• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

ITT: Revelations Within the Mystery of Confession

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Second-to-last confession I was at I was kneeling and got a cramp in my leg during the prayers at the end, and I tried to just soldier through it but couldn't and had to re-adjust and got into a genuflecting position. Afterwards I explained what happened and Fr. said something like "oh, ok, I was wondering." I don't know what the advice is exactly, but I'm sure there's something helpful in there somewhere about the redemptive value of suffering.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Asteriktos said:
Second-to-last confession I was at I was kneeling and got a cramp in my leg during the prayers at the end,
I've had alot of confessions that were either kneeling or bending at the waist. Probably all of them were that way.

In one Greek church that I confessed at twice though, before the absolution as I described above, the confession was practically a quiet discussion sitting next to the priest in a front pew. I don't know how many of you have ever done it that way before. During the discussion, I almost always looked straight at the iconostasis and away from the priest. It was either because I unknowingly felt awkward describing my actions or because I am used to confessing while facing at an ikon. I feel more comfortable doing the latter.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
"Don't isolate yourself further.  This is a temptation."

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
rakovsky said:
Asteriktos said:
Second-to-last confession I was at I was kneeling and got a cramp in my leg during the prayers at the end,
I've had alot of confessions that were either kneeling or bending at the waist. Probably all of them were that way.

In one Greek church that I confessed at twice though, before the absolution as I described above, the confession was practically a quiet discussion sitting next to the priest in a front pew. I don't know how many of you have ever done it that way before. During the discussion, I almost always looked straight at the iconostasis and away from the priest. It was either because I unknowingly felt awkward describing my actions or because I am used to confessing while facing at an ikon. I feel more comfortable doing the latter.
That's the Greek way, for better or worse. Though last time it was in his office and the opening and absolution were in the icon corner.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Justin Kolodziej said:
rakovsky said:
Asteriktos said:

That's the Greek way, for better or worse. Though last time it was in his office and the opening and absolution were in the icon corner.
It happens also in Poland and Romania.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
For the first time in my confessing history, the priest (AANA) told me, "This is a good confession," before praying for absolution.  This was not my regular confessor.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The Nativity Fast is coming!  Have you been to Confession recently?

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Once after I finished confessing, the priest leaned towards me, looking concerned. "Are you on drugs?" he asked.

"No, father," I told him truthfully.

Never gonna forget that one. It was in highschool. I don't know if I just looked like the type or if he asked that to everyone my age.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
During my last confession I was encouraged to agree with "Men's rights" talking points and had a popular book along those lines recommended to me.

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com
Faith
Old Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
Asteriktos said:
During my last confession I was encouraged to agree with "Men's rights" talking points and had a popular book along those lines recommended to me.
Seriously? That stuff is plain not Orthodox.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
I did.  The priest was giving me guidance after my confessing my sins and he lost the train of thought and apologized for mumbling.  I had to correct him that each of his words were reaching my heart, correcting and comforting me at the same time, on struggles that I hadn't mentioned.  TFW God is using the priest to talk to you and he doesn't realize it.  :angel:

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
platypus said:
Once after I finished confessing, the priest leaned towards me, looking concerned. "Are you on drugs?" he asked.

"No, father," I told him truthfully.

Never gonna forget that one. It was in highschool. I don't know if I just looked like the type or if he asked that to everyone my age.
LOL

I have been asked this by policemen I had just summoned to report a mugging once, but I was just too nervous and confused by the situation. They ended up not even believing my statement.  :-\

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Sharbel said:
I did.  The priest was giving me guidance after my confessing my sins and he lost the train of thought and apologized for mumbling.  I had to correct him that each of his words were reaching my heart, correcting and comforting me at the same time, on struggles that I hadn't mentioned.  TFW God is using the priest to talk to you and he doesn't realize it.  :angel:
How is a confession valid if your holding back on struggles?

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Tzimis said:
Not all struggles are matters for confession.  Or do you confess your struggle between cheesecake and hazelnut pie?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Sharbel said:
Tzimis said:
Not all struggles are matters for confession.  Or do you confess your struggle between cheesecake and hazelnut pie?
Peach pie with vanilla ice cream or cheesecake with blackberry sauce.  What a spiritual conundrum.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
hecma925 said:
Peach pie with vanilla ice cream or cheesecake with blackberry sauce.  What a spiritual conundrum.
Father, bless!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Sharbel said:
hecma925 said:
Father, bless!
Is peach and blackberry not fruit?  Be at piece (of pie).

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
And so the pastries said, "For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up" (Ps. 69:9)

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Asteriktos said:
And so the pastries said, "For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up" (Ps. 69:9)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
"Is that it?"

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
My priest recently told me that because I have a medical condition, seizures resulting from a stroke, I could eat a little more calories than usual during a fast.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
hecma925 said:
In this thread, please reveal advice given to you by your confessor without any context!

I was told to pray the Jesus Prayer more often. 

I'll let you decide for what reason.

Forgive me, but I don't like this icon.

Selam

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
What is there to forgive?  There are plenty of icons I don't like.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
"Do spiritual reading to help motivate prayer."

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Recently I went through my first confession. I don't want to over spiritualize the experience itself, but it was quite surreal. During the confession, it seemed like an other-worldly event. Quite humbling.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
"Humble yourself."

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith