• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Is it wrong to date more than one person at a time

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Is it wrong for me to be dating couple of women. I like each one for different reasons. If I could put all three together I'd marry that chick lol. What's your view on dating lots of people.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
No, but I would advise against it.

Some of my friends got burned for doing so, and the funny thing was that they ended up going to the same eatery with different dates and met the persons whom they were dating. A fight nearly ensued.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
jewish voice said:
Is it wrong for me to be dating couple of women. I like each one for different reasons. If I could put all three together I'd marry that chick lol. What's your view on dating lots of people.
Depends on what you call dating.

If it is getting to know better still as a friend even if with the awareness that it may develop into a relationship, I think it's ok.

If it is already a relationship, with emotional commitment, physical contact (specially if sex is included....) then yes, it's very wrong.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

If it is getting to know better still as a friend even if with the awareness that it may develop into a relationship, I think it's ok.

If it is already a relationship, with emotional commitment, physical contact (specially if sex is included....) then yes, it's very wrong.
Yes, very wrong. One can also get killed in a love triangle.

R

Raylight

I don't think it is a good thing to date more than one person at a time. It is not good for you and for them.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Well I do really like them all. There are a few reasons why I won't commit. One can't have kids and I don't know what if I do want kids one day. One from my old city so we get that feeling of home when we hang out talking sports and stuff . Other on is kinda a yippy from Boston lol just can't pick

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
As long as it's clear to each individual that you are openly dating without any particular commitment or promises made, why not? 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

And terrorists. 

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

And terrorists.   

?????

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
No, as long as you have not committed to one person I don't see the wrongness. However, as a matter of practical advice, I would advise against it. It will certainly make friendships and the social dynamic around you very awkward.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

And terrorists.   

?????
You named one way someone could die.  I named another.  Both are extreme cases which are hardly relevant to the OP, but who cares? 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
jewish voice said:
What's your view on dating lots of people.
That you shouldn't, but if you must, at least try to make sure that none of the women are associated with or related to each other in any way or form. Don't date from the same group of friends or social sphere. Date women that are fully separated and don't know each other at all. Again, not because of morality but practicality. You don't need rumors spreading or awkwardness arising.

Sean Chaney

Reaction score
To give a level of moral accountability, yes I do believe that it is wrong to date more than one person at a time.  Christ said to love others as he loves his disciples, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  If you have to ask this question, then you should follow what is on your conscience.  Someone you have romantic interest in deserves your sole focus.  You won't learn entirely about that person if they know you are dating more than one person.  In fact, depending on the circumstances it walks the line as being unfaithful.  Even in your pursuit for romantic interest, it should be one person at a time, because it will ultimate be with one person.  Romantic interest is an education and a connection more than it is a buffet....

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

Seems like a fun way to kick the bucket.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Cyrillic said:
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

Seems like a fun way to kick the bucket.
More fun than eating GMO corn rats. 

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Sean Chaney said:
To give a level of moral accountability, yes I do believe that it is wrong to date more than one person at a time.  Christ said to love others as he loves his disciples, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  If you have to ask this question, then you should follow what is on your conscience.  Someone you have romantic interest in deserves your sole focus.  You won't learn entirely about that person if they know you are dating more than one person.  In fact, depending on the circumstances it walks the line as being unfaithful.  Even in your pursuit for romantic interest, it should be one person at a time, because it will ultimate be with one person.  Romantic interest is an education and a connection more than it is a buffet....
I do get what your saying.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

And terrorists.   

?????
You named one way someone could die.  I named another.  Both are extreme cases which are hardly relevant to the OP, but who cares? 
Sorry, Mor, but you are way off topic. I am not going to buy your argument.

When people date more than one person, especially when sex is involved, the jealousy factor can cause serious bodily harm or even death due to a love triangle.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

And terrorists.   

?????

When people date more than one person, especially when sex is involved, the jealousy factor can cause serious bodily harm or even death due to a love triangle.

This sounds like the voice of someone who has experienced this.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
DeniseDenise said:
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

And terrorists.   

?????

No, when I was in college living in the dorm, some of my roommates lived through some harrowing experiences.
They thought that they could play the field and not get burned.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Maria said:
DeniseDenise said:
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Maria said:
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

And terrorists.   

