• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

ITT: We post maps

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
I keep hearing that we have more Metal bands than pretty much anywhere else yet I hardly ever find anything interesting to listen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe I'm getting old.

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Caliphate of The Overthere...
The Observable Universe, left click for options to get larger view.

Explanation: How far can you see? Everything you can see, and everything you could possibly see, right now, assuming your eyes could detect all types of radiations around you -- is the observable universe. In light, the farthest we can see comes from the cosmic microwave background, a time 13.8 billion years ago when the universe was opaque like thick fog. Some neutrinos and gravitational waves that surround us come from even farther out, but humanity does not yet have the technology to detect them. The featured image illustrates the observable universe on an increasingly compact scale, with the Earth and Sun at the center surrounded by our Solar System, nearby stars, nearby galaxies, distant galaxies, filaments of early matter, and the cosmic microwave background. Cosmologists typically assume that our observable universe is just the nearby part of a greater entity known as "the universe" where the same physics applies. However, there are several lines of popular but speculative reasoning that assert that even our universe is part of a greater multiverse where either different physical constants occur, different physical laws apply, higher dimensions operate, or slightly different-by-chance versions of our standard universe exist.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
On the other side of the same coin, Brazil has been getting extremely cold and rainy days in a seemingly random pattern since the heat blows polar wind masses in our direction. And winter hasn't even begun yet... This picture was taken in Rio de Janeiro:

Fr.Andrei

Reaction score
One doesn't think of cold weather and Brazil together, but you are in the Southern Hemisphere. Plus, the earth has undergone many climate
changes. Greenland, for example, really was green when discovered by the Vikings 1000 years ago.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
One doesn't think of cold weather and Brazil together, but you are in the Southern Hemisphere. Plus, the earth has undergone many climate
changes. Greenland, for example, really was green when discovered by the Vikings 1000 years ago.
IDK, father, my scientific insights on anthropogenic climate change aren't deep enough to refute deniers, but they're enough to quiet my general distrust on mainstream institutions.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Cartel war in Brazil, between Comando Vermelho and Primeiro Comando da Capital. This map seems to take proxy wars fought by their respective allies into account. In this sense I think Espírito Santo, the light blue state on the coast, might be light red nowadays, since their major cartel switched sides.

Last edited:

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Nice to be popular. :)

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Even Turkey? Geez.
Poland had most of today's Western Ukraine and the Ottomans had most of today's Romania, in very stable terms. Even before both had to worry about a unified Russian power.

Poland was a huge deal before WW2. Apart from the general human and economic trauma, the Katyn massacre was an effective decapitation, that is, a huge part of the intellectual elite was exterminated by the Soviets. The Ottomans also did it to the Armenians before resorting to full-blown genocide, the Janissary rebels did it to the Serbs.

These things can be irreversibly destructive. Without a native intelligentsia there is little hope. This is why the brain drain is such a huge worry for developing countries and Eastern Europe, too.

Last edited:

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Harry Potter wizarding schools
No name for Arab school, what a pity

Source

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Huh. See I would have thought eastern TX would have been the exact opposite... but now that I look on google maps I can see my mistake (ie. it's much more heavily forested than I realised)

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Which country has the most Attractive People according to Europe

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
The countries in blue have a smaller population than Uttar Pradesh (in red, a state in India)

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Percentage of vegetarians in every state of India