he ever guzzled.  Then again, when I was little, if some kid killed a frog or a snake or something in front of me, I'd sock them in the mouth, so I guess take this post with a grain of salt.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Antonious Nikolas said:
Then again, when I was little, if some kid killed a frog or a snake or something in front of me, I'd sock them in the mouth, so I guess take this post with a grain of salt.
God bless you. The world needs more of your kind.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Then again, when I was little, if some kid killed a frog or a snake or something in front of me, I'd sock them in the mouth, so I guess take this post with a grain of salt.
I'm really getting the sense that we're kindred souls lately.  :)

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Not so much alike as simpatico maybe. Hard to say. But you do meet with my approval and always have. Rock on!

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpha60 said:
TheTrisagion said:
Is this like Soylent Green?
Alpha60 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
I am not a survivalist.  Life without the comforts of civilization is a horrifying prospect.

So, taking the case TheTrisagion facetiously raises of a Zombie apocalypse:  Let the zombies eat me, if it comes down to it.

However, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I propose the solution would require advanced technology in the form of weaponry and the manufacture of plants which would convert the zombies into something like Soylent Green, which would be the only effective way of controlling the population of zombies and preserving the food supply due to the disruption zombies would inevitably cause to agriculture and food production.
Looks like it, eh?  At least in this scenario Charleron Heston could have exclaimed "Soylent Green WAS people!" in the past tense.

And also +1 to AN and Porter re: Bear Grylls.  There is a word that the rules of the forum preclude me from saying, that would seem to describe him and his pretentious animal-killing charade of roughing it metres away from the craft services tent.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
The frog-killer I would punch, but rattlesnakes were a bit scary, and we avoided them like the plague.

Now, in fourth grade, here is what my sadistic evil and depraved liberal feminazi public school teachers did: on Monday, the class received a pet lobster.  Throughout the week, we named it, wrote stories about it, and then on Friday, the pot appeared in which it was to meet its demise.  Several of the young girls were in tears.  It was an evil act.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
Antonious Nikolas said:
Speaking of "primitive tools"...this guy is a class A jerk.  I always thought the fact that he would kill innocent animals on camera to keep up the charade that such was necessary for his survival - when we all know the cameraman had a granola bar in his fanny pack and the catering truck was fully stocked - was more disgusting than all of the pee-smoothies he ever guzzled.  Then again, when I was little, if some kid killed a frog or a snake or something in front of me, I'd sock them in the mouth, so I guess take this post with a grain of salt.
Really? I always got a kick out of watching him try to stomach some kind of grub or beetle, he was pretty funny.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Alpha60 said:
...sadistic evil and depraved liberal feminazi public school teachers did...
See you gotta be careful to ask, when hiring teachers, whether or not they're part of the 'bleeding heart' animal-loving tree-hugging wing of evil and depraved liberalism.

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
We aren't survivalists exactly, but we do believe in teaching "primitive skills" such as tracking, fire starting, hunting, preparation of a carcass, flint napping, and such.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Not so much alike as simpatico maybe. Hard to say. But you do meet with my approval and always have. Rock on!
A fine distinction, but perhaps an accurate one.  I shall endeavor to persevere at rocking on.  ;)

Alpha60 said:
The frog-killer I would punch, but rattlesnakes were a bit scary, and we avoided them like the plague.
I wouldn't kill a rattlesnake unless it was him or me.  Like you said, I'd avoid him.  I'm talking about harmless garter snakes though.  I used to catch them all the time.  They are cute.  I've been boxing since I was in the single digits, and if I caught any kids harassing wildlife, they'd get the business from me.

Alpha60 said:
depraved liberal feminazi public school teachers
You absolutely lost me with this terminology, Rush.  Are you trying to get this thread kicked into politics?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
A fine distinction, but perhaps an accurate one.  I shall endeavor to persevere at rocking on.  ;)

Alpha60 said:
I wouldn't kill a rattlesnake unless it was him or me.  Like you said, I'd avoid him.  I'm talking about harmless garter snakes though.  I used to catch them all the time.  They are cute.  I've been boxing since I was in the single digits, and if I caught any kids harassing wildlife, they'd get the business from me.

