Is theosis possible for those in communion with Rome?

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Also, her response does not take into account the complete phrase 'ordinary and immediate jurisdiction'.

Irish Hermit said:
elijahmaria said:
NO!  The magisterium is not a corporate structure which requires a CEO.  If you can't get that straight then you have no possible framework for understanding immediate and universal ordinary jurisdiction.  That entire phrase is moderated by the statement in the apostolic constitution that the pope is NOT to replace the power and authority of the local ordinary.  
Yes, but only if the local biship is performing to the satisfaction of the Supreme Pontiff.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how one could wriggle out of that.  Looks pretty regulatory to me.
I don't understand why this upsets her so much.

Irish Hermit said:
elijahmaria said:

And no.  The pope does not "regulate" the "expression" of RC doctrine and its teaching.   The papacy is NOT a regulatory office.
Ho! ho! ho!  No regulatory office?!

Can. 338 §1. It is for the Roman Pontiff alone to convoke an ecumenical council, preside offer it personally or through others, transfer, suspend, or dissolve a council, and to approve its decrees.

§2. It is for the Roman Pontiff to determine the matters to be treated in a council and establish the order to be observed in a council. To the questions proposed by the Roman Pontiff, the council fathers can add others which are to be approved by the Roman Pontiff.

Can. 341 §1. The decrees of an ecumenical council do not have obligatory force unless they have been approved by the Roman Pontiff together with the council fathers, confirmed by him, and promulgated at his order.

§2. To have obligatory force, decrees which the college of bishops issues when it places a truly collegial action in another way initiated or freely accepted by the Roman Pontiff need the same confirmation and promulgation.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P17.HTM#4W

witega

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
elijahmaria said:
primuspilus said:
FatherGiryus said:
A beautiful statement, and something Orthodox Church agrees with in terms of the equality of all bishops, not just the Bishop of Rome.

elijahmaria said:
Pope Benedict on the Petrine Ministry:

"The Catholic Church understands the Petrine ministry as a gift of the Lord to His Church. This ministry should not be interpreted in the perspective of power, but within an ecclesiology of communion, as a service to unity in truth and charity. The Bishop of the Church of Rome, which presides in charity ... is understood to be the 'Servus Servorum Dei' (Servant of the Servants of God). ... It is a question of seeking together, inspired by the model of the first millennium, the forms in which the ministry of the Bishop of Rome may accomplish a service of love recognised by one and all".

http://storico.radiovaticana.org/en1/storico/2009-11/338524_pope_on_understanding_the_petrine_ministry.html
Thats the problem. It is equality, but some..or one is MORE equal than others.

PP
It is astonishing to me, knowing the radical hierarchy of heaven, as taught by the holy fathers, of which the earthly hierarchy is a part, can never really be seen as a hierarchy of love.
Now I'm really confused. Are you saying that the Pope's authority as head of the hierarchy of the (Roman) Church is equivalent to God's authority as head of the hierarchy of Heaven (and all Creation)? Because if so, then I'm not sure what's being disagreed about.

I don't think there's any disagreement that God's authority is absolute. We're all very happy that He is who He is and He wields that authority with absolute Love and Mercy, but that's His choice not ours--if He chose to damn us all to hell, that would be His prerogative, yes? And Fr. Giryus and Fr. Ambrose are arguing that the RC position is that the Pope has absolute power (although I'm not sure even they are making the sweeping claim your analogy does). And I think we can all agree that some Popes, unlike God, have not wielded their authority in a perfect spirit of Love and Mercy; and alternately, that some popes have shown a great deal of humility and love.

So Orthodox don't say that the Pope cannot act out of love and humility--but we are saying that he doesn't have to. And even if he doesn't, he's still pope and, in RC teaching and practice, wields an authority we don't believe is vested in any single individual.

(which I think somehow connects back to the original topic, like the essence and energies discussion, in that it simply demonstrates that RC and Orthodox teaching are different, regardless of which side's argument has more merit--though of course we end up going off-topic to debate the merits of the arguments)

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score

witega said:
elijahmaria said:
primuspilus said:
FatherGiryus said:
A beautiful statement, and something Orthodox Church agrees with in terms of the equality of all bishops, not just the Bishop of Rome.

elijahmaria said:
Pope Benedict on the Petrine Ministry:

"The Catholic Church understands the Petrine ministry as a gift of the Lord to His Church. This ministry should not be interpreted in the perspective of power, but within an ecclesiology of communion, as a service to unity in truth and charity. The Bishop of the Church of Rome, which presides in charity ... is understood to be the 'Servus Servorum Dei' (Servant of the Servants of God). ... It is a question of seeking together, inspired by the model of the first millennium, the forms in which the ministry of the Bishop of Rome may accomplish a service of love recognised by one and all".

http://storico.radiovaticana.org/en1/storico/2009-11/338524_pope_on_understanding_the_petrine_ministry.html
Thats the problem. It is equality, but some..or one is MORE equal than others.

PP
It is astonishing to me, knowing the radical hierarchy of heaven, as taught by the holy fathers, of which the earthly hierarchy is a part, can never really be seen as a hierarchy of love.
Now I'm really confused. Are you saying that the Pope's authority as head of the hierarchy of the (Roman) Church is equivalent to God's authority as head of the hierarchy of Heaven (and all Creation)? Because if so, then I'm not sure what's being disagreed about.

I don't think there's any disagreement that God's authority is absolute. We're all very happy that He is who He is and He wields that authority with absolute Love and Mercy, but that's His choice not ours--if He chose to damn us all to hell, that would be His prerogative, yes? And Fr. Giryus and Fr. Ambrose are arguing that the RC position is that the Pope has absolute power (although I'm not sure even they are making the sweeping claim your analogy does). And I think we can all agree that some Popes, unlike God, have not wielded their authority in a perfect spirit of Love and Mercy; and alternately, that some popes have shown a great deal of humility and love.

So Orthodox don't say that the Pope cannot act out of love and humility--but we are saying that he doesn't have to. And even if he doesn't, he's still pope and, in RC teaching and practice, wields an authority we don't believe is vested in any single individual.

(which I think somehow connects back to the original topic, like the essence and energies discussion, in that it simply demonstrates that RC and Orthodox teaching are different, regardless of which side's argument has more merit--though of course we end up going off-topic to debate the merits of the arguments)

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
Mary, my sense is that we Orthodox see the Magisterium of Rome as the 'lynch pin' of Roman Catholic teachings.  There is a single point of reference, a single authority, for all teachings.

This has given the RCC the ability to conduct major changes in theology and practice in a very brief period of time, such as the Novus Ordo, which the Orthodox Church simply could never do even if a majority of the bishops resolved to do just that.  Our diversification of authority, through the notion of common Apostolic succession to all bishops, prevents such changes.

For this reason, we tend to look at RCC tradition as a dictate of the Magisterium.  All saints, all writings, all teachings come through this single entity...
VVV
elijahmaria said:
[size=11pt]Father [Giryus],

I do understand what you are saying and appreciate the impact that vision would have on those outside of the Church.  

But I must add this to what you have said.  The very fact that the Novus Ordo and many many of the changes that are comprised today, by the normative Roman rite, actually were implemented on the orders of various bishop's delegates in committee and not by the papal office nor even the documents from a general council, ought to make it plain as day that there is a fearsome amount of power in the office of bishop in the Catholic Church.

The truth is that there is no one single locus of magisterial teaching.  There is indeed one single locus for collecting the documents and teachings of the ages, coming from councils and synodal meetings and curial texts so that it becomes that much more efficient to devise a catechism or a code of canons...but to think that the contents of those tomes come from one single point on some triangle of a hierarchy is simply a delusion.

But the magisterial charge was given to the bishops and that is where the locus of power in the Church remains to this day.  The source of the petrine authority may indeed be divine, but the successful daily and pedestrian exercise of that authority is absolutely dependent upon the good will of Catholic bishops all over the world...
M.
Hi M.,

You seem to be saying here that the papal office was not responsible for Novus Ordo, but that rather bishop's delegates were. Is that what you are saying??

Monsignor Klaus Gamber, however, in Reform of the Roman Liturgy 2, attributes Novus Ordo to Pope Paul VI, despite protests at all levels of the RC church all around the world:

"Neither the persistent entreaties of distinguished cardinals, nor serious dogmatic points raised about the new liturgy, nor urgent appeals from around the world not to make the new Missal mandatory could stop Pope Paul VI - a clear indication of his own, strong personal endorsement. Even the threat of a new schism - the Lefevre case - could not move him to have the traditional ritus Romanus at least coexist with the new rite - a simple gesture of pluralism and inclusiveness, which, in our day and age, certainly would have been a politic thing to do."  -Gamber, The Reform of the Roman Liturgy (1993), p. 100. This work was endorsed by then Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI).

I can provide other references attributing Novus Ordo to Pope Paul VI if need by; some can also be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_of_Paul_VI

At any rate, M., can you document your apparent claim that the pope was not responsible for Novus Ordo???

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I wonder if we could all agree not to bring in any more new topics on this thread, in the hope that old matters could be settled?

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Novus Disordo

Pope Benedict believes that it is the Mass which poses the greatest threat to Catholicism.  It has become the Weapon of Mass Destruction in the Catholic Church today..

"I am convinced that the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves
today depends in great part on the collapse of the liturgy.”

"In its practical materialization, liturgical reform has moved further
away from this origin. The result was not re-animation but devastation.

Pope Benedict XVI
~~~~~~

In the doleful words of Pope Benedict he is not speaking of isolated and rare abuses (clown Masses) but of a breakdown and corruption of the Mass which pervades the Catholic world.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I, for one and as a non-RC, would like to see the RCC return to its more ancient practices.  If we have any hope for reunion, it would be through a more and more traditional RCC.  If they were to progress all the way back to the era of the original schism, I think we could all find reason to overcome the chasm.

Irish Hermit said:
Novus Disordo

Pope Benedict believes that it is the Mass which poses the greatest threat to Catholicism.  It has become the Weapon of Mass Destruction in the Catholic Church today..

"I am convinced that the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves
today depends in great part on the collapse of the liturgy.”

"In its practical materialization, liturgical reform has moved further
away from this origin. The result was not re-animation but devastation.

Pope Benedict XVI
~~~~~~

In the doleful words of Pope Benedict he is not speaking of isolated and rare abuses (clown Masses) but of a breakdown and corruption of the Mass which pervades the Catholic world.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Irish Hermit said:
Pope Benedict believes that it is the Mass which poses the greatest threat to Catholicism. 
I think you might be exaggerating a wee bit here. I don't recall him ever calling it the greatest threat to Catholicism.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Well, he should...

I don't think anyone wants to see this as the face of the Roman Catholic Church.

PS- I'm not posting this to embarrass RCs, but to underline the importance of maintaining the sacredness of what is sacred.

Peter J said:
Irish Hermit said:
Pope Benedict believes that it is the Mass which poses the greatest threat to Catholicism. 
I think you might be exaggerating a wee bit here. I don't recall him ever calling it the greatest threat to Catholicism.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Peter J said:
Irish Hermit said:
You are right....He wrote...
".....  the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves
today depends in great part on the collapse of the liturgy."

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Peter J said:
I wonder if we could all agree not to bring in any more new topics on this thread, in the hope that old matters could be settled?
Wishful thinking :laugh:

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
irenikontheskete.blogspot.com
Irish Hermit said:
elijahmaria said:
FatherGiryus said:
Yes, the Pope regulates RC teachings.  He is infallible when he chooses to speak ex cathedra, correct?  Therefore, he has the ultimate veto-power over RC doctrine.

[size=10pt]No he does not have veto power.

Please refer to the Code of Canon Law.  Nothing taught by any Council has any authority until the Supreme Pontiff ratifies it.  That is veto power.

You wrote out the canon and you still don't know what it means or what it says for that matter.

All you see is what you want to see.  You are still on your hobby horse.

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
Irish Hermit said:
elijahmaria said:
NO!  The magisterium is not a corporate structure which requires a CEO.  If you can't get that straight then you have no possible framework for understanding immediate and universal ordinary jurisdiction.  That entire phrase is moderated by the statement in the apostolic constitution that the pope is NOT to replace the power and authority of the local ordinary.  
Yes, but only if the local biship is performing to the satisfaction of the Supreme Pontiff.
Twaddle!!

No...Only if the local bishop holds to the truths of revelation and guides his flock in accord with the laws of Christian morality, and Catholic faith.

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
Personally I most appreciate the way that Arminian Catholics approach Primacy.  Follows a selection of texts from their saints and fathers.  A very different perspective:

http://www.stgregoryarmenian.org/the-armenian-church/primacy/

St. Gregory of Nareg(c. 950 – c.1010) articulated a marvelous and insightful ecclesiology and it is in that context that we must read his understanding of Peter’s primacy.

And his (Jesus Christ) companion of yoke (Cross) and of destiny
The first one, preceding all others and most honoured,
The foundation rock and cornerstone,
The renowned stone beautifully inscribed with the sevenfold confession,
Chosen one,
In the measure -begun and to be fulfilled-
Of sacramental time in this age,
And adorned with glory,
Kephas!
Declared blessed
By the lips of the giver of life,
Made alert and wise
By the beneficence of the Father most high.
Docile in the correct confession
Of the Spirit’s intellection,
He saw the timeless cause
Of the inscrutable birth,
And deservedly 127 was augmented
By the words of the uncreated:
“Blessed are you Simon, scion 128 of Jonah.”
And through him,
To those who hold his same covenant and office,
Was announced the same blessing
From the voice -indescribable gift-
Of the creator. (The Teaching of the Armenian Fathers, p. 385).

St. Nerses Shnorhali (1102-1173) proclaimed this very same Apostolic preaching in its integrity and genuine beauty. The obvious place to begin is his Commentary on Matthew.

Expounding on Peter’s response to his Master’s question, he writes:

Simon the head took the initiative in answering about the theology of the Head, so that no one else might say stupidly what is unfitting and leave an evil memory in this world. Indeed this was the very beginning of things to come and what was going to be said then would endure as constitution and canon to those who followed. This is the reason why the disciple of truth spoke the truth saying: “You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” (Teaching of the Armenian Fathers, p. 389).

Four points are stated in Christ’s investiture, explains Shnorhali. (Ibidem, p. 391-392). The first is Christ the Lord shows himself equal to the Father: “As the Father granted you to know me, similarly I constitute you Rock of the faith,” Secondly, “I shall build my Church on your confession of faith,” The Church, not only the physical building, but the one built from many peoples on the unity of faith as foundation, that is the Lord, and his Apostles. Thirdly, the power of evil -expressed by the image ‘gates of the underworld’-, that is temptations, shall never move this faith, “as the swells of the sea can not move the rock.” Shnorhali exclaims: “Look at the power of the Lord! He made a fisherman harder and firmer than all rocks! Even if the whole world will attack him he will not move.” Fourth, Christ promises to his Apostles the gifts granted to the prophets: the Father had said to Jeremiah “I put you as a pillar of iron, and as a wall of bronze” (Jer. 1:18). for his people; and the Son constitutes Peter the same for the entire world.

Shnorhali concludes with these words, “He elevated Peter to extremely high honour, because the disciple understood the highest things about Him and revealed His person to be the Son of God and promised him authority that belongs only to God, namely
remitting sins and keeping the Church unshakable through all the swells
breaking on her” (Ibidem, p. 391-392).

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
FatherGiryus said:
Also, her response does not take into account the complete phrase 'ordinary and immediate jurisdiction'.
And yours neglects the following:

The magisterium is not a corporate structure which requires a CEO.  If you can't get that straight then you have no possible framework for understanding immediate and universal ordinary jurisdiction.  That entire phrase is moderated by the statement in the apostolic constitution that the pope is NOT to replace the power and authority of the local ordinary. 

You have to take immediate and universal jurisdiction AND the non-replacement statement together and deal with the paradox before you can even begin to imagine how the hierarchy is to work...or not, sometimes.  Bishops can and do defy the pope.  They defy God...Does that nullify God's ultimate authority?  Some non-Christians would say so.

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
FatherGiryus said:
I, for one and as a non-RC, would like to see the RCC return to its more ancient practices.  If we have any hope for reunion, it would be through a more and more traditional RCC.  If they were to progress all the way back to the era of the original schism, I think we could all find reason to overcome the chasm.
I am sure that when Orthodoxy does the same thing, we will watch with interest.  Perhaps even be inspired to respond...in some fashion.

M.

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
FatherGiryus said:
[size=11pt]Mary, I did not say that defying the pope nullified the power of the pope, but it does nullify one's good standing with the RCC.

I gotta tell you then, there's a boatload of bishops in the Catholic Church who ain't got the memo!!

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
So, why not just dump the whole notion of Petrine supremacy and declare all bishops be equal?  That seems to be the implication of what you are saying... 

elijahmaria said:
FatherGiryus said:
[size=11pt]Mary, I did not say that defying the pope nullified the power of the pope, but it does nullify one's good standing with the RCC.

I gotta tell you then, there's a boatload of bishops in the Catholic Church who ain't got the memo!!