• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Kim Jong IL Converts to Christianity

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
umm..ok...  Never mind

P.S. I am sure he was a great guy, on the inside.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Marc-  Did you take Annoying Sauce this weekend?

Are we not supposed to love our enemies, do good to those who hurt us, pray for those who do spitefully use us? Or do you get a big kick out of being crankier-than-thou?

Give it a rest.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:

Are we not supposed to love our enemies, do good to those who hurt us, pray for those who do spitefully use us? Or do you get a big kick out of being crankier-than-thou?

Give it a rest.
Who's getting cranky here? ???

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
biro said:

Give it a rest.
Who's getting cranky here? ???
I don't consider myself a cranky person, but another thread, after the first one went so well?

And for the record, I hope that P.S. is sarcastic. I will refrain from all of the nasty things I want to say about KJL, but look at the North Korean people and read about their plight, and you can guess what I think.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
umm..ok...  Never mind

I feel a little guilty about his death. I was listening to the Voice of Korea this morning (worth getting up at 6 am for the English broadcast). As usual it started with the Song of "Great Leader" Kim Il Sung followed by the Song of "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il and then followed by the news. Much of the news featured “Respected Comrade General" Kim Jong Eun (Un), the twenty something four star general son of Jong Il. Then I started thinking about when Kim Jong Il dies that I would have to listen to his personal song as well before the news and then I started thinking about a trinitarian North Korean religion (Il Sung, Jong Il and Jong Un) fashioning an appropriate iconostasis in my mind. I am afraid my passion for absurdity got the better of me.

For your information Kim Jong Il commissioned (true) and donated (internet hearsay from what I can tell) about a million dollars for the building of The Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.

Reaction score
Opus118 said:
I feel a little guilty about his death. I was listening to the Voice of Korea this morning (worth getting up at 6 am for the English broadcast). As usual it started with the Song of "Great Leader" Kim Il Sung followed by the Song of "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il and then followed by the news. Much of the news featured “Respected Comrade General" Kim Jong Eun (Un), the twenty something four star general son of Jong Il. Then I started thinking about when Kim Jong Il dies that I would have to listen to his personal song as well before the news and then I started thinking about a trinitarian North Korean religion (Il Sung, Jong Il and Jong Un) fashioning an appropriate iconostasis in my mind. I am afraid my passion for absurdity got the better of me.
Opus, you sometimes come out with the best stuff.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I think we should all hold hands and hug it out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MiD_U4CHQ

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
From http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,431310,00.html

But in North Korea, freedom of religion exists only in name, and the reasoning behind Kim's current favoring of the Orthodox religion remains unclear. What is known is that the dictator first came up with the idea of building the church on trip to Russia in a 2002 during which he visited an Orthodox house of worship.

The next year, he sent four young men from the newly established North Korean Orthodox Committee -- all of whom had worked for the North Korean intelligence service -- for spiritual training at the Orthodox Seminary in Moscow. During a crash course, the men were taught to become servants of the Church. There, they exchanged their dark suits with Kim's insignia for priests' robes. Following their visit to the seminary, the freshly baptized Christians, who had previously known nothing but the personal ideology of Kim Jong-Il and his father, were sent to the far eastern Russian city of Vladivostok for practical experience. Fyodor Kim, one of North Korea's new Orthodox deacons, admitted that it had been "very difficult" to adopt the Orthodox religion. But he didn't have much choice: the "Dear Leader" had already made the decision to build the church.
How could the Russian Church allow a forced conversion?

John Ward

Reaction score
Is there a reason for these threads?

Especially in the news section? Maybe I'm missing something.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
umm..ok...  Never mind

You did that just for the intertainment. It is amazing how many people bite. Thanks for making my morning.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This just in... Video of N. Koreans in mourning:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/19/north-koreans-mourn-loss-of-leader-video_n_1157231.html

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Marc1152 said:
This just in... Video of N. Koreans in mourning:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/19/north-koreans-mourn-loss-of-leader-video_n_1157231.html
What you dont see is right off of the camera view there's a military member pointing a gun at the man's child's head saying "Make it good....."

PP

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
Opus118 said:
Opus, you sometimes come out with the best stuff.
Fixed.