Alpha60 said:
You absolutely lost me with this terminology, Rush.  Are you trying to get this thread kicked into politics?
people in my hometown believe that if you kill a snake God will forgive you exactly seven sins.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
augustin717 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:

Alpha60 said:

Alpha60 said:
people in my hometown believe that if you kill a snake God will forgive you exactly seven sins.
That explains a lot about why you think the Church is hogwash and why you abandoned it.  This kind of silly folk superstition does make Christianity look ridiculous.  I'm still praying God will bring you home though.  :)

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Antonious Nikolas said:
augustin717 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:

Alpha60 said:

Alpha60 said:
That explains a lot about why you think the Church is hogwash and why you abandoned it.  This kind of silly folk superstition does make Christianity look ridiculous.  I'm still praying God will bring you home though.  :)
avtually this is the sort of Christianity I can put up with. If I ever go back and things don't change dramatically over there either might sign a truce with the local clergy if need be in order to maybe procure a burial . But hopefully these are things of a more remote future.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
augustin717 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
augustin717 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:

Alpha60 said:

Alpha60 said:
avtually this is the sort of Christianity I can put up with. If I ever go back and things don't change dramatically over there either might sign a truce with the local clergy if need be in order to maybe procure a burial . But hopefully these are things of a more remote future.
So, let me get this straight: You don't believe in God and you don't intend to live a life in the Church at all, but as long as they stay colorful and superstitious, you're willing to placate the local clergy so they will one day plant your lifeless corpse - which will avail you nothing - because that would be the Romanian thing to do?  Am I in the ballpark?  Are you sure you're not a convert trying to make us cradles look bad by playing up a caricature of the "I'm only here for cultural reasons ethnic Orthodox guy"?  You're laying it on a bit thick.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
IF I was going to survive I would probalby choose tools which are ot primitive, but perhaps there is a reason you wanted to ask about primiteve tools in particular :)

Reaction score
Eastern part of the northwest region of the U.S.
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I don't think it's the tools that matter so much as the person who looks at ordinary objects and sees everything they could possibly be.  Who can combine various items to protect oneself or make the uninhabitable habitable. Etc.
As we were taught in the Marines - "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome!" (If it got me through the poverty-stricken toddler years, I have high hopes for the apocalypse ;) )

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
mcarmichael said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Really? I always got a kick out of watching him try to stomach some kind of grub or beetle, he was pretty funny.
That figures.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Antonious Nikolas said:
nothing said:

As long as he ate what he killed what is the problem?  His shows are about survival skills ad killing animals so you can eat is one of them.  Not needing it isn't much of an arguement.  Vegans use the same arguement.  Nobody needs to eat meat.  Which is true.  But I choose to eat meat because it is delicious.  On the otherhand, I don't care for small game, lot of work and mess for not much meat.  Deer, elk, moose, buffalo however are well worth it.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Deacon Lance said:
As long as he ate what he killed what is the problem? 
He was killing for entertainment.  His show was no better than that crappy Knife Fight show where d-bag hipster "chefs" carved up live animals for the entertainment of d-bag hipster audiences, or those imbecilic Fear Factor shows where they'd have some cheerleader eat live bugs, and you'd see the poor, half-chewed thing fall out of her screaming mouth, still writhing on the table.  If you're the kind of person who watches that kind of stuff and your reaction is "Dude!  Did you see that?" or laughter, you're a subhuman.

Deacon Lance said:
His shows are about survival skills...

LOL!  His show was about entertainment.  No one watched his show because they were planning a trip to an isolated valley in the Siberian tundra.  They watched it to see what kind of stupid stuff he'd do next.

Deacon Lance said:
Not needing it isn't much of an arguement.  Vegans use the same arguement.  Nobody needs to eat meat.  Which is true.  But I choose to eat meat because it is delicious.
Apples and oranges.  We're talking about someone killing for entertainment here, often crudely and not in a humane fashion.  The "as long as I eat it afterwards" argument doesn't apply under those circumstances.  You don't get to torture something to death, like when Grylls and those lower primates tortured that pig to death on live tv and then act like that's the same thing as killing an animal for food under normal circumstances.

If you find people killing animals on reality shows entertaining, you have unresolved issues.