• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Kenyan Christianity

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Is alcohol anyhow taboo among Kenyan/African Christians?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
When I met a few during their stay in Poland, they drink. Not much but did it.

Actually, for two of them it was the first time they drank alcohol (they were 18 or something).

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Mods, could you move this to the public forums? I don't think this is anyhow controversial and I don't know why I placed it here in the first place.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
Mods, could you move this to the public forums? I don't think this is anyhow controversial and I don't know why I placed it here in the first place.
Done.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ndigila said:
Alpo said:
Nope
Is there any variety between EOs/OOs, Protestants and Catholics? I met a (Charismatic?) Catholic who seemed horrified by the idea that even priests and monks/nuns can drink beer and who claimed that in her home country (Kenya) no proper Christian drink any alcohol. Especially in case of small villages.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
I met EOrthodox only.

Jason.Wike

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpo said:
ndigila said:
Alpo said:
Nope
Is there any variety between EOs/OOs, Protestants and Catholics? I met a (Charismatic?) Catholic who seemed horrified by the idea that even priests and monks/nuns can drink beer and who claimed that in her home country (Kenya) no proper Christian drink any alcohol. Especially in case of small villages.
Most probably Victorian teetotaler influence, and probably influenced by the Methodist strains.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Jason.Wike said:
Alpo said:
ndigila said:
Alpo said:
Nope
Most probably Victorian teetotaler influence, and probably influenced by the Methodist strains.
Hodgeson, an authority of the previous generation (or two) of Islamicists (not to be confused with Islamists), pointed out that Europeans often presented Christianity in a more austere form than Islam.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
ialmisry said:
Jason.Wike said:
Alpo said:
ndigila said:
Alpo said:
Nope
Hodgeson, an authority of the previous generation (or two) of Islamicists (not to be confused with Islamists), pointed out that Europeans often presented Christianity in a more austere form than Islam.
I hope I don't regret asking but what is the difference between an Islamist and an Islamicist? I've seen them use almost synonymously. But I would like your insight.

ndigila

Reaction score
Alpo said:
ndigila said:
Alpo said:
Nope
OOs in Kenya generally don't drink.  Might be an extension of the Coptic practice, I'm not sure, maybe the Coptics in the forum can chime in.  Charismatics typically don't drink, but I don't think that's unique to Kenya.