• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Jurisdiction in the Antiochian Church

dcointin

Reaction score
I was hoping to be given some clarification about the authority that the Patriarch of Antioch and the Metropolitan wield over the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church of North America (which I'm a member of).  What exactly is the relationship of the AOCCNA to Antioch?  What authority does the Patriarch wield over it?  What authority does the metropolitan wield over it?  For example, could the Patriarch depose the metropolitan?  Could the metropolitan depose a bishop?  Thank you!

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
dcointin said:
I was hoping to be given some clarification about the authority that the Patriarch of Antioch and the Metropolitan wield over the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church of North America (which I'm a member of).  What exactly is the relationship of the AOCCNA to Antioch?  What authority does the Patriarch wield over it?  What authority does the metropolitan wield over it?  For example, could the Patriarch depose the metropolitan?  Could the metropolitan depose a bishop?  Thank you!
The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America is part of the Patriarchate of Antioch, and the Metropolitan of the Archdiocese is a member of the Holy Synod of the Patriarchate. At the present, there Archdiocese has a ruling bishop, the Metropolitan, who is assisted by a number of auxiliary bishops. As for who can depose whom, such actions are reserved to Holy Synods. However, a ruling bishop has the inherent authority to transfer or reassign his auxiliary bishops within the boundaries of his see, unless some other arrangement has been made.