• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Keeping Kosher and other Jewish practices

Altar Server

High Elder
Reaction score
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I have a friend at work who is currently in the process of becoming an Orthodox Jew. He was raised baptist and later in life became affiliated with the IHOP(International House of Prayer) movement, from there he became involved with Messianic Judaism. He has stated to me several times that one of his main issues with Christianity is that we as Christians do not keep the all the commandments stated in the Talmud(namely keeping kosher, but also not covering our heads in prayer(for males anyway)) I have brought up the council of Jerusalem several times and he concedes that this erases the necessity of Gentiles keeping the law but his argument then is that those of Jewish ancestry are still obligated to fulfill the requirements of the law(he is not ethnically Jewish but has convinced himself he is)This is sadly where I am at a loss for words, how do I explain to him that Christ fulfilled the Law and therefore we are no longer bound by those requirements placed by God on the people of Israel? are there any Fathers who address this issue? I hate to just stand by and watch him apostatize. I feel as if I must do something.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Altar Server said:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I have a friend at work who is currently in the process of becoming an Orthodox Jew. He was raised baptist and later in life became affiliated with the IHOP(International House of Prayer) movement, from there he became involved with Messianic Judaism. He has stated to me several times that one of his main issues with Christianity is that we as Christians do not keep the all the commandments stated in the Talmud(namely keeping kosher, but also not covering our heads in prayer(for males anyway)) I have brought up the council of Jerusalem several times and he concedes that this erases the necessity of Gentiles keeping the law but his argument then is that those of Jewish ancestry are still obligated to fulfill the requirements of the law(he is not ethnically Jewish but has convinced himself he is)This is sadly where I am at a loss for words, how do I explain to him that Christ fulfilled the Law and therefore we are no longer bound by those requirements placed by God on the people of Israel? are there any Fathers who address this issue? I hate to just stand by and watch him apostatize. I feel as if I must do something.
There's the section in Acts (or is it one of Paul's epistles?) which covers the matter of Judaizing.

Altar Server

High Elder
Reaction score
LBK said:
Altar Server said:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

There's the section in Acts (or is it one of Paul's epistles?) which covers the matter of Judaizing.
I point out Act(especially the council of Jerusalem) all the time and he agrees with me that Gentiles are not bound by the old law but that those who are already Jewish are because Christ did not abolish the law.

Reaction score
Christ did, however, fulfil the law which could not perfect man or save him.
Saint Peter had a dream where he saw a cloth descending from heaven with a the foods he as a Jew was forbidden to eat and understood God'scommandments that Christians were not bound by the old law.
The new law of Love is far more demanding.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Altar Server said:
LBK said:
Altar Server said:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I point out Act(especially the council of Jerusalem) all the time and he agrees with me that Gentiles are not bound by the old law but that those who are already Jewish are because Christ did not abolish the law.
He is converting to Orthodox Judaism while still caring what Christ did or said? Orthodox Jews are Pharisees and Jesus had some serious problems with Pharisees. He should ask his rabbi what he thinks about Jesus.

Theophilos78

Archon
Reaction score
Altar Server said:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

If Messianic Judaism was not enough for him, he must have some other issues with Christianity.

It can be nice to keep the Kosher, yet Yeshua declared most rules of the Mosaic Law a burden on the elected nation. Ask your friend to read the parable of the workers in the vineyard (Matityahu 20:1-16).

Christina

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Altar Server said:
how do I explain to him that Christ fulfilled the Law and therefore we are no longer bound by those requirements placed by God on the people of Israel?
What does he have to say about Romans 71-6?  "Do you not know, brothers--for I am speaking to men who know the law--that the law has authority over a man only as long as he lives?...But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Altar Server said:
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I have a friend at work who is currently in the process of becoming an Orthodox Jew. He was raised baptist and later in life became affiliated with the IHOP(International House of Prayer) movement, from there he became involved with Messianic Judaism. He has stated to me several times that one of his main issues with Christianity is that we as Christians do not keep the all the commandments stated in the Talmud... I hate to just stand by and watch him apostatize. I feel as if I must do something.
I don't get why he has to give up the Messianic Judaism if his biggest issue is Christianity's relationship to the ancient rituals.

Rabbi Kaduri was a leading Orthodox Rabbi who apparently accepted Christianity.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/11/famous-rabbis-mystery-solved-or-not
Perhaps your friend will find this notable. I did. There are interviews online about Kaduri's students where they talk about Jesus.

Granted, in my view Christianity does point to leaving ancient rituals behind as Peter's vision shows, but I am open to considering other views, at least regarding the Jews.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Christina said:
Altar Server said:
how do I explain to him that Christ fulfilled the Law and therefore we are no longer bound by those requirements placed by God on the people of Israel?
What does he have to say about Romans 71-6?  "Do you not know, brothers--for I am speaking to men who know the law--that the law has authority over a man only as long as he lives?...But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."
Not sure if this applies, but the word Torah means "instructions" not "law".