• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Is Christ a "Composite Hypostasis"?

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
None yet. I'm inquiring into EOC.
How do we speak in Christology of Christ's hypostasis? How does it relate to nature? Is Christ's hypostasis a solely divine one with both a divine nature and human nature within it? If this is the case, how do we deal with the fact that nature always exists in the mode of a person and thus would imply that human nature exists in the mode of a human person? Would this not mean that Christ's hypostasis is not merely uncreated and divine, but also created and human?

I'm somewhat confused on this issue.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Surely at least the sketch of an answer can/will be given?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Yea, if you begin to work out a definition of dictionary terms describing the Christology you have in mind.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
When we say "Christ is a divine hypostasis" I think what we are doing is emphasizing that he is pre-eternal and the Logos, and that this is the same hypostasis that becomes human (as opposed to one that comes into being at the incarnation). So I think it is more about emphasis than strict definition.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
NicholasMyra said:
When we say "Christ is a divine hypostasis" I think what we are doing is emphasizing that he is pre-eternal and the Logos, and that this is the same hypostasis that becomes human (as opposed to one that comes into being at the incarnation). So I think it is more about emphasis than strict definition.
I start with ~ Is Jesus God? and try to understand Chalcedony Christology.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Mister_Trumpet said:
How do we speak in Christology of Christ's hypostasis? How does it relate to nature? Is Christ's hypostasis a solely divine one with both a divine nature and human nature within it? If this is the case, how do we deal with the fact that nature always exists in the mode of a person and thus would imply that human nature exists in the mode of a human person? Would this not mean that Christ's hypostasis is not merely uncreated and divine, but also created and human?

I'm somewhat confused on this issue.
The term "composite Hypostasis" implies to me that it is a union of two hypostases and retains two hypostases in it, and this is not a way that EOs would describe the Hypostasis.
In contrast, EO Christology would say that unless you define hypostasis as "substance", then Christ has only one hypostasis, and the hypostasis is not a composite of two hypostases.
Christ is both divine and human, and so it can be said that His person is divine and human, and that His hypostasis is divine and human.
In EO Christology, in practice it looks like "person" and "hypostasis" could usually be used interchangeably. More technically, hypostasis has been translated as "subsistence."