• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Kathisma 18 at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts- Sung or Read?

Is the Kathisma at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts Sung or Read at your parish?

• Sung

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Read

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Christ is Risen!

I know that this may be a little too late, now with Bright Week already progressing, but I noticed that OCA parishes sing the kathisma at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts (usually Kathisma 18 "Unto the Lord in mine affliction did I cry/In my distress I cried to the Lord"), along with some parishes of the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA, but ROCOR and MP parishes in Russia read it instead. Is there a reason behind this difference in practices? Are there some editions of the Typikon that call for singing it, or is singing the kathisma a Carpatho-Rusyn tradition that crept into OCA/Patriarchal Parishes from the Rusyn parishioners that joined the Metropolia after leaving the Greek Catholics (Rusyn Greek Catholics, as well as ACROD have a very strong tradition of congregational singing, singing even those parts of the services that would normally be read by the reader)?

Thank you!

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
I do not know what their Typika specify; but practice I have observed is that the Kathisma is spoken in the AOA (while almost everybody stands for the "sitting Psalms"); and that it is chanted in the Serbian parishes (with almost everyone sitting).

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Just one thing do clarify: by "reading" do you mean the psalms being spoken r a bit chanted (a kind of melorecitation)?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
I've always chanted it.  Not sure if this is correct, but my priest hasn't thrown a book at me for it yet.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
OCA parish read/chanted, not sung.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
vamrat said:
I've always chanted it.  Not sure if this is correct, but my priest hasn't thrown a book at me for it yet.
I think I know what you mean, but given the question that Dominika is asking...

Dominika said:
Just one thing do clarify: by "reading" do you mean the psalms being spoken r a bit chanted (a kind of melorecitation)?
In our parish when we say "read" it mean plain chanted, and if anything is said to "chanted" it means that it is sung

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Dominika said:
By reading, I mean chanting in the traditional manner used for the Hours/Six Psalms or Scripture Readings (recitative chanting on one note).

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
ilyazhito said:
Dominika said:
By reading, I mean chanting in the traditional manner used for the Hours/Six Psalms or Scripture Readings (recitative chanting on one note).
OK, I've asked, because, indeed, here in Polish Orthodox Church we use "reading" for the recitative chanting, but some certains prayers are just really read (i. e. said), e.g. the prayers before the Communion, prayers on the kneeling Vespers on the Pentecost Sunday, some prayers during the minor blessing of the water etc.

Moreover, there are different melodies for the OT Readings, for NT readings and for psalms/prayers, even there are more differentations (e.g six psalms, but unfortunately it's almost forgotten here).

So, here in Poland the kathisma 18th is read (recitative chant), however in slower manner than other psalms - that's what I've been learnt to do, since at least a few times I read this kathisma during the Lenten Liturgies.