• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Jeet Kune Do

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Has anyone here trained in Jeet Kune Do (截拳道)?

This is the next style of Kung Fu I will be taking on, and I was wondering if anyone had advice.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
If it's not related to Dan Inosanto, run the other direction.

JKD, the "philosophy" of Bruce Lee, was originally intended to be an eclectic mix of training techniques, similar to modern Mixed Martial Arts or, if you prefer a more LARP/violence nerd alternative, Krav Maga.

The Inosanto lineage still goes by the MMA style idea, although according to an instructor of mine, they often bring in a disproportionate amount of Filipino martial arts. Which are a lot of fun.

If a particular school doesn't have Alive Training, of course, run the other direction.

Yes, Orthonorm, I know you think it's all LARPing regardless.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
From my youth, I was trained in the deadly art of Nin Ten Do.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
That's older then 90% of the martial arts in this country... (seriously)

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
If it's not related to Dan Inosanto, run the other direction.

JKD, the "philosophy" of Bruce Lee, was originally intended to be an eclectic mix of training techniques, similar to modern Mixed Martial Arts or, if you prefer a more LARP/violence nerd alternative, Krav Maga.

The Inosanto lineage still goes by the MMA style idea, although according to an instructor of mine, they often bring in a disproportionate amount of Filipino martial arts. Which are a lot of fun.

If a particular school doesn't have Alive Training, of course, run the other direction.

Yes, Orthonorm, I know you think it's all LARPing regardless.
Sifu is an adamant professor of Aliveness, been doing it since day 1 with White Crane style.

Sifu was trained by Yip Man in Wing Chun, so I know this will carry over to his teachings. He himself trained and sparred with Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto, so he has experienced it from The Master in first hand.

You say it is similar to MMA? That is good, I have done that for a few years as well. :)

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
I pretty much echo everything Nicholas had to say.  Get ready for some eye gouging and crotch kicking! 

Like you said, my trainer (Sifu, whatever) added a lot of Kali in.  Seems Bruce Lee would've approved.  Or at least Inosanto and his disciples say so.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
When I saw the thread title, I assumed there'd been a coup in North Korea.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
Sorry, I only know a bit of Aikido.
There is an Orthodox guy in town who teaches this.  I will start Aikido once he finds a place for us all to do it at.

Until then, G'lock-fu has served me well.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Therefore your childhood was seriously awesome.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
Asteriktos said:
Iconodule said:
That's older then 90% of the martial arts in this country... (seriously)
Since Nintendo was founded in 1889, that's probably true.
I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't  8)