• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Jesuits publish list/timeline of priests "credibly accused" of abuse in Alaska

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
At first blush, I'd say about a quarter of them are pre-Vatican II fwiw.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2018/12/26/the-list-these-are-the-priests-who-were-credibly-accused-of-sexual-abuse-across-alaska/?fbclid=IwAR1wSmW_HTZiyMCp70VslCuRhI9b1bYWgLxXuQt4hSanhrBmd5-V2Jz2VeU

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
To really measure the credibility of the Vatican II association, you’d have to do more work than simply look at pre and post-VII clergy. The results of the Council had to come from somewhere, after all. My guess is any such study would never measure up to both sides’ “standards.”

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
To really measure the credibility of the Vatican II association, you’d have to do more work than simply look at pre and post-VII clergy. The results of the Council had to come from somewhere, after all. My guess is any such study would never measure up to both sides’ “standards.”
Yeah I know. My instinct is that VII had little to do with it. I think the culprit for the proportionally high number of cases is, and let me stress this, a combination of celibacy (and the related issue of pedophiles thinking that becoming a priest and suffering through the vows will somehow help cure their illness) and a "circle the wagons" mentality on the part of the bishops (a problem which also shows up in other large institutions like police departments) that both intimidates victims/critics and hides perpetrators. But it's hard to really prove anything.

I was just pointing it out for the sake of Mor and others that might want to know.