• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Katie Holmes to divorce Tom Cruise over Scientology

GTAsoldier

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian and failing at it
Katie Holmes filed for divorce primarily over Tom Cruise's fierce ties to Scientology, fearing that Tom would drag Suri deep into the church ... sources connected with the couple tell TMZ.

Sources familiar with the split tell us Katie is filing for sole legal custody -- as we first reported -- specifically because she does not want Tom to control decisions relating to religion.
Case in point, Katie doesn't want her child to be a Scientologist. So, she's seeking sole custody of her child.

- GTA

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox OCA
GTAsoldier said:
Katie Holmes filed for divorce primarily over Tom Cruise's fierce ties to Scientology, fearing that Tom would drag Suri deep into the church ... sources connected with the couple tell TMZ.

Sources familiar with the split tell us Katie is filing for sole legal custody -- as we first reported -- specifically because she does not want Tom to control decisions relating to religion.
Case in point, Katie doesn't want her child to be a Scientologist. So, she's seeking sole custody of her child.

- GTA
Translation: An immature whiny dink falls head-over-heels for a ding-a-ling; discovers source of ding-a-lingness (after the fact!) and files for divorce.  The REAL problem?  Little child stuck in middle.  Clowns to the left of her, jokers to the right...   

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
And people think Orthodoxy is cultish...Orthodoxy's got nothing on Scientology.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever really looked into Scientology?

It's very interesting in the weirdest way possible.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Achronos said:
Have you ever really looked into Scientology?

It's very interesting in the weirdest way possible.
For humor:
Scientology's L. Ron Hubbard: Kooky Wacky Crazy Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leBn2p170Sg

More seriously, you can research the relation between Scientology and Aleister Crowley.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
IIRC, her mother had been rather upset when Katie married Cruise. 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I would too. He's a wacko.

I still love him as an actor though.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Achronos said:
He's a wacko.

One comment was that the movie he did with Nicole Kidman Eyes Wide Shut was related to Scientology, because of the cultish aspects: High profile people, including top celebrities who secretly engage in cult rituals. There were also stories about orgies in Scientology, but I doubt whether they were widespread.

I also saw a clip a few years ago on youtube where he was wearing jeans and talking about himself in a straightforward way. It appeared to be a scene from a movie. Does anyone remember this? I don't remember it from Vanilla Sky, but the scene reminds me of something more from that movie or from Magnolia than other movies of his I saw.

I remember thinking that it's as if he was describing his experience or personality in relation to scientology and that made it humorous. But of course I doubt he would make a critical portrayal like that knowingly in a movie.

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Latin Church
scamandrius said:
And people think Orthodoxy is cultish...Orthodoxy's got nothing on Scientology.
Who thinks Orthodoxy is cultish?  ???

Carefree T

Reaction score
I hope she returns to her Catholicism and raises their child in it. It's unfortunate that the child will have to live in a broken family, but if she can raised with Christ and not in a cult, then this is overjoyous news.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Achronos said:
LizaSymonenko said:

Only when a great director is pulling the strings: Kubrik, P. T. Anderson . . .

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
rakovsky said:
Achronos said:
He's a wacko.

One comment was that the movie he did with Nicole Kidman Eyes Wide Shut was related to Scientology, because of the cultish aspects: High profile people, including top celebrities who secretly engage in cult rituals. There were also stories about orgies in Scientology, but I doubt whether they were widespread.

I also saw a clip a few years ago on youtube where he was wearing jeans and talking about himself in a straightforward way. It appeared to be a scene from a movie. Does anyone remember this? I don't remember it from Vanilla Sky, but the scene reminds me of something more from that movie or from Magnolia than other movies of his I saw.

I remember thinking that it's as if he was describing his experience or personality in relation to scientology and that made it humorous. But of course I doubt he would make a critical portrayal like that knowingly in a movie.
The Schnitzler work that movie is very closely based on, Traumnovella, predates Scientology by quite a bit. Now if you want to argue that Schnitzler and Freud influenced each other a lot and that Hubbard got a lot of his ideas from odd post-Freudians, maybe.

But neither Kubrik nor Schnitzler would have ever had anything to do with such nonsense.

Great text. Great movie. Nothing to do with Scientology though, at least in any meaningful sense. It did end that marriage. Kubrik saw to that.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
GTAsoldier said:

- GTA
But then her kids could shoot lightning into Oprah Winfrey's hands.  (Lol youtube it)

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
orthonorm said:
rakovsky said:
Achronos said:
He's a wacko.

The Schnitzler work that movie is very closely based on, Traumnovella, predates Scientology by quite a bit. Now if you want to argue that Schnitzler and Freud influenced each other a lot and that Hubbard got a lot of his ideas from odd post-Freudians, maybe.

But neither Kubrik nor Schnitzler would have ever had anything to do with such nonsense.

Great text. Great movie. Nothing to do with Scientology though, at least in any meaningful sense. It did end that marriage. Kubrik saw to that.
Orthonorm,

Interesting remarks by you showing that it preceded Hubbard. Now perhaps there could be a relation between Scientology and Kubrik's decision to make the movie or use Cruise, but not necessarily. On another note, do you think the movie is based on reality, where there is some weird occult group run by the world's elites? Is it talking about Masonic leadership or something, maybe?

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
GTAsoldier said:
yeshuaisiam said:
But then her kids could shoot lightning into Oprah Winfrey's hands.  (Lol youtube it)
Don't need to. :)

Ironically this was the clip for where Cruise first met Katie publicly in relation to their marriage.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox OCA

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Plenty of Protestants.
Plenty of Orthodox too, who aren't comfortable with Orthodoxy in its more traditional forms.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
rakovsky said:
orthonorm said:
rakovsky said:
Achronos said:
He's a wacko.

Orthonorm,

Interesting remarks by you showing that it preceded Hubbard. Now perhaps there could be a relation between Scientology and Kubrik's decision to make the movie or use Cruise, but not necessarily. On another note, do you think the movie is based on reality, where there is some weird occult group run by the world's elites? Is it talking about Masonic leadership or something, maybe?

Unfortunately, I could expand on this for probably a book or at least a few dozen pages.

[redacted attempt at a quick explanation of the text and film]

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Way to go. Fixing one sin (marrying an apostate) with another sin (divorce). Isn't she a saint? ::)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
JamesR said:
Way to go. Fixing one sin (marrying an apostate) with another sin (divorce). Isn't she a saint? ::)
James, you are losing your edge here.

Not only are you wrong.
You didn't make me read at least 1,200 words.
You are being boorish.
You used isn't.

Agabus

The user formerly known as Agabus
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
JamesR said:
Your posts make me laugh at least twice a day.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Tom Cruise has admitted that Katie Holmes filed for divorce in part because of his involvement in the controversial Church of Scientology.
During his deposition...for his $50 million defamation case against Bauer media (whose magazines claimed he abandoned his daughter Suri Cruise), the 51-year-old actor first exploded with anger when asked if Holmes left him "in part to protect Suri from Scientology."
But when lawyers pushed the question again, asking if his ex-wife ever indicated that she left because of the religion or because she wanted to protect their daughter from Scientology, Cruise responded:

"Did she say that? That was one of the assertions, yes."

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shiny said:

In case anyone cares, this was in jest.

I hope he takes care of himself after the divorce, I remember seeing some pictures floating around once the news broke and he looked really shaken up.

I dunno he seems to me like a classy guy from what I've seen, but you know religion will make anything good turn into bad, especially if it becomes a struggle in a marriage with children.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Shiny said:
I hope he takes care of himself after the divorce, I remember seeing some pictures floating around once the news broke and he looked really shaken up.
Last I remember seeing on him was on the Graham Norton show, several months ago, promoting Oblivion. He looked really chipper, but then he's a pro.

Complete show

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Shiny said:
Last I remember seeing on him was on the Graham Norton show, several months ago, promoting Oblivion. He looked really chipper, but then he's a pro.

Complete show
I need you, need you
Outside I'm masquerading
Inside my hope is fading
Just a clown oh yeah
Since you put me down
My smile is my make up
I wear since my break up with you
So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer, it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Point of correction to the thread title: Hasn't the divorce already been finalized? If so, why speak of the divorce as if it's still in process? IOW, Katie Holmes has already filed for divorce, so what she's really trying TO do is claim sole custody of their daughter.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Faith
Convertodox
Jurisdiction
Netodoxy
PeterTheAleut said:
Point of correction to the thread title: Hasn't the divorce already been finalized? If so, why speak of the divorce as if it's still in process? IOW, Katie Holmes has already filed for divorce, so what she's really trying TO do is claim sole custody of their daughter.
Ah, but when the thread was originally created, the divorce was still current.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
FormerReformer said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Ah, but when the thread was originally created, the divorce was still current.
Okay, good point. ;)

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
CANTERBURY, England (RNS) Britain’s highest court ruled Wednesday (Dec. 11) that Scientology is a religion, giving a 25-year old-woman and her fiance the legal rights to marry at the church’s headquarters in London.

Louisa Hodkin appealed to the Supreme Court after a lower court ruled that services run by Scientologists were not acts of worship.

In his ruling, Supreme Court Justice Lord Roger Toulson wrote that religions should not be confined to those with belief in a supreme deity. “To do so would be a form of religious discrimination unacceptable in today’s society,” he said.