• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

is this the same guy?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
In Luke 7, we read of the faith of the centuries whose servant Christ healed.  Is there any tradition in the church that he is the same centurion who was present at the Crucifixion?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
The centurion in the crucifixion is St. Longinus, I can't find anything relating him to the one in Luke 7. Actually, I never found anything at all about the latter, whom for some reason I believed to have learned to be St. Cornelius.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
He was Ernest Borgnine.  ;)    Really, I do not know.  There were a considerable number of centurions around.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Gamliel said:
He was Ernest Borgnine.  ;)    Really, I do not know.  There were a considerable number of centurions around.
Of course. I was just thinking that it wouldn't be too much of  a leap to assume they would be one and the same.  The centurion's faith later leads him to acknowledge the man crucified before him was innocent of any crime.  However, if the tradition of the church doesn't support that, then it's a moot issue.