Is your choir director and/or protopsaltis a paid position at your church?

Does your parish have either or both your choir director and head chanter as a paid position?

• Yes for both

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes for one

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
scamandrius said:
^Yes, but there's a lack of continuity.  Plus, rehearsals have pretty much gone by the wayside for the past couple of years and it shows on Sunday mornings.
Paying someone won't change that.

An honest talk about things with the director and the priest is what
Might.

Aren't you the protopsaltis?
Financial incentive means that the person receiving the money has to justify it and the congregation is not going to tolerate their investment not getting a proper return.  Our priest seems content with mediocrity; if he has spoken with her about the issues, I have yet to see anything change for the better.

I am not the protos.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
DeniseDenise said:
scamandrius said:
^Yes, but there's a lack of continuity.  Plus, rehearsals have pretty much gone by the wayside for the past couple of years and it shows on Sunday mornings.

Might.

Financial incentive means that the person receiving the money has to justify it and the congregation is not going to tolerate their investment not getting a proper return.  Our priest seems content with mediocrity; if he has spoken with her about the issues, I have yet to see anything change for the better.

I am not the protos.
Well then. You are solving a problem that no one else in your parish is trying to solve

Good luck with that

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
If the congregation is fully involved in trying to resolve this problem, why not have a meeting together to learn the hymns rather than pay someone to direct them?  And then have them become dedicated parents to bring their kids to learn these same hymns.  Have the congregation become the choir.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
scamandrius said:
DeniseDenise said:
scamandrius said:

Might.

I am not the protos.
Well then. You are solving a problem that no one else in your parish is trying to solve

Good luck with that
When I started this thread, I asked  simple questions:  "Is your choir director and/or protos paid? If so, how much? What is the size of your parish and to which jurisdiction do you belong?"  There are issues which you are not aware of. Just because my priest does not address the issue does not make it less of one.  So, just answer the question and if you want to venture your opinion on any future thread of mine, I will just say that your input is neither requested nor required.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
If the congregation is fully involved in trying to resolve this problem, why not have a meeting together to learn the hymns rather than pay someone to direct them?  And then have them become dedicated parents to bring their kids to learn these same hymns.  Have the congregation become the choir.
They have to be willing to be taught and they are not willing.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Throwing money at the problem is only a short term solution I think. Prepare the next generation then.  Have the parents bring their kids to hymns learning.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Again. You are solving a problem for a group that does not want the problem solved. Or doesn't see the same level of problem as you do

That seems a futile effort until others in control of such things want to change them

Ps. You cannot dictate who answers threads.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
You seem to not see eye to eye on Liturgy with your pastor as you have posted similar threads.  For your sake you need to accept it or find a new parish.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
The choir leader in my parish is the retired priest's matushka.  There is also a lady that is kind of a co-director.  Both get a small stipend because if one isn't there, the other is.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
God bless you.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Throwing money at the problem is only a short term solution I think. Prepare the next generation then.  Have the parents bring their kids to hymns learning.
Ugh, but the kids have soccer practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Mondays are always booked with tutoring and Wednesdays they visit yiayia and Fridays always has soccer matches and Saturdays are the only days we even get to relax, but the kids sre so noisy so we send them to the mall and the Sundays after church there are usually soccer matches or visiting with friends.....

Anecdotally, in my parish....

The kids aren't really interested.  If they are, the parents aren't going to drive them to something that they haven't paid for.  Also, at my parish, there isn't any training and practice is only 15 minutes before the Hours in Sundays.  Rather than monetary investment in directors, what's needed is time investment with people willing to put the work in, even if it means studying and learning with free online resources about how to read music or training voices.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
minasoliman said:
Ugh, but the kids have soccer practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Mondays are always booked with tutoring and Wednesdays they visit yiayia and Fridays always has soccer matches and Saturdays are the only days we even get to relax, but the kids sre so noisy so we send them to the mall and the Sundays after church there are usually soccer matches or visiting with friends.....

Anecdotally, in my parish....

The kids aren't really interested.  If they are, the parents aren't going to drive them to something that they haven't paid for.  Also, at my parish, there isn't any training and practice is only 15 minutes before the Hours in Sundays.  Rather than monetary investment in directors, what's needed is time investment with people willing to put the work in, even if it means studying and learning with free online resources about how to read music or training voices.
Oh yea, I know about soccer practices, but they're usually Sunday mornings, which are more important than liturgy.  :p

If they're not interested in hymns, they'll not be interested in liturgy.  And the future of the parish will be dire.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I try not to get annoyed, but it's sad that a 25+year old parish still handles a choir like its a 5 person mission.  Even better, when I hear the choir of a mission parish that sounds like they actually train and practice (unpaid and non-professionals, just people putting time in); it makes me glad for their parish, but sad for mine.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
We are thinking that to help improve the quality of music at our parish for all services that the choir director and/or protpsaltis should be paid.  In addition to answering the poll, please indicate the size of your parish, the jurisdiction, and, if possible, what the compensation may be.  Thanks.
To the OP, money will probably not help the issue.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
I try not to get annoyed, but it's sad that a 25+year old parish still handles a choir like its a 5 person mission.  Even better, when I hear the choir of a mission parish that sounds like they actually train and practice (unpaid and non-professionals, just people putting time in); it makes me glad for their parish, but sad for mine.
Consider it an ascetic exercise. When we first moved to my city, I was in despair at the prospect of sitting under the sound of a bad choir for years to come. But in the event I haven't suffered from it at all. God gave grace. (Yes, I know this probably makes me sound selfish and melodramatic.) Remember, we are always accompanied invisibly in our worship by a choir of angels.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
We are thinking that to help improve the quality of music at our parish for all services that the choir director and/or protpsaltis should be paid.  In addition to answering the poll, please indicate the size of your parish, the jurisdiction, and, if possible, what the compensation may be.  Thanks.
I do not know about the protopsaltis. The choir director receives $3600/year. I do not know the number of members, but the pledged stewards is around 160 (individuals or families). GOAA, with a largely American congregation (converts and 2nd-4th generation Greeks). Hope this helps.

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
No to both, but we are very small, about 20-30 including children for the main monthly service and half that at other times, so it wouldn't be sustainable. Jurisdiction is Moscow Patriarchate.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
The choir director and protopsaltis are paid positions at my church.  Protopsaltis makes $40K and choir director makes $20K.  I'm in GOAA, about 800 families.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Again, they are unwilling; the kids, too.