?????

No, when I was in college living in the dorm, some of my roommates lived through some harrowing experiences.
They thought that they could play the field and not get burned.
Multiple women fought to injury and death over the same man?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
This is why I'm gradually coming to appreciate the Christianity no sex until marriage thing. Seems like when you fornicate, a lot of bad things potentially happen to you--like being murdered in a love triangle or getting the clap, and all that emotionally jealous stuff among other things. But perhaps the greatest motivator is being able to set an example for my children if I have any. I want to have a total honesty policy with them where I honestly tell them about my life and mistakes, and I want to be able to tell them that I only had sex with their mother when we were married so that I'm not a hypocrite when I expect them to wait until they're married.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Maria said:

You won't "buy my argument" because terrorists are off topic, but it's relevant to reference murder when the topic is "dating".  Yeah, that makes sense.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
JamesR said:
This is why I'm gradually coming to appreciate the Christianity no sex until marriage thing. Seems like when you fornicate, a lot of bad things potentially happen to you--like being murdered in a love triangle or getting the clap, and all that emotionally jealous stuff among other things. But perhaps the greatest motivator is being able to set an example for my children if I have any. I want to have a total honesty policy with them where I honestly tell them about my life and mistakes, and I want to be able to tell them that I only had sex with their mother when we were married so that I'm not a hypocrite when I expect them to wait until they're married.
I guess you've given up on the vasectomy.

sakura95

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox seeker
Jurisdiction
Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
jewish voice said:
Yes, at least IMO. It's best to ask yourself whether you are fine with those three women liking other men.

However, to be honest, there were many instances in my life when I liked multiple girls all at once. Nothing bad happened though since I was too shy to confess or even talk to any of my crushes.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
What if you are involved in a terrorist love triangle?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Fabio Leite said:
jewish voice said:

IMO, this.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Mor Ephrem said:
hecma925 said:
What if you are involved in a terrorist love triangle?
Genetically modified aliens.
They invented both Monsanto and the Northern Lights.  Monsters.

NanaDeborah

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I'm a little late to the party, but in our grandparents' day, "going steady" was quite frowned upon. 

"It is hard to fall in love with Bob on Tuesday when you know you are going out for coffee with Bill on Thursday. This lack of emotional commitment leads to less physical temptation.  Less temptation leads to less compromise. I have no idea how women are supposed to guard their hearts while in an exclusive relationship with the purpose of marriage....The benefit of traditional dating is that the lack of exclusivity reduces temptation."  http://www.thomasumstattd.com/2014/08/courtship-fundamentally-flawed/

I realize times have changed.  Much for the worse IMO.  Dating seems to imply sex these days. Wish we could push the Rewind button. 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Interesting how there is no expectation that men "guard their hearts."  ::)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
biro said:
Interesting how there is no expectation that men "guard their hearts."  ::)
The quote right above your post referenced dating "Bob" and "Bill".  Most of us have guarded our hearts from at least that much.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
I started reading this thread with 'wait, someone here is dating 3 people?'

Impossible, this is OC.net

Then I realized the poster wasn't one of the normal riff raff but was instead a nice Jewish young man..

Makes so much more sense now

NanaDeborah

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Interesting how there is no expectation that men "guard their hearts."  Roll Eyes
Yeah, I know, not the best article, but it came to mind when I started reading this thread.  How much times have changed.  I am old enough myself to remember when our parents would be very upset if we seemed to stay exclusively with one person.  They knew rightly what it would lead to. But there was also the "boys will be boys" thing too.  So the idea was good, in a way, at least to protect the girls, but society was still fundamentally flawed. 

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I believe in biblical courtship.  Faith based courtship with the intent on finding a spouse.  So yes, I think in the way I see courtship dating more than one would be bad.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
yeshuaisiam said:
I believe in biblical courtship.   Faith based courtship with the intent on finding a spouse.  So yes, I think in the way I see courtship dating more than one would be bad.
Which one?  Working for 14 years to get the right girl?  The courtship of Dinah in Schechem?  David and Batsheba post-Uriah?  Maybe Hosea and Gomer's courtship is a good